Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 19th May 2008, 23:08   #1
AliceSuttle

My Surrealism [birds]

Hi!

I love to draw Surrealism. Not all of my drawings include birds, but I've been practicing and defining a style for myself recently and I'd love to know what you all think!

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?i...audadesch2.jpg
"Saudades" - Canary and Parakeet

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?i...device1ok2.jpg
"Useless device" - Sparrowhawk

I'm also working on another ink drawing currently!

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27655960ne8.jpg
Untitled and unfinished - Herring Gull

---

I would love to get comments and criticism from you all! :)

Last edited by AliceSuttle : Monday 19th May 2008 at 23:11.
Old Monday 19th May 2008, 23:19   #2
timwootton

Hi Alice - firstly, a huge welcome to Birdforum - glad to have you aboard!!!!
I think you have some very accomplished techniques working and I really like the design element to your compositions. My total favourite of those shown is the pair of birds, joined by (or attempting to seperate from?) the weblike structure. It's a perfectly balanced design and beautifully drawn. I, for one, look forward to seeing more of your work.
Old Monday 19th May 2008, 23:40   #3
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

Welcome to birdforum - these are some fascinating images. I like how you successfully mix the realistic birds with an irreal element, something that I used to do during teen mood swings. Great to have you on board to add a different element of wildlife art to the forum, and I eagerly look forward to more.
Old Tuesday 20th May 2008, 06:58   #4
EliS

Welcome abroad! These look great, my fave must have been the gull, it's a challageing species to draw and you succeeded in that well. These pieces evoke all kinds of feelings, by the way, and probably everyone ends up thinking of different things. I don't know what you had in mind, but the first two remind me of the glue traps set for birds in Southern Europe. And the last one - well, the gulls do move in big legions. :)
Old Tuesday 20th May 2008, 20:54   #5
ARTHUR BISHOP

Welcome to BF Alice
looking forward to seeing more

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st May 2008, 08:27   #6
Woody

Hi Alice, welcome to BF.

Your gull reminded me of one which made a nest on a rooftop in central London. Every time anyone walked past 'his' roof he would launch determined attacks, swooping and diving at the head of the unfortunate passer-by. I thought he was great entertainment, not any real threat to anyone. But, over a weekend while the commuters were away, the gulls were mysteriously disappeared by persons unknown... The thought of a gull donning a spiked helm to go into battle with marauding council nest removers did make me chuckle.

Anyway, like the others have already said, looking forward to more.

Mike
Old Thursday 22nd May 2008, 01:31   #7
birdman88.com

Hi Alice,
When I saw your artwork it made me think of an artist that I met last summer in Bar Harbor, Maine USA.
It took me awhile but check out her work here http://www.wallofthorns.com/gallery.html
I wonder what you think of her work?

Lenny
Old Friday 23rd May 2008, 23:42   #8
AliceSuttle

Thank you all so much! Your comments are really appreciated. =)

Birdman: Wow, her work is certainly very interesting, I had a quick glance this morning. I will make sure to have a more thorough look at some point, so thanks for showing me!
Old Monday 13th October 2008, 17:10   #9
AliceSuttle

I finished this drawing recently (after not touching it for a very long time) and would love to know what you think about it!

http://g.virbcdn.com/cdnImages/noRes...gewithtext.jpg
"Stand Before God"

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our inquities, like the wind, have taken us away." Isaiah 64:6

I took a massive break in between starting and finishing this and I'm disappointed with the outcome. I wish I worked harder on it but I understand the mistakes I made and I'm already planning my next drawing!
I just thought I'd share it anyway as I haven't finished a piece of art in ages due to lack of motivation and whatnot. I also like the concept, so maybe I'll develop it further one day. =D

Take a look at my other art and photographs!
(I should have my own website soon, hooray!)

Last edited by AliceSuttle : Monday 13th October 2008 at 17:17.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: