Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Sunday 30th April 2017, 15:26   #3076
ceasar

Almost all really good 10 x 32s are Alphas and are expensive.

Consider the Pentax AD 9x32 WP instead. You won't notice the difference in power but you will notice the larger exit pupil. It is a clone of the Sightron S2 8x32 Blue Sky binocular. It costs about $250.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collecti...2-wp-binocular

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 00:11   #3077
EnjoyTheView

I hadn't bought a new binocular for a couple years, and had to get something for a friend in another country. While doing that I saw the deal on the 10x32 for $170.... well they sold out... then they returned.... and I had to buy them. I really should not of, but hopefully they are nice and I will find someone to gift them to. For that price as long as they are operating correctly they seem like a worthwhile optic.
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 10:43   #3078
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Almost all really good 10 x 32s are Alphas and are expensive.

Consider the Pentax AD 9x32 WP instead. You won't notice the difference in power but you will notice the larger exit pupil. It is a clone of the Sightron S2 8x32 Blue Sky binocular. It costs about $250.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collecti...2-wp-binocular
Hi Ceasar:

Considering their pedigrees, are you sure you haven't reversed who is a clone of whom?

Bill
Old Wednesday 3rd May 2017, 01:46   #3079
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Hi Ceasar:

Considering their pedigrees, are you sure you haven't reversed who is a clone of whom?

Bill

Hmm?

I never thought of that.

I knew about that 9x32 Pentax binocular before Ricoh bought them out and I'm pretty sure I knew about it before I heard of Sightron which I probably never would have if Frank hadn't given his legendary review of the 8x32.

I've been kind of intrigued by 9x binoculars ever since many years ago, I had a chance to use a Swift 9x36 IF reverse porro at Hawk Mountain. Here is a brief comment I made about it.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...56&postcount=5

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 3rd May 2017 at 01:49.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd May 2017, 03:36   #3080
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Hmm?

I never thought of that.

I knew about that 9x32 Pentax binocular before Ricoh bought them out and I'm pretty sure I knew about it before I heard of Sightron which I probably never would have if Frank hadn't given his legendary review of the 8x32.

I've been kind of intrigued by 9x binoculars ever since many years ago, I had a chance to use a Swift 9x36 IF reverse porro at Hawk Mountain. Here is a brief comment I made about it.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...56&postcount=5

Bob
Bob:

The history of Pentax goes back to 1919 in Japan with Asashi, and many
names that are common to the optics industry.

Sightron, is a more recent company, just a labeler, seller.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 3rd May 2017, 06:43   #3081
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Bob:
Sightron, is a more recent company, just a labeler, seller.

Jerry
My understanding is that Sightron USA is a Kenko wholly owned company that is the USA outlet for a line of Kenko products. Kenko is a global manufacturer of optical products, among other things. Sightron is a brand name for Kenko, not a labeler with products contracted from unrelated manufacturers.

The following chart from the Kenko web site shows the relationship.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sightron Kenko.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	625271
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th May 2017, 21:40   #3082
coopershawk

2012-2015 Trinovid 8x42 (i.e., pre HD) at Cabelas for $900. Seems like one of the last places to have them

http://www.cabelas.com/product/barga...rs/1361252.uts

Last edited by coopershawk : Thursday 4th May 2017 at 21:42. Reason: 8x42 version
Old Friday 5th May 2017, 17:27   #3083
gunut
Registered Offender

10x42 Terra now on closeout at Midway......$243.67 TYD......
Old Friday 5th May 2017, 22:56   #3084
Rathaus

I just posted this on the Zeiss thread relating to low light bins.

There are some new 7x50 fmtsx on eBay for around the $500-550 mark. From a purely optical perspective, It has to be the most remarkable value of all time.

Scores of folks on here read the allbino ratings and scoring systems like gospel...I'm not one of them, but if you are - make note that allbinos rates the Fujinon fmt-sx 7x50 higher than every single Zeiss binocular of any specification they've ever tested, barring one. Think about that for a second. From a $500 bin.
Old Saturday 6th May 2017, 01:15   #3085
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathaus View Post

There are some new 7x50 fmtsx on eBay for around the $500-550 mark. From a purely optical perspective, It has to be the most remarkable value of all time.

Scores of folks on here read the allbino ratings and scoring systems like gospel...I'm not one of them, but if you are - make note that allbinos rates the Fujinon fmt-sx 7x50 higher than every single Zeiss binocular of any specification they've ever tested, barring one. Think about that for a second. From a $500 bin.
A heavy 7x50 binocular no matter the quality, is a specialized model
and mostly adapted for marine use or astronomy.

For birding, not so much.

Jerry
Old Saturday 6th May 2017, 07:09   #3086
Rathaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
A heavy 7x50 binocular no matter the quality, is a specialized model
and mostly adapted for marine use or astronomy.

For birding, not so much.

Jerry
Thankfully, I completely missed the rule book which tells me what binocular configuration I need to follow for birding.

The Fujinon is a milspec bin designed for use in marine, terrestrial, military, low light, high glare and astronomy applications. Similarly, It can be a fantastic birding binocular.
Those with very small hands and delicate arms will understandably find this bin too challenging. Similarly, I'd warrant that those who don't possess the finger strength to turn a Habicht focuser will be unlikely to find happiness with the Fujinon. The IF is like driving a manual car...some people never learned so find it daunting and very difficult. Otherwise this bin is a cinch

Last edited by Rathaus : Saturday 6th May 2017 at 07:27.
Old Saturday 6th May 2017, 16:08   #3087
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespiderweb View Post
Mr Star guy is having a sale (got an email, otherwise I wouldn't have known), and one great deal is on the Vixen Foresta 8x32 Porros. I have them, and they are really very good-sometimes the focus may be a little stiff (I can live with it), but the optics are top notch, especially for the money, at this price! $99 and only 2 available-free shipping over $100-don't know how you can bump it up to $100, but these are really nice Porros, if you like that view. I don't believe there is a better deal out there for Porros, but I haven't been active for a while-you might have other better ones, but I doubt it for the price.

http://www.mrstarguy.com/Vixen-Fores...ar-p/14501.htm
I just bought both(2). I did not even see this post til after my purchase. I went to Mrstarguy.com originally today to purchase a refractor telescope carry bag & to my surprise after I placed the refractor telescope bag in the check out cart I found out if I purchased both of the Vixen binoculars I would receive an additional $100. markdown off my total purchases. So basically I got one pair for free. The other pair maybe both will probably be put in the classified for sale here after I give them a review & make sure I see nothing wrong/defects with them.
Old Sunday 7th May 2017, 03:39   #3088
NDhunter

Quote:
Thankfully, I completely missed the rule book which tells me what binocular configuration I need to follow for birding.

The Fujinon is a milspec bin designed for use in marine, terrestrial, military, low light, high glare and astronomy applications. Similarly, It can be a fantastic birding binocular.
Those with very small hands and delicate arms will understandably find this bin too challenging. Similarly, I'd warrant that those who don't possess the finger strength to turn a Habicht focuser will be unlikely to find happiness with the Fujinon. The IF is like driving a manual car...some people never learned so find it daunting and very difficult. Otherwise this bin is a cinch
I hope you enjoy yours, but at 49 oz. that is way too heavy for a
handheld binocular, unless at the helm of a boat or ship.
This is not a typical birding binocular.

I do like big heavy binoculars, but at 15-16 X, tripod mounted for the
best view.

Jerry
Old Monday 8th May 2017, 18:48   #3089
wdc

Quote:

FYI, There are currently 2 of them listed for sale on Astromart. Used, but looking to be in good condition. Both are listed below $400.
Old Tuesday 9th May 2017, 13:58   #3090
BinoBoy

Nikon Monarch HG 8x42

Amazon has certified refurbished Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 for $780. These come with a full warranty as if new.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nikon-Monar...+hg+binoculars
Old Tuesday 9th May 2017, 20:31   #3091
wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinoBoy View Post
Amazon has certified refurbished Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 for $780. These come with a full warranty as if new.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nikon-Monar...+hg+binoculars
Thanks for the head's up! One pair is headed my way to compare with the Tract and Vanguard EDII. With one of them I'll hopefully see a Lazuli Bunting this weekend.

Bill
Old Wednesday 10th May 2017, 06:30   #3092
JMCal
Jesse

I'm a new member and just wanted to send a thank you to those who pointed out the Leupold Mojave BX3 sale going on at Cabelas. I got giftcards at a discount, and ended up with a pair of 8X32's for $175. Just compared them with some far more expensive glass, and was pleasantly surprised with their center sharpness (the focus smoothness wasn't anything to get excited about, but the view was really good). Great Buy for some backpacking binoculars!

Last edited by JMCal : Thursday 11th May 2017 at 00:30.
Old Wednesday 10th May 2017, 13:12   #3093
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCal View Post
I'm a new member and just wanted to send a thank you to those who pointed out the Leupold Mojave BX3 sale going on at Cabelas. I got giftcards at a discount, and ended up with a pair of 8X32's for $175. Just compared them with some far more expensive glass, and was pleasantly surprised with their center sharpness (build quality, and focuser weren't anything to get excited about, but the view was really good). Great Buy for some backpacking binoculars!
Second that! The Leupold Mojave 8x32 really is a bargain for the high build quality and good optics. I really enjoy mine also.
Old Wednesday 10th May 2017, 17:44   #3094
stephen b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCal View Post
I'm a new member and just wanted to send a thank you to those who pointed out the Leupold Mojave BX3 sale going on at Cabelas. I got giftcards at a discount, and ended up with a pair of 8X32's for $175. Just compared them with some far more expensive glass, and was pleasantly surprised with their center sharpness (build quality, and focuser weren't anything to get excited about, but the view was really good). Great Buy for some backpacking binoculars!
Glad you like them- enjoy! I have had my set for 3 years now and agree with everything you said. They - optically punch way above their weight class. I use mine when I do not want to carry the weight of my Swaro 8x42 SLC-HD's. And when I do ( carry the Mojave's), I do not feel like I am under gunned. The sharpness is really very,very good.
Old Wednesday 10th May 2017, 19:37   #3095
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen b View Post
Glad you like them- enjoy! I have had my set for 3 years now and agree with everything you said. They - optically punch way above their weight class. I use mine when I do not want to carry the weight of my Swaro 8x42 SLC-HD's. And when I do ( carry the Mojave's), I do not feel like I am under gunned. The sharpness is really very,very good.
I too have the BX-3 Mojave 8X32 and found they are a wonderful back-up pair to my EL 8X32 SV's! As Stephen and I have discussed before, these non-ED optics are really sharp, posses excellent color fidelity and have a superb wide FOV (IME-sweet spot out to about 85%)! Very good Kamakura glass...Especially for the recent sale prices.

Mine are currently at Leupold for a focuser "stickion" problem (was getting worse)...hopefully can be refurbished. If not, their new HD BX-4 8X32 replacement (w\ED glass) are to come out in June, may get that upgrade!?!

Ted
Old Thursday 11th May 2017, 00:34   #3096
JMCal
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen b View Post
I could not agree more. I did some testing (trying to read license plates 2-400 yards away) against some very good glass (Leica Trinovid 2012-2015, Tract Toric), and anything I could read with the more expensive binoculars, I could also read with the little Leupolds.

My dad tested them in glare, and found them far better than what he had been carrying, so I ordered him a set too!
Old Thursday 11th May 2017, 00:42   #3097
JMCal
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post

Mine are currently at Leupold for a focuser "stickion" problem (was getting worse)...hopefully can be refurbished. If not, their new HD BX-4 8X32 replacement (w\ED glass) are to come out in June, may get that upgrade!?!

Ted
This was the one downside I noticed (being spoiled by the silky smooth Tract Toric focus knob).

BTW - if anyone is interested, I found a few websites that sell Cabelas gift cards at a discount (I've had no problems with "gift card zen."). Now that I've caught the bug, this helps me justify my new purchases, haha
Old Monday 15th May 2017, 20:40   #3098
Schuey2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
It is a nice binocular and that price makes it that much better!

Zeiss makes a black cordura case specifically for the 42mm Terra. I am not sure how they handle the 32mm line. It would be worth it to give Zeiss USA a call to find out what is available.

Zeiss Customer Service 800-441-3005
I finally had a chance to give them a call.

They are sending me a Cordura case for free. They didn't even ask me to pay the shipping cost, even though I had my Visa ready to use.

Talk about some awesome customer service! Thanks, Zeiss USA!
Old Monday 15th May 2017, 22:52   #3099
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuey2002 View Post
I finally had a chance to give them a call.

They are sending me a Cordura case for free. They didn't even ask me to pay the shipping cost, even though I had my Visa ready to use.

Talk about some awesome customer service! Thanks, Zeiss USA!
Agreed Schuey! I called Midway on my new Terra 8x42 concerning their on-line sales ad that stated it included a "cordura bag" (it wasn't in the box). With a $25 credit, called Zeiss to purchase the 8X42 case of which they also sent to me free-of-charge...Great CS Zeiss USA, Thanks!

My net for the 8x42 ended up about $130...Not Bad for these very nice close-out gray bins!!

Thanks also to Bruce H for post #3060!!!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98 : Monday 15th May 2017 at 23:00.
Old Wednesday 17th May 2017, 18:54   #3100
BruceH

Schuey and Ted ... Good to hear Zeiss took care of things with the case. They are also real good about providing the alternative eye cups for the Conquest HD models and the SF.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: