Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old Sunday 18th November 2012, 11:56   #651
Andrew H

here we go again....

Another attempt at 'Proper' Acylics.......maybe I shouldnt post WIP's incase the do go wrong, then I can deny ever doing anything in the first instance..
Click image for larger version

Name:	new painting 001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	414938
Old Sunday 25th November 2012, 11:46   #652
Andrew H

Being surrounded by failures, Im never going to post any more 'WIP'S untill I have somthing completed....!!!! I could be some time.
Old Sunday 25th November 2012, 13:32   #653
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
Being surrounded by failures, Im never going to post any more 'WIP'S untill I have somthing completed....!!!! I could be some time.
My own experience is that I have many, many failures. But I often decide to keep working on them anyway. Often they turn out to be OK if not great successes. I don't know if this will apply to you but I think it might be worthwhile continuing to work on them just to see what happens.

I'm sure that there are some artists who plan out a work and have it go just the way they planned from start to finish. But for many I think there's a good deal of turning failures into successes by just finding a way to workaround the problem. That's my method anyway. Not that it always works.....................

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 26th November 2012, 00:31   #654
colleenc

Quote:
None of my paintings are ever really finished. I just decide to stop. They get put away worked over or thrown out after being stored a while
I'm no good at judging them just after being done. I'm trying to get a body of acceptable work done which means if I want ten good works ill need to do around 30 or more. Sometimes my skills are not up to my vision and I have to wait up to a year before I can say oh yeah I can do it now. A work in progress lets it all hang out an makes one accountable in a way a just present the final work does not. Don't think. Just go onto the next one

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th December 2012, 13:47   #655
Andrew H

Note to self........
'next time you visit berkshire, take the good camera with the LONG lens, and not the silly little one'.....Red Kites cruising all over the place within Spitting Distance........I swear they were all laughing at me.....

Name:	Roys 80th Birthday 017.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	419706
Old Monday 17th December 2012, 16:31   #656
JTMB

As to failed paintings, or successful paintings, here is a story from a workshop I took last year. The workshop instructor is internationally known (and an excellent instructor, and great person). The topics of 'when is something done' and 'do you have failed paintings, and how often' came up. He answered the second question by telling a story about one of HIS heroes, another internationally known painter and author of several books with many awards to his credit. Our instructor was at his mentor's house and wound up opening the door (by mistake) that went to his mentor's basement. On the floor of the basement, a foot deep in places, were paintings that his mentor had become frustrated with and heaved down the steps into the basement, where they remained, apparently for posterity. There ensued a discussion about how frequently the older painter had 'bad' paintings, something which my instructor thought almost never happened to his idol. It happened often.

The interesting other point, however, is that the 'failures' lining the basement would be masterpieces to lesser painters and no doubt many clients of the famous painter as well. I've played music for decades now, and it's a similar phenomenon with music and painting I think. The scale of skill in both pursuits is pretty much open-ended. No matter how good you get, there's always someone out there much better, and some that you swear are in a different part of the universe that you'll ever be able to even visit, let alone inhabit. Yet people at that level aren't happy with many of their results either...! So no matter how good you get, your standards rise and there will always be 'failed' paintings. Just this year I pulled out all the paintings I did in the first two years I started painting (in 2008) and threw the vast majority of them in the garbage (kept a few particularly bad ones as well as the 'good' ones for encouragement when comparing them to where I am now). When I first did them, I was pretty proud of a couple of them, never having expected I would be painting and drawing at all. Now, I wouldn't want anyone else to see them.

There is another well-known watercolorist in our area who has been published internationally and has excellent sales of her work. I watched a demo she did and someone asked what percentage of her paintings came out 'good' in her view. She said her ratio is 1:20 - 1 she judges good enough to frame and sell versus 19 that don't cut it. Again, her 'failures' would be prized creations by most of the watercolorists I know.

Interesting commentary on perception and artistic psychology I guess.
www.johntubbsart.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th December 2012, 22:22   #657
Lykos

good speak John!!!...and sorry Andrew ..I laugh about your words..that they all laughing at you

http://lykos1003.cabanova.com/
Old Tuesday 1st January 2013, 20:34   #658
Andrew H

New Year, New Horizons

So, 2013.......A new year, and so a new chapter in the sketchbook.
Looking back over the pages, Ive covered some good distance along the path of discovery. Ive learnt that there are many twists and turns, and plenty of pitfalls in producing works of Art. Ive followed the signs and listened to the Muses & Sages along the way, and understood the pain that they have also endured along their chosen path.
I compare my first scribble to what I have infront of me now, And yes, Im a happy person. ! I have finally beaten the demons and kept my promise of producing art with a title of 'Fishing Landscapes'. I have a few minor tweeks to perform, but having stepped back and looked at the near final item, Yes Im happy once more.
Ill post it (with kind permission of the moderators) and move on to more that I already have roughly sketched. Im ever hopefull that I can transfer the style into Avian art and still hold a place here amongst my peers....

If all proceeds as planned, I may close this sketchbook and open another, but lets wait and see what the path looks like further down valley.......

Old Tuesday 8th January 2013, 09:51   #659
Bigshent
Biddulph Birder

Ill look forward to seeing the fishing landscapes. Are we talking fishing vessels or a Chap stood on the rocks whiling the time away like I enjoy.
Old Tuesday 8th January 2013, 19:34   #660
Andrew H

Mainly people working in the fishing industry, but will include boats, reflections on water and maybe a few abstract patterns made by the boats and their reflections....Id like to add some coastal scenes, (Rocks waves etc). All my material is based around the Harbour of Newlyn and the fish market, with over 19 years of photography on this one subject alone.....
Old Saturday 12th January 2013, 14:20   #661
Andrew H

Name:	GIRL PAMELA (PZ26).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	422986

Hoping the Moderators dont delete me.......but as promised a while back, The very first of my acylic paintings (and for this year).....'Girl Pamela' (PZ26)
Im working on a theme of 'Newlyn and its Environs'. This will include the boats, the people who work there and anything else that catches my eye......
Given time, Ill try to steer towards Avian Wildlife, but for now this is me and my style...
Ive learnt a from a few mistakes along the way, I was afraid of the A3 paper to start with, so opted for somthing smaller, only to find everything was getting crammed in...A larger shhet will be the way forward, even if i only use the middle of it. I had a few distractions and failures along the way, but with any luck, the next one will be an improvement....
Old Friday 18th January 2013, 02:44   #662
cjoakley

agree with all that's been said about failures...key is to just keep going...as Collen rightly says - move on to the next one...

Looking forward to more of the fishing series...first one is a great composition...and such vibrant colour! Off to a flying start for the new year...
Old Friday 18th January 2013, 16:06   #663
Andrew H

Cheers Chris,
Next one is already sketched out and ready to go for this weekend. Not sure how many I can post before the Moderators give me a warning for non avian art.
Old Friday 18th January 2013, 16:46   #664
Bigshent
Biddulph Birder

Quote:
Cheers Chris,
Next one is already sketched out and ready to go for this weekend. Not sure how many I can post before the Moderators give me a warning for non avian art.
Stick a gull in Job done Dont give up with the birds fella keep plodding on as I do
Old Sunday 27th January 2013, 10:45   #665
Andrew H

Name:	Mike 'Butts' Buttery.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	425521

Started doing this in acylics, but lost the enthusiasm, so a quick watercolour to help the process......
Old Sunday 24th March 2013, 12:35   #666
Andrew H

and so, the second in the series is done....

Name:	Newlyn Painting.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	433835
Already my style has changed a great deal, but the main lesson Ive learnt with this one is to make sure the initial sketch is done properly...saves having to guess the missing bits and make errors along the way - of which there are a few ! I got lost around the blue glove, so the detail isnt the best..but the lessons are there to be learnt...
In your eyes, is the change of style going in the right direction, or should I stay in the simple mode ?

Next one will have to be Avian Art !
Old Sunday 24th March 2013, 18:23   #667
colleenc

advice from me and I got it from so many big name artists and teachers, don't worry over "style" Your style comes from lots of painting, not trying to make one. just paint. I think of it like handwriting. We all get penmanship lessons in school. We all copy the same letters and strokes and we are supposed to make them as exact as possible to the model, but we all end up with very unique handwriting that everyone recognizes as ours. REal style comes from within, you cant help it , it is hardwired into your nervous system and way of making marks.
not what you consciously decide to do, but in the fast and furious creating of your work.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 24th March 2013, 19:31   #668
Andrew H

Thank you colleen, Style does come from quantity.......I guess I worry too much about the end result. (and Im sure the MODs will boot me off if i dont do somthing feathery sometime soon)
Old Thursday 9th May 2013, 18:16   #669
Andrew H

Well, after a few false starts, I decided to go for the Avian Art, maybe to prove that i could do it above all else....

Name:	paintings 006.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	442017
Made a good start with the Pheasant, but after leaving it for a few weeks, could n't get back into the difficult bit of doing the feathers, So I thought Id do something different again.....

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	442018
A bust of some famous Mallorcan Artist - Hermengild CARAMASA, but this went the same way as the first.....
My decision for now, is to get back into my Fishing Series and get back into doing what I am comfortable with. I may make a comeback with somthing that fit well on this site....But for now Ill aim at improving on what Ive done so far.....
Old Saturday 11th May 2013, 12:22   #670
Andrew H

A short diversion into Watercolour Pencils.....Sadly from a very poor photo, and not sitting outside for real......

Name:	Grey Waggie.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	442318
Old Sunday 25th August 2013, 11:56   #671
Andrew H

Well, Im till around....and gently perusing threads and blogs.....
Trying to paint anything is taking second (or third) place at the moment, due to the company being reorganised in a big way, which means having to apply for my job (again). So my mind has been elsewhere......That being said, my application forms are done and posted, so just need to wait and see the final outcome.
Ive started another large acylic painting (A3 is large for me !) in the same vein as that which I posted at #666. A subject which Im trying to exploit and become well conversant with. No WiP photos to add distraction, Im keen not to keep failing by doing so...But hope to get it completed within the next few weeks....
Old Friday 7th February 2014, 13:34   #672
julesn

Lovely drawings Andrew.Like you I have just started drawing again after many years.i have just Joined this Group and I have put a Drawing on here today of a wolf, next drawing I will have ago at doing is of a bird what I Captured on my camera of a Parrot Cross bill very rare to this country so I was told.Keep up the Drawing and By for now.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: