Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 29th January 2004, 22:07   #1
pinkpigeon

Question Birding around Stockholm

Im off for a weekend break in Stockholm with Ryan Air (flights just £6!!) in mid March. i was wondering if anyone could tell me if, and where, there are any spots within day tripping distance from Stockholm?

I would also love to see all those owls and if anyone knows any sites near Stockholm that would grand.

Many Thanks

Ben
Old Friday 30th January 2004, 00:42   #2
Tero
Couch birder

They have a pretty good subway system. Not sure what parks that would get you to. The whole city is by the sea, so some places near the shore should be accessible.

I have not been there for 20 years. Looked this up:
Stockholm's Ekoparken is the world's first national city park, a huge set of green lungs which stretch out in a 12km arch from Ulriksdals Slott in the north to the archipelago islands of Fjaderholmarna in the south.

This greenland is so large that you need a full day of serious hiking to explore it, by foot during the warmer months or on skis or long-distance skates in winter.

The inexpensive Brunnsviken Runt boat trip is an excellent way to tour the Ekopark including three royal parks, Djurgarden, Haga and Ulriksdal, and the palaces of Ulriksdals Slott, Gustav III's Paviljong, Haga and Rosendals Slott.

from
http://www.vvtel.com/vvtravels/swede...vel-parks.html
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 30th January 2004, 09:58   #3
Michael Frankis
conehead

One thing to watch out for: Ryan Air doesn't fly to Stockholm, it flies to some little regional airport about 50 miles from Stockholm - from what I've heard, public transport from the airport to Stockholm centre usually costs quite a lot more than the flight itself.

I've also read (somewhere, I forget where unfortunately) that there is some very good birding to be had fairly close to the airport used; not sure how you'd get to it from the airport though.

Otherwise, there might be more info available at these sites

Sveriges Ornitologiska Förening
http://www.sofnet.org/

Svalan
http://svalan.environ.se/rappsyst/swedish_daily.asp

Michael
Old Friday 30th January 2004, 11:17   #4
Tero
Couch birder

Stockholm official airport is also far away! It takes you close to an hour by bus. Arlanda I think.
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 30th January 2004, 11:35   #5
Michael Frankis
conehead

Just looked at Ryanair's destinations list - they go to two airports in the Stockholm area:
Stockholm Västerås VST
Stockholm S. Skavsta NYO
Which one does yours go to?

Västerås is about 50-60 miles west of Stockholm, I can't find the other one on my maps. Arlanda is about 20 miles north of the centre, so a lot closer.

Michael
Old Friday 30th January 2004, 12:25   #6
pinkpigeon

My flight goes to Vasteras, hadnt realise it was quite so far out of town, but guess I'll get to see some nice countryside.

Thanks for help so far
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: