Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Saturday 17th January 2009, 06:59   #251
BinoBoy

Legend porros

Took the 8x42 Legend porros for a spin today. They really are amazingly good for the price. I'm kicking myself for missing out on the 12x50 porros. The 12x50 Legend roofs I got from Sports Authority are astonishingly good for what they normally sell for. They only have a 58 degree AFOV though. The porros give you 66 degrees! If the optical quality is as good, they could be sweet for waterfowl. Has anyone tried them? They're inexpensive enough that I'm considering ordering a pair sight unseen.

Another interesting item they have is a Brunton Macroscope. It's a 7x40 monocular that focuses to 18 inches. I've got both Papilios and like them, but the 5.7mm exit pupil on the Brunton is appealing. They're anywhere from $105 to $175 on the web and SW has them for $86. Not a huge bargain, but cheap enough that it's tempting to get one just to see how they stack up against the Pentax. Brunton's binoculars don't have much of a following, but the customer reviews of the Macroscope I've been able to find on the web have all been positive. Maybe I'll take my Papilios to the store and compare.

I wonder if Natchez Shooter's Supply will have Shot Show demo model Zeiss's again this year. I bought a pair of 7x42 for $930 after last year's show thanks to a post here on the forum. I took them to Bosque Del Apache Wildlife Refuge this past weekend. They delivered awesome views of the Sandhill Cranes and Snow Geese at dawn and sunset. They're just crazy bright! I'd love to have the 10x42 if they were affordable. Worth watching their site next week.
Old Saturday 17th January 2009, 07:14   #252
Kevin Purcell

Over on 24hourcampfire there is a little more on the iFish coupon for the Zen-Ray EDs which can take the price down to $342!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...=0#Post2734713

Quote:
My price was $342 delivered which compares to $499 for the ProMaster and $479 for the Hawke. To get the discounts you need to 1st register on the Zen Ray site (this gets you a 10% off) and then they are currently offering coupons that can give you additional savings. For now, there is a $90 coupon (code "ifish") for the Zen 8x43 ED which together with the 10% discount gets you to $342 delivered to your door. They also shipped mine within a few hours from the order and sent me a notice and tracking number. Lastly these (new 2009 models) have a lifetime transferrable warranty.
My sight unseen guess based on appearance and specs (see my other posts) is that this is more a Hawke Frontier ED "clone" than a Promaster "clone" though all three may be out of the same factory. But don't hold me to that.

Steve C and I should have them in the next day or so. So expect some first hand impressions in the next few days.
Old Saturday 17th January 2009, 15:27   #253
FrankD

This should prove interesting Kevin. I have one on the way as well. Hopefully today actually.

If the optical performance is what I expect it to be then $342 has to be one of the best deals going for binoculars period.
Old Saturday 17th January 2009, 17:05   #254
Kevin Purcell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
This should prove interesting Kevin. I have one on the way as well. Hopefully today actually.

If the optical performance is what I expect it to be then $342 has to be one of the best deals going for binoculars period.
The view is everything. Sensible people will wait for the results. But I hope they don't drop the promotion in the meantime (shades of the post-review Hawke ED price increase from $429 to $479 in the back of my mind).
Old Saturday 17th January 2009, 19:26   #255
FrankD

I have to admit that I was thinking something along those lines. I guess we will have to see how much these take off with the general buying public.
Old Saturday 17th January 2009, 21:25   #256
fguo79

I registered in the Zen-Ray site, no 10% off shown. Any thoughts?
Old Saturday 17th January 2009, 21:38   #257
lulubelle

I logged onto the Zen site and when I go through the checkout process, even using the "ifish coupon", my total comes up to $389.94. Is the 10% automatic or do I have to do something else to activate it?
Latest lifer: Red-billed Pigeon
Old Saturday 17th January 2009, 21:59   #258
FrankD

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a true hypocrite....

Didn't you just get the Promasters?

Sorry Laura...I could not resist.

:-)

...can't help you with the coupon though I am over checking 24hourcampfire as we speak.
Old Saturday 17th January 2009, 22:12   #259
lulubelle

Hmm..... your report on the Zen sounded really good!!! Besides, if I can get Promaster quality for $342 - why not?!!!
Old Sunday 18th January 2009, 01:41   #260
FrankD

Just to tack an FYI on this thread....

...the $342 for the Zen Ray was a bit of a freak incident. Apparently there was a loophole in the ordering system and coupon stacking was allowed. It shouldn't have been and they have remedied the situation.

In addition....

...they are offering a refund on shipping to birdforum members for the next month or so.
Old Tuesday 20th January 2009, 01:54   #261
BinoBoy

Cascade porro 8x42

Adorama has them for $190. Not a huge bargain, but the best price I've seen so far.

http://www.adorama.com/LD842CIF.html...cade&item_no=1
Old Tuesday 20th January 2009, 17:57   #262
falcondude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Just to tack an FYI on this thread....

...the $342 for the Zen Ray was a bit of a freak incident. Apparently there was a loophole in the ordering system and coupon stacking was allowed. It shouldn't have been and they have remedied the situation.

In addition....

...they are offering a refund on shipping to birdforum members for the next month or so.
mine is $359 for a 8x after shipping charge refund. Not lucky as those who get in. But I am pretty happy with this.
Old Tuesday 20th January 2009, 22:44   #263
DHB

You guys are killing me......... I have the 8x42 ProMaster and the Summit on the way..............ARGH
Old Wednesday 21st January 2009, 02:02   #264
FrankD

Don't worry Dave. They will be there before you know it. If they are anything like the EDs then they will be well worth the wait. Trust me.

Truth be told, after having tried the EDs, I am genuinely curious about the two lower priced models. I would love to see what they could do at the lower price points.

And for what it is worth, $190 for the Cascade porros is a good price. They were selling for $280 originally and, in my opinion, they are probably the most underappreciated bin out there.
Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 04:01   #265
Josef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirderSean View Post
eagleoptics.com
and
optics4birding.com

I suspect other sites/stores will be coming down to this price too, sooner or later.
Just a heads up, I don't know if anyone else has had any problems with optics4birding but about a month ago I sent them a check ($77) for an item, they cashed the check on Jan. 8th. On the 14th they said it would be sent immediately. I have spoken to Steve at the company repeatedly and keep getting the run around as to why it has not been sent, today when I spoke to him he said he misquoted the price and needed more money. After speaking to him I checked their site and they had the item listed for what I had paid.

Joe
Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 15:14   #266
orbitaljump

Credit Card FTW.
Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 16:18   #267
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=258

We have created a woman Binocular Nut. I thought that was impossible. Many just go for the Swarovski and keep it 30 years. But I thought all this trading and Bino Bucks management was guy stuff.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 17:09   #268
mikfoz
It's not a competition. Watch the birdy!

Why are all the bargains in the US?

By the time we've had them delivered across the pond there's no point...
Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 17:46   #269
Kevin Purcell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfoz View Post
Why are all the bargains in the US?

By the time we've had them delivered across the pond there's no point...
Because the Brits don't post on this thread? As always its the people that post what they find that makes the thread.

And I have see some British bargains here. But not so many.
Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 19:21   #270
lulubelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=258

We have created a woman Binocular Nut. I thought that was impossible. Many just go for the Swarovski and keep it 30 years. But I thought all this trading and Bino Bucks management was guy stuff.
Thanks Tero, but I don't think I really qualify (I only have 3 pairs now!) for the "binoholics club", but I do have the collecting tendency!! I told Frank that I have "micro-bucks" and I was looking to get the best bang for them! I was looking to upgrade my 8x and was debating buying a scope vs. a 10x. I was trying to research which bin to buy and began reading this forum. I was amazed at the wealth of knowledge regarding bins and what brands were available. It is hard to decide which bin to get after reading the reviews of each new ED bin, the porros - I can see why you guys buy, sell and trade!! It is somewhat contagious!! I like the "bino-bucks" idea!!BTW, I would love to own a Swaro and appreciate the view thru good glass, but "micro-bucks" can't buy the alphas!!

Last edited by lulubelle : Thursday 22nd January 2009 at 19:25.
Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 19:33   #271
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

Ah the scope. You HAVE to have a scope. 50mm Nikon? 65mm Pentax? 80mm Vortex? There the fun begins.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 19:58   #272
lulubelle

I was actually considering a Vortex Skyline 80mm ED; there is a dealer here in Arlington who quoted me $385 new. However, the question is - do I want to lug a scope around or use someone else's on a field trip? I was hoping the 10x ED - probably ZEN - would do for the moments I generally need a bump in magnification. I have a friend who has offered me her Pentax scope and the Manfrotto-Bogan tripod & head for about $500. Can't remember what the scope specifics are now, but it seems a very reasonable price for all. I know this is off topic, sorry!!
Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 21:24   #273
Kevin Purcell

I reported on a SHOT show thread that Scott Berish of Liberty Optics LLC had mentioned a very low price for Hawke Frontier ED. I checked with him by email and he confirmed it.

Quote:
$350 for the 8x43 and $360 for the 10x43 would be our price.

Thanks,

Scott
-- Scott Berish
Liberty Optics LLC
An Official Vendor of Sniper's Paradise & Sniper's Hide.
"See Better, Shoot Better"
www.libertyoptics.com
406-890-2714 (W)
352-572-1469 (C)

Scott@LibertyOptics.com
He doesn't keep stock (AFAICT) but he's set up to order from Hawke. He also said if a group is willing to get together he can do 10 off orders and reduce the price. Not sure about return policies.

He mentioned Bosma on his blog so I'm seeing if he's thinking about stocking or ordering from Bosma. That could be fun.

Have at it. The Chinese ED market is hotting up!

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with any of the deals I post. Just helping binouholics get their fix at the lowest possible price.
Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 21:56   #274
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubelle View Post
I was actually considering a Vortex Skyline 80mm ED; there is a dealer here in Arlington who quoted me $385 new. However, the question is - do I want to lug a scope around or use someone else's on a field trip? I was hoping the 10x ED - probably ZEN - would do for the moments I generally need a bump in magnification. I have a friend who has offered me her Pentax scope and the Manfrotto-Bogan tripod & head for about $500. Can't remember what the scope specifics are now, but it seems a very reasonable price for all. I know this is off topic, sorry!!
lulubelle,
Checkout CameralandNY they still have Stokes Sandpiper 15-45x65 spoters for $199.95. Good enough scope to see if a scope is what you need and not too much to spend if it turns out you don't want a scope.

The 10x ZEN ED seems OK to me for close in birding, but I generally prefer 8x. Too many x's too close in might strain the brain, but if you do a bunch of waterfowl and distance, maybe the 10x is OK. How you balance both your budget and birding is your choice. Personally, I'd do the 8x.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have" Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd January 2009, 23:55   #275
lulubelle

Thanks Steve! They still have the Sandpiper for $199. I would have been leery of the scope considering the price, but from what I have read in many of the posts on the forum & now your suggestion, I will consider it. I actually do lots of waterfowl on lakes and the local sewage ponds. Not to mention shorebirds in August & Sept - there have been many occasions when I wish I had a pair of 10x's or a scope. Many times the ducks are close enough that I don't really need a scope, but could use something better than my Rangers. I like the Promaster 8x and think maybe the ZEN ED 10x would be a nice addition. Plus a scope.......! I think I may give the Leupold Cascades a shot as well, to have another choice. The reason I was questioning the possibility of using the 10x for passerines is because sometimes I would just love to get great detail, although 10x is not optimal for that type of birding. Could certainly use them when I go to Corpus Christi for Hawkewatch next year!!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: