Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 20th May 2008, 12:00   #1
CrimsonTopaz
Aves, The Stars, And Beyond...

Got sketches?

Hi guys ive been looking in the forum for some time now and have noticed that a lot of you have drawn some wonderful Pencil sketches.
What my aim was to do (with this thread if it hit's off with you guys) was to create a seperate 'Area' for all our rough or finished sketches.
This tread will also be a place to show some of my 'other artwork' that would never make it into the gallery and to talk about future projects.
I hope you will all join in and heres some of my sketches to start things off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Osprey.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	140946  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kes.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	140947  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pied,white waggy.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	140948  
Old Tuesday 20th May 2008, 14:47   #2
birdman88.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTopaz View Post
Hi guys ive been looking in the forum for some time now and have noticed that a lot of you have drawn some wonderful Pencil sketches.
What my aim was to do (with this thread if it hit's off with you guys) was to create a seperate 'Area' for all our rough or finished sketches.
This tread will also be a place to show some of my 'other artwork' that would never make it into the gallery and to talk about future projects.
I hope you will all join in and heres some of my sketches to start things off
I Really like your sketches, in particular the osprey---the feet! I really struggle with feet and I usually try to hide them .
Old Tuesday 20th May 2008, 16:03   #3
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman88.com View Post
I Really like your sketches, in particular the osprey---the feet! I really struggle with feet and I usually try to hide them .
Yes, I noticed that too. There was a 'foot-fetish' thread on here a little while back - it ought to be resurrected (I for one, consistantly fail to get them right).
Lovely drawings Sam.
Old Tuesday 20th May 2008, 20:20   #4
ARTHUR BISHOP

Hi Sam nice to see you posting here.looking forward to seeing a lot more.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st May 2008, 08:34   #5
Woody

Hi Sam, good to have you join us in the best bit of BF. Post away, it's great to see more and more work by different artists appearing on these threads.

Mike
Old Wednesday 21st May 2008, 14:50   #6
CrimsonTopaz

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
Yes, I noticed that too. There was a 'foot-fetish' thread on here a little while back - it ought to be resurrected (I for one, consistantly fail to get them right).
Lovely drawings Sam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTHUR BISHOP View Post
Hi Sam nice to see you posting here.looking forward to seeing a lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Hi Sam, good to have you join us in the best bit of BF. Post away, it's great to see more and more work by different artists appearing on these threads.

Mike
Thanks guys, im glad you like my sketches, ive got a near endless amount of them
As for the feet, im not to bad at feet. I like bird of prey feet (like the osprey) because thier feet are so large and detailed (that's not part of the fetish is it?)
If it's one thing i hate drawing on a bird and i ALWAYS have trouble with them, is beaks!
I am trying to draw a great tit as a request at the minuet and the beak is really annoying me
I dont know how many times i have sketched the damn thing only to look at it and five seconds later rub it out
Any tips, they would be greatly appreciated
Old Wednesday 21st May 2008, 15:51   #7
CrimsonTopaz

Another example of my obsession with bird of prey feet!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Golden eagle.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	141114  
Old Wednesday 21st May 2008, 16:12   #8
timwootton

Ah - found the very thread. Have a glance through this Sam - although like most threads posted in this particular area of BF, things may go a bit off-track from time to time http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=96163
Old Wednesday 21st May 2008, 16:45   #9
timwootton

Head, anyone?

Sam - here's something I've been working on (it'll possibly ring a bell with some of the guys). I aim to approach passerines, in time, so it may be the turn of the great tit fairly shortly. Perhaps it will be of some small help.
Edit - looking at some of the handwritten notes, you may need to drag the images into Photoshop to read what it says. If you can't read it, let me know and I'll do a transcript.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gullskul.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	141129  Click image for larger version

Name:	GullHead.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	141130  Click image for larger version

Name:	gullBil.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	141131  Click image for larger version

Name:	GulBil2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	141132  
Old Wednesday 21st May 2008, 19:00   #10
timwootton

Great Tit - Construction of a portrait

Hi Sam.
I have been meaning to make this group of constructions, so in many ways I ought to thank you for focusing my attention.
With regard to portraiture, I am of the opinion that a basic understanding of anatomy goes a long way to solving many of the problems such as bill shape, expression and form.
As with the Great Black Back head studies I have started with a fairly accurate study of a great tit's skull, with particular attention being paid to the visible bits (in life) - ie the bill, gape line and location of the eye. These elements are intrinsically linked and, probably, have a unique relationship per species (although closely related species would blur the distinction). Additionally, it is the relationship between these three elements - bill, eye and gape - which help to create that 'personality' and character of the distinct species. And, although such things as foreshortening and perspective, lighting and motion can and will effect the way this relationship is perceived, they still remain locked together.
I then traced the drawing of the GT's skull and added the soft bits' outlines (the feathers, eyeball and membranes) in three different postures - 'fluffed-up', aggressive and relaxed. Species such as the Great Tit offer excellent opportunities to construct the expression through the plumage pattern - especially around the face and head.
Having drawn the basic feather patterns and shapes I then simply scribbled in a surface pattern of feathers.
With regard to your 'bill problem' - the GT has, essentially, a conical bill and can be simplified as such - detail of colour and lighting added later, bringing it to life.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTSkul800.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	141141  Click image for larger version

Name:	GTHead1800.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	141142  Click image for larger version

Name:	GTHead2800.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	141143  Click image for larger version

Name:	GTHead3800.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	141144  
Old Wednesday 21st May 2008, 19:05   #11
timwootton

Feather pattern and tone is added to the basic construction. . .
See how the structure remains exactly the same whilst the character and expression of the bird is suggested by the way the feathers are held - raised crown: aggitated etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTHeadTone1800.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	141149  Click image for larger version

Name:	GTHeadTone2800.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	141150  Click image for larger version

Name:	GTHeadTone300.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	141151  

Last edited by timwootton : Wednesday 21st May 2008 at 19:09.
Old Wednesday 21st May 2008, 21:27   #12
birdman88.com

On-line drawing class!

Tim ,
Thank you so much for posting this.
It's like having on on line drawing class. It in incredibly helpful for me. I've never felt like i could successfully sketch from life.Because everything changes so quickly.Even at the bird feeder , they in a different postition before I can even get started.
I've always depended on copying a photo(sometimes even with permission).
I Have Busby'ds drawing birds, and many of Tunnicliffe's. Can we see more?
Old Thursday 22nd May 2008, 10:20   #13
CrimsonTopaz

Thanks Tim, heres a preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
Hi Sam.
I have been meaning to make this group of constructions, so in many ways I ought to thank you for focusing my attention.
With regard to portraiture, I am of the opinion that a basic understanding of anatomy goes a long way to solving many of the problems such as bill shape, expression and form.
As with the Great Black Back head studies I have started with a fairly accurate study of a great tit's skull, with particular attention being paid to the visible bits (in life) - ie the bill, gape line and location of the eye. These elements are intrinsically linked and, probably, have a unique relationship per species (although closely related species would blur the distinction). Additionally, it is the relationship between these three elements - bill, eye and gape - which help to create that 'personality' and character of the distinct species. And, although such things as foreshortening and perspective, lighting and motion can and will effect the way this relationship is perceived, they still remain locked together.
I then traced the drawing of the GT's skull and added the soft bits' outlines (the feathers, eyeball and membranes) in three different postures - 'fluffed-up', aggressive and relaxed. Species such as the Great Tit offer excellent opportunities to construct the expression through the plumage pattern - especially around the face and head.
Having drawn the basic feather patterns and shapes I then simply scribbled in a surface pattern of feathers.
With regard to your 'bill problem' - the GT has, essentially, a conical bill and can be simplified as such - detail of colour and lighting added later, bringing it to life.
Thank you so much Tim, you are a fountain of infomation
and I can read your notes perfectly.
Our techniques are not all that different, i to draw the head then locate the eye and then draw the beak in line with the eye.
(this is why i draw Hummingbirds, beacause thier beaks are long and thin and are very symmetrical)
Your examples of the Great Tit are excellent and as Birdman say's they are a masterclass
Tell me what you think, this is just the 'skeleton' and im not sure if it will look ok with colour.
And if you have anymore sketches for Birdman just post them here, thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	great tit.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	141204  
Old Thursday 22nd May 2008, 12:35   #14
CrimsonTopaz

More unseen stuff

I drew the Swift especially for my Partner, they are his favourite birds and he's happy they are in this country at last!
The Firecrests are an old colour picture like the Flycatchers and Wheatears i posted in the gallery.
More stuff to come....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Firecrests.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	141218  Click image for larger version

Name:	Swift.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	141219  
Old Thursday 22nd May 2008, 13:29   #15
birdman88.com

Hummingbird Photo

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0556.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	141222[/ATTACH]
Hi Sam ,
I know this is not on the topic, but
I thought I would show these pictures to you. She was brought to me last week with a broken wrist.
She was very strong , and ate, and ate, and ate. No use of her right side though. I took her to a great re-hab in Maine. They have a hummingbird room whre they free fly in preparation for release. She probably wont make it because her tiny wrist was so damages, but I tried anyway. I thought you'd find their SWIFT house interesting too. They have a wooden ''Chimney '' right in the middle of it for their night perching. Their site is avianhaven.org

Lenny
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0560.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	141221  
Old Thursday 22nd May 2008, 16:41   #16
timwootton

Sam - the GT is looking absolutely splendid. Just needs the distinctive patterning and it's bound to be an absolute winner - please let's all have a look when it's finished.
Smashing info Lenny - hope the little thing survives, but at least you did your best .
Old Friday 23rd May 2008, 10:05   #17
CrimsonTopaz

A kind man

Quote:
[ATTACH]Attachment 141222[/ATTACH]
Hi Sam ,
I know this is not on the topic, but
I thought I would show these pictures to you. She was brought to me last week with a broken wrist.
She was very strong , and ate, and ate, and ate. No use of her right side though. I took her to a great re-hab in Maine. They have a hummingbird room whre they free fly in preparation for release. She probably wont make it because her tiny wrist was so damages, but I tried anyway. I thought you'd find their SWIFT house interesting too. They have a wooden ''Chimney '' right in the middle of it for their night perching. Their site is avianhaven.org

Lenny
Wow lenny you are a genuine human being for helping, i applaude you
The poor little thing looks lost I hope the re-hab centre can do something for her. What will happen to her if she cannot fly properly?
Do you know what happened to her wing?
It would be really great if you could update us on her progress (you can use this thread if you like, your very welcome to) do you know what species she is? The Swift house sounds great to, just right for a good nights rest

Thanks for the comments (and the help) Tim i will keep you updated with its progress and rest assured you guys will get the first look
Thanks everyone
Old Friday 23rd May 2008, 10:31   #18
EliS

Tim - ever thought of making a "Drawing Birds by Tim Wootton"? Those are fantastic! I think I need to get to the animal museum and do some sceleton scetching there, I think they have at least a crow and a swan. And some owl maybe...

Sam - love your style! I've been a fan of strong use of lines for a while now (ever since seeing Eric Ennions work), and you're using it very succesfully! The ospray is stunning!
Old Friday 23rd May 2008, 11:05   #19
CrimsonTopaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliS View Post
Sam - love your style! I've been a fan of strong use of lines for a while now (ever since seeing Eric Ennions work), and you're using it very succesfully! The ospray is stunning!
Thanks Elis, i like to use the strong lines because i think it makes the subject stand out more and you can still get the amount of shading right to (for example on the thight of the bird)
Old Saturday 24th May 2008, 01:19   #20
birdman88.com

Hi Sam ,
This hummingbird with broken wrist will probably be euthenized (i cant spell it) they'll give her a couple of weeks but if she's got no wheels on the right side she's doomed. I'm volunteering at this re-hab on fridays. They have osprey eggs due to hatch soon, an american woodcock chick, a yllow bellid sapsucker, 3 bald eagles,, on and on.
As far as the species goes she's ruby throated. Around these parts its east, we only get one species , so if you see a hummer in Maine it's a ruby throated.
I MUst show you the pictures taken only a few minutes ago thru my window here at my desk[ this si ,of course the male.ATTACH]141532[/ATTACH]

Name:	DSCN1514-2.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	141533

Name:	DSCN1508.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	141534
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1515.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	141532  
Old Monday 26th May 2008, 08:19   #21
CrimsonTopaz

I have my fingers crossed that the little Ruby Throat will fly Lenny. You are a very kind person to give your time up to help the birds of North America
I think there should be more people in the world like you Lenny and i love your pictures of the splendid male Ruby-throat, they are my favourite hummers (I think they are everyones favourite to! )
Please could you keep us updated on the little Ruby's progress,
Many Thanks...
Old Wednesday 28th May 2008, 08:20   #22
Woody

Nice delicate work Sam. I agree, birds of prey do have brilliant feet!

Mike
Old Saturday 31st May 2008, 12:18   #23
CrimsonTopaz

Thanks Mike, i love your new paintings by the way.
Stunning work
Old Monday 2nd June 2008, 12:19   #24
CrimsonTopaz

It's done!

Tim if your out there, it's done take a look....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	great tit.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	143023  
Old Monday 2nd June 2008, 12:21   #25
EliS

Ooh that is so cute!!! Great work on the details!

Photos of birds:
http://www.flickr.com/elinas_digicorner/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: