• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emerald Toucanet complex (1 Viewer)

ntbirdman

Puebla-Olivares et al. have a new paper on the systematics of the Emerald Toucanet (Aulacorhynchus prasinus) complex in the Auk. I wrote up an exhaustive summary of there results, and those of the previous work on the group, Navarro-Siguenza et al. 2001 (here):

http://slybird.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-many-toucanets-part-1.html
http://slybird.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-many-toucanets-part-2.html

I'd appreciate comments on my write-up, as I have little direct experience with the group. In particular, though, is there anything anyone can add on the status of albivitta in Ecuador? As I point out, Puebla-Olivares et al. (2008) appear to sample albivitta in Ecuador and their phylogeny has them mixed in with the blue and black-throated toucanets of the southern Andes clades, and not the other white-throated albivitta populations in Colombia. This is a very strange result that they do not discuss in the paper.

Cheers,
Nick

In particular, though, is there anything anyone can add on the status of albivitta in Ecuador? As I point out, Puebla-Olivares et al. (2008) appear to sample albivitta in Ecuador and their phylogeny has them mixed in with the blue and black-throated toucanets of the southern Andes clades, and not the other white-throated albivitta populations in Colombia. This is a very strange result that they do not discuss in the paper.

Interesting. I received the paper recently, but haven't had the time to read it yet (and it'll be some time before I do). The taxon albivitta is uncommon, but regular and not really that difficult to find, in the eastern Andes of northern Ecuador. The same applies to cyanolaemus in the south of that country. So, basically, Ridgely & Greenfield got it right in Birds of Ecuador, and so did Restall et al. in Birds of Northern South America. This, of course, is based on appearance, and if the north-east Ecuadorian population really is part of the same clade as albivitta in Colombia and Venezuela is an entirely different issue, though I, based on zoogeography, would be very surprised if north-east Ecuadorian individuals and individuals from adjacent Colombia were part of different clades, as it just doesn't match the pattern shown in other taxa in the region, or what is known about past and present barriers. It too is no real surprise that the map you made based on the field guides is pretty accurate, while the maps in the papers are not. Not really comments to the issues of variations or species limits, but your intro with distributions on the various South American taxa is rather inaccurate. For better, see worldbirdinfo. E.g. it is incorrect that dimidiatus is found south of atrogularis; rather, the latter is found along the east slope of the Andes, while the former, as also evident by the big distribution "block" in south-eastern Peru and adjacent Brazil and Bolivia, is found in hills and lowlands just east (in Peru) or north (in Bolivia) of the Andes. Comparably, the situation in Colombia is a bit more complex, with albivitta on both slopes of the East Andes and east slope of the Central Andes, griseigularis on the west slope of the Central Andes and both slopes of the northern West Andes, and phaeolaemus only on the west slope of the southern West Andes. Also, just to avoid further confusion, you might want to correct the following figure (a bit more than half way down part II):

... a gray-throated bird with reduced yellow on the bill, makes up about 70% of Eastern Andes birds sampled and appearing in no other population...

to

... a gray-throated bird with reduced yellow on the bill, makes up about 80% of Eastern Andes birds sampled and appearing in no other population...

(I haven't checked the numbers in the paper itself, but you indicate 80% on the figure you made)

I have seen quite a lot of albivitta in Ecuador and Venezuela, though only a handful or so in Colombia. Unless there's a lot of grey-throated individuals somewhere in the last of these countries (which of course is entirely possible), they generally have white throats. That said, I'm a bit hesitant when commenting on this, considering that the grey/bluish edge to the throat, while generally present, typically is very pale (sometimes almost white), and only really visible when getting very good views. So, if that's the colour they refer to when saying the throat is grey, it is so pale that it would be easy to miss in the field, instead just calling it white. Even lautus can appear virtually white-throated unless seen well.

Last edited:
Well, I just had a very fast look at the 2001 paper, and did notice a misunderstanding regarding the numbers you indicate. Diagram "A" in fig. 3 should only be used for bill-pattern, as noted in the text below. I.e. they only indicate 80% of EA (East Andes = albivitta) have the bill-pattern of "I" on fig. 1 (which I doubt, but see the final few lines of this post). If it was the entire bird (bill-pattern AND plumage) it would also have been rather problematic, considering that "I" was taken outside the range of albivitta. That said, you are correct that it appears they managed to switch the remaining diagrams in fig. 3, with lower left being supercialiary, lower right being base of mandible, and upper right throat colour. And yes, they did mess up the diagram indicating throat colour. I'll buy most of them, but CA (= Cauca region) and EC (= Ecuador) are completely wrong, and I suspect that applies to EA (= East Andes), too. First, "Cauca Region". Now that's pretty unspecific, but it's either griseigularis or phaeolaemus - neither of which would be 100% white-throated. Secondly, Ecuador. Again rather unspecific, with two possible subspecies. Regardless, they indicate 100% have grey throats, which fail to match both Ecuadorian taxa. This brings up another issue: Perhaps I just have a bad copy, but it is pretty hard to separate what should be grey, whitish-grey and dark grey on that figure. This leads to East Andes: Depending on how exactly they judge it (see my last post), I could perhaps be convinced that around 60% have a whitish grey throat (though as noted earlier, separating the greys is difficult), 20% a light blue throat (e.g. if they by this mean that the throat is blue-tinged), and the remaining 20% a white throat. However, it all fits far better if doing a small switch (yes, another!), and I suspect that's what happened (but could of course be wrong). Basically, CA should have been EA (i.e. East Andes all with white throat), EC should have been CA (Cauca Region all with grey throat), and EA should have been EC (Ecuador with various throat-colours, considering that two subspecies occur in this country, and there could be some intergradation). For people without access to the paper, I have attached the diagram showing throat-colours (the original and a corrected version). GR-VS are basically the various populations in the nominate group and wagleri (all correctly marked as white-throated), CR and EP are the caeruleogularis group and cognatus (both correctly marked as violet-blue), SM is lautus (correctly marked as... some type of grey), then the problematic groups I discussed earlier with MA in between (Magdalena Basin; griseigularis correctly marked as being grey-throated), NY is North Yungas (two colours; presumably blue cyanolaemus, and dark grey being cyanolaemus-atrogularis intergrades), and finally SY that accounts for atrogularis and dimidiatus (both correctly marked as black-throated). I haven't had a good look at the diagrams for bill-pattern, superciliary and colour of base of mandible, but seeing how it appears they switched a fair percentage of the things I did check, I'd take entire figure 3 with a grain of salt. That, of course, doesn't necessarily devaluated the remaining part of the paper, though I agree entirely with your comment on the frustration involved when seeing a paper of this type without a specific list of the specimens they used (to see if my interpretation of switches is right/wrong, line up specific features with specific localities, and, not at least, to get a better idea of the sampling of the various taxa).

Attachments

• original.GIF
    original.GIF
    24.2 KB · Views: 234
  • corrected.gif
    corrected.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Rasmus,

These comments are excellent, thank you for lending insight into the complex. I've incorporated some of your corrections, but rather than try to re-write the post incorporating all you've mentioned, I just linked to your comments here. I can't believe I didn't notice that it was bill, not bill and face pattern, in the one figure. Silly me. Your switches in the figure seem to make sense.

So, do cyanolaemus and atrogularis intergrade? I thought one source in my reading about this group said you can find both forms coexisting in places. Can't remember which one it was offhand...

Thanks,
Nick

So, do cyanolaemus and atrogularis intergrade? I thought one source in my reading about this group said you can find both forms coexisting in places. Can't remember which one it was offhand...

They do occur sympatrically, but work by Haffer, 1974, suggests some intergradation: However, this was based on bill-patterns, so if there is some intergradation in throat-colour is unclear. Comparable to my earlier comments, it also depends on exactly what is meant by dark grey. If that includes grey that is so dark that it would qualify for near-black, it could be that these simply are atrogularis. Again, unfortunately, the lack of specific specimen info makes it completely impossible to check the results, and thereby also impossible to check whether my earlier interpretations were correct/incorrect. I have not spend enough time at appropriate localities in northern Peru to comment, based on my own field experiance, on exactly what happens where these two taxa meet.

Last edited:
Suggested taxonomy:

Aulacorhynchus, subgenus Ramphoxanthus

Aulacorhynchus wagleri

Aulacorhynchus prasinus
A. p. prasinus
A. p. warneri
A. p. virescens
A. p. volcanius

Aulacorhynchus caeruleigularis
A. c. caeruleigularis
A. c. cognatus

Aulacorhynchus albivitta
A. a. lautus
A. a. griseigularis
A. a. phaeolaemus
A. a. albivitta

Aulacorhynchus atrogularis
A. a. cyanolaemus
A. a. atrogularis
A. a. dimidiatus

To pick up on another thread re the AOU-NACC proposal, there is a (subjective) review of voice in this group, throughout its range, with sonograms, in this paper. See pp. 27 & 30-33.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...sion_of_BirdLife_International's_new_taxonomy

(And lots of other proposed taxonomic changes.)

AOU has not been very keen on using these kinds of reviews as a basis for jolly obvious taxonomic decision making in the past (cf. proposals on Zimmerius) so probably more will be needed. There are some small vocal differences here, but they do not attain the extent of differences seen between sympatric Aulacorhynchus, so splits may be difficult to justify for toucans, a group where plumage can vary extraordinarily intra-species.

Proposal (777) to SACC

Recognize additional species in the Aulacorhynchus prasinus toucanet complex

777. Recognize additional species in the Aulacorhynchus “prasinus toucanet complex: A. Split Emerald Toucanet into two species, i.e. Aulacorhynchus prasinus (Middle America) Aulacorhynchus albivitta (South America) (Kevin Winker); B. Adopt English names Northern Emerald-Toucanet and Southern Emerald-Toucanet for the two species above. PASSED (23 May 2021)

777. Recognize additional species in the Aulacorhynchus “prasinus toucanet complex (Kevin Winker). C. Split South American populations into two species, i.e. Aulacorhynchus albivitta (Colombia and Venezuela) and A. atrogularis. DID NOT PASS

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back