Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Friday 3rd November 2017, 16:40   #3251
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
I never owned them at the same time...hard to say. My brother and I we birding...he forgot his binoculars...I always have an extra or two and he had a choice between an FL 8X32 and the Euro HD 8X32. After about two minutes we went birding he using the Euro HDs. He later bought them from me!
That is saying a lot. I may have to try the Euro HD 8x32's. I figured you were single. I have to buy my binoculars covertly. I try not to leave any paper or electronic trails that would arouse my wife's suspicion. I try to get the email shipping notices deleted before she sees them.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Friday 3rd November 2017 at 16:47.
Old Friday 3rd November 2017, 20:23   #3252
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
That is saying a lot. I may have to try the Euro HD 8x32's. I figured you were single. I have to buy my binoculars covertly. I try not to leave any paper or electronic trails that would arouse my wife's suspicion. I try to get the email shipping notices deleted before she sees them.
This model has small diameter eye cups. You had issues with the Nikon Monarch HG which has eye cups a couple of mm smaller than the Toric which you were used to. So, you may also have issues here. Good news is Cabela's is good about returns and you seem to have no problem in returning a binocular if it does not suit you. It is a very good binocular at a great price but it is not a good deal if it does not fit. Unfortuneately I found the eye cups to short (small) for me and had to pass. The Thorton store shows limited stock which usually means the display model. Give them a call if you want to give it a try. (303) 625-6100 Funny stuff about the wife, maybe you need to set up a second private e-mail account for your purchases!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd November 2017, 21:41   #3253
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
This model has small diameter eye cups. You had issues with the Nikon Monarch HG which has eye cups a couple of mm smaller than the Toric which you were used to. So, you may also have issues here. Good news is Cabela's is good about returns and you seem to have no problem in returning a binocular if it does not suit you. It is a very good binocular at a great price but it is not a good deal if it does not fit. Unfortuneately I found the eye cups to short (small) for me and had to pass. The Thorton store shows limited stock which usually means the display model. Give them a call if you want to give it a try. (303) 625-6100 Funny stuff about the wife, maybe you need to set up a second private e-mail account for your purchases!
I ordered a Euro HD 8x32 from Cabella's. If it doesn't work for me I will just return it. It is not so much the diameter of the eyecups but the eyecup length relative to the eye relief. I am going to be by the Cabela's in Thornton tomorrow so I will swing by there and try one out. I used my EII's this morning birding. They are a great binocular for the price.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Friday 3rd November 2017 at 21:44.
Old Friday 3rd November 2017, 22:32   #3254
wdc

Quote:

I find the critical reviews more important than the positive reviews. It is a red flag for me.

"January 10, 2016Extremely Disappointed
Byfgchiro68

".....The Euro HDs were horrible. To give you an idea of how poor the optics were...when you look through the Euro HDs inside the store it was like looking into a room with a 40 watt lightbulb on. When you look through the Swarovski El 10x42 binoculars it's like looking into a room with a 100 watt lightbulb on. The bottom line is the Cabelas Euro HD binoculars have very poor optical quality and I would not recommend them to anyone who is serious about hunting, birding or anything else you would use binoculars for. ..."
Dennis, The review you quote is so biased and exaggerated, that it is rather comical.

I can imagine someone on this forum doing the same comparison might write something like "...in a direct comparison in the store, I could see a difference in brightness between the two"

The reviewer is shocked to discover that a binocular costing over twice as much as the one he purchased on sale turns out to be a little brighter. The rest is just ranting and hyperbole.

Do you apply your own 'grain of salt' advice to comments of this caliber? Do you seriously consider reviews like that to be a credible red flag for how bad a product is?

Last edited by wdc : Friday 3rd November 2017 at 22:35.
Old Saturday 4th November 2017, 00:08   #3255
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
Dennis, The review you quote is so biased and exaggerated, that it is rather comical.

I can imagine someone on this forum doing the same comparison might write something like "...in a direct comparison in the store, I could see a difference in brightness between the two"

The reviewer is shocked to discover that a binocular costing over twice as much as the one he purchased on sale turns out to be a little brighter. The rest is just ranting and hyperbole.

Do you apply your own 'grain of salt' advice to comments of this caliber? Do you seriously consider reviews like that to be a credible red flag for how bad a product is?
That review was a little extreme but there are a few 3 star reviews that indicated there could be some QA problems with the Euro. Most of the reviews and opinions on the Euro are positive on Bird Forum especially the feeling that it compares with the Zeiss FL which is twice the price. I ordered one to try and if it doesn't work for me I will just return it. I will let you know how it compares to my Nikon 8x30 EII. It is definitely a bargain @$450.00 off.
Old Saturday 4th November 2017, 00:23   #3256
BruceH

Aculon 8X42 Additional Price Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/70...ck-refurbished
Nikon PROSTAFF 5 Binocular 8x 42mm Roof Prism Black Refurbished
Product #: 700218 Nikon #: 7570B

Clearance $73.53 & SHIPS FREE At least 10 available.[ OP has them new 160, demo 120 Then -11%]
Should you be a tad light on funds. You could do worse.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...ck-refurbished
Nikon ACULON Binocular Porro Prism Black Refurbished
Product #: 971833 Nikon #: 8246B 8x42/10X42 $41.56/$43.96
Buy 1 of each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer-blue View Post
Aculon lowered price even more to $31.45 and $33.26
Prostaff 5 to $55.64
Looks like I bought the Aculon 8X42 to soon at $31.45. Only the 8X42 remains and it is now at $22.47. The case and strap are probably worth more than that.

Nice find Nix!

(If you get the Viglink screen, click on the narrow blue box about half way down that says continue to Midway USA . Com.)

Quote:
I ordered a Euro HD 8x32 from Cabella's. If it doesn't work for me I will just return it. It is not so much the diameter of the eyecups but the eyecup length relative to the eye relief. I am going to be by the Cabela's in Thornton tomorrow so I will swing by there and try one out. I used my EII's this morning birding. They are a great binocular for the price.
Dennis ..... Think of an example where you have two identical binoculars with the same eye relief and the same length eye cups and thus the same net eye relief, but one has a smaller diameter eye cup. You will most likely be able to get the unit with the smaller eye cup closer to your eye. If the unit with the larger eye cup is just right, meaning full view and no black outs, the smaller unit will most likely result in blackouts since it is to close to the eye. The Euro would have been fine for me if it had a larger more normal diameter eye cup as it would of allowed perfect placement. However normal placement got the eyepiece to close so I would have had to either float it like you described in the Nikon HG thread or use the MOLCET technique of placing it higher up toward the eyebrow. The MOLCET technique works to a point but if there is to much of an adjustment, it then makes for awkward eye placement. I hope it works for you.

Old Saturday 4th November 2017, 00:52   #3257
denco@comcast.n

"Dennis ..... Think of an example where you have two identical binoculars with the same eye relief and the same length eye cups and thus the same net eye relief, but one has a smaller diameter eye cup. You will most likely be able to get the unit with the smaller eye cup closer to your eye. If the unit with the larger eye cup is just right, meaning full view and no black outs, the smaller unit will most likely result in blackouts since it is to close to the eye. The Euro would have been fine for me if it had a larger more normal diameter eye cup as it would of allowed perfect placement. However normal placement got the eyepiece to close so I would have had to either float it like you described in the Nikon HG thread or use the MOLCET technique of placing it higher up toward the eyebrow. The MOLCET technique works to a point but if there is to much of an adjustment, it then makes for awkward eye placement. I hope it works for you."

I understand. A binocular is a very personal thing and you never know if it will fit you until you try it. I don't like to use the MOLCET technique. I like to put the binoculars up to my eye sockets.
Old Saturday 4th November 2017, 01:42   #3258
summer-blue

Now the refurbished Nikon ACULON Compact Binocular 10x25 is $17.97 at Midwayusa. I just bought 10! Great gift to kids and their friends. These are under 10 oz.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...ck-refurbished
Old Saturday 4th November 2017, 02:30   #3259
chill6x6

Quote:
I hope you don't mind but I literally DID LOL when I read this! LMAO!

Quote:
GREAT! I hope you like them! At least you are giving them a try.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 4th November 2017, 18:27   #3260
BruceH

15% Off Leupold at Optics Planet

Optics Planet is running a 15% off Leupold products promotion ending Nov. 5th, 2017.

Use coupon code LEUP15 at checkout.

Old Saturday 4th November 2017, 21:01   #3261
gunut
Registered Offender

Quote:
Now the refurbished Nikon ACULON Compact Binocular 10x25 is $17.97 at Midwayusa. I just bought 10! Great gift to kids and their friends. These are under 10 oz.

well I didn't order 10...but did order 4 for the grandkids.....any cheaper and you could of handed them out on Halloween.....
Old Saturday 4th November 2017, 21:27   #3262
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I just got back from Cabela's and I tried the Euro HD 8x32. It is an impressive binocular. The quality is very much like a Swarovski meaning very high. The focus is smooth but tighter than a Nikon but it is fine. It is very compact in appearance but it is heavier than you think it would be when you pick it up but it only weighs 21 oz. The eyecups are Swarovski 8x32 SV like being very smooth and positive with 3 stops. The optics are excellent with surprisingly sharp edges but not SV sharp at the edge. The view is very Swarovski like with a very sharp on-axis view.The eye cups are comfortable but perhaps a little small. I am not sure until I receive mine and try it longer but they could cause the same problem as the MHG. Because the eye cups are small you tend to insert them further into your eye sockets than a normal size eye cup and that seems to cause a little problem with blackouts because it doesn't match the eye relief but they were better than the MHG's in this respect. They had a new Field Pro Swarovski SV 8x32 in the case which I tried and guess WHAT! Swarovski hasn't changed the focuser one BIT! It is still sticky and it turned easier in the clockwise direction. Same old Swarovski focuser. Very poor! The Field Pro package is very nice with the built in objective covers and integrated strap connections. I don't feel the Swarovski SV had appreciably better optics than the Euro. The SV did have totally sharp edges but then there is that zone in the FOV as you approach the edge that goes slightly out of focus called the Absam Ring so I don't know what is worse. I would almost rather have my out of focus zone at the edge as in the Euro. I felt the Euro was just as bright as the SV. The sales clerk was not aware of the sale on the Euro but said he would match the on-line price but I had already ordered the Euro. The FOV on both felt the same as the specifications are the same. My opinion is the Euro is fantastic bargain if it works for you and your eyes. Time will tell if it works for me.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Sunday 5th November 2017 at 03:17.
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 00:33   #3263
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Dennis,
Bummer the SV FP your tried had crummy focus. This is a bit surprising to hear.
The one I tried at the store had a very nice smooth focus.

I had the Euro HD 8x32 briefly but didn't keep it - ER was just a little short for me.
I wish it worked out since it's such a nice little bino. I loved the size and fit/feel and the view
was very nice I recall. I remember noticing a very slight cream or "yellowish" tint to the colors.
It's very subtle and I only noticed it when comparing to my UVid plus. It's super subtle and was never a concern when
Birding with it.

One thing probably not mention much is the very simple and nice diopter. I thought it was very easy to set and the least annoying of any I've ever tried (including UVid).

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Sunday 5th November 2017 at 00:38.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 00:49   #3264
jgraider

Winged eyecups that are actually made for Swaro SV's will slip right on the Cabelas Euro and solve ER/small eyepiece problems IME. I think Dennis actually nailed the small eyepiece problem, as they tend to stick further into your eye sockets than normal ones. I gave mine to my nephew, and this $399 deal is very tempting.
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 00:56   #3265
denco@comcast.n

The SV focuser felt just like most of the Swarovski's I have had so I don't think Swarovski changed anything on the new Field Pro focuser's even the unequal tension issue was still there. ER is really important it depends on you facial structure and the depth of your eye sockets if the binocular will work for you. I think the Euro's eye relief could be just a little long for me because with the smaller eye cups I really tend to insert them deeply into my eye sockets. I need to try it longer though. The Euro surprised me how SMALL it is. It must be one of the smallest 8x32's around. I will look for the yellowish tint when I get it although those things don't bother me a lot unless it is excessive. Different binoculars do have different tints. I noticed a very slight green tint on the Zeiss SF, whereas, Swarovski's are pretty neutral and Nikon's almost always have a reddish or warm tint. The diopter is nice. At first I thought you had to pull it out like a Swarovski but you simply turn it and it is located on the end of the focus knob where you will never accidentally move it. I usually don't need any correction because both of my eyes are pretty much the same at 20/20.
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 00:57   #3266
Nixterdemus

Just for shites n grins I thought I'd throw this 8X32 into the fray for those that may come up a mite short of four bills.

LEU 8X32MM BX3 MOJAVE BLK

Price: $267.61-Free shipping, no tax
In Stock. Ships in 1 Business Day (M-F).
Manufacturer: Leupold
Manufacturer Part Number: 117985
UPC: 30317002862
Condition: Factory Sealed - New

http://www.opticsagent.com/LEU-8X32M...gaAuH3EALw_wcB

Nevah looked through either, so I cannot comment if the roughly third/$132.39 diff is a value in anything other than price.

ETA: The 117985 is discontinued.

https://www.leupold.com/binoculars/bx-3-mojave-8x32mm

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom

Last edited by Nixterdemus : Sunday 5th November 2017 at 12:02.
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 02:41   #3267
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Winged eyecups that are actually made for Swaro SV's will slip right on the Cabelas Euro and solve ER/small eyepiece problems IME. I think Dennis actually nailed the small eyepiece problem, as they tend to stick further into your eye sockets than normal ones. I gave mine to my nephew, and this $399 deal is very tempting.
I have tried the winged eyecups in the past for the eye relief problem and although they do also help with light coming in through the side of your eye cup and they would help with the small eye cups on the Euro I could never get used to them rubbing the side of my head and the additional fogging they can sometimes cause. Then you have the issue of having to replace the stock rain guard with the winged eye cup Swarovski rainguard so it fits the winged eye cups. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Sunday 5th November 2017 at 16:26.
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 05:40   #3268
fazalmajid

B&H has the 8x32 Terra ED (gray rubber) for $200, one day only:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp
Old Monday 6th November 2017, 05:46   #3269
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

B&H has the Bushnell M series 10x42 for $229 ..... I note they list the 8x as discontinued. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...idge_roof.html

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 6th November 2017, 16:05   #3270
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post
Just for shites n grins I thought I'd throw this 8X32 into the fray for those that may come up a mite short of four bills.

LEU 8X32MM BX3 MOJAVE BLK

Price: $267.61-Free shipping, no tax
In Stock. Ships in 1 Business Day (M-F).
Manufacturer: Leupold
Manufacturer Part Number: 117985
UPC: 30317002862
Condition: Factory Sealed - New

http://www.opticsagent.com/LEU-8X32M...gaAuH3EALw_wcB

Nevah looked through either, so I cannot comment if the roughly third/$132.39 diff is a value in anything other than price.

ETA: The 117985 is discontinued.

https://www.leupold.com/binoculars/bx-3-mojave-8x32mm
I have the 10x32 version of these, and they are very good. Good enough to make me pause before I decide whether to grab them or my Sightron 8x32's when I head out the door, and that's saying something considering how much I like my Sightron BSII's
Old Monday 6th November 2017, 20:39   #3271
mooreorless

Quote:

This one is sold out! I don't see any more refurbished binocular on the site.
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 02:08   #3272
gcole

[quote=gcole;3638759]
Quote:

I will give my opinion of the Cabelas Euro Instinct HD 8x32 sometime late PM tomorrow, that's when they are going to be delivered. If my eyes see things now in a negative way when I take another look thru the Meopta 8x32 I will send them on to another owner.
The Cabelas Euro Instinct 8x32 HD arrived 2 days later than expected but the binocular did not disappoint. The view I experienced a few years back when I looked at the Meopta B1 version seemed even more improved this time around ... especially since back then the view was from the cost of a $895 binocular. This time around the view was especially sweeter when it only cost me $399.95 plus shipping. It also seemed the rubber amour was tighter/of better quality but this is just from going from memory. I also liked the fact that they did not have those funny, what appeared to be pimples on the front of the rubber amour. For those of you who might be interested, the white tag with the bar code/ID number on the one end of the nicely done retail box did indeed say Meopta 8x32 B1. with the binocular themselves being badged Cabelas Euro HD..
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 23:23   #3273
denco@comcast.n

[quote=gcole;3640344]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post

The Cabelas Euro Instinct 8x32 HD arrived 2 days later than expected but the binocular did not disappoint. The view I experienced a few years back when I looked at the Meopta B1 version seemed even more improved this time around ... especially since back then the view was from the cost of a $895 binocular. This time around the view was especially sweeter when it only cost me $399.95 plus shipping. It also seemed the rubber amour was tighter/of better quality but this is just from going from memory. I also liked the fact that they did not have those funny, what appeared to be pimples on the front of the rubber amour. For those of you who might be interested, the white tag with the bar code/ID number on the one end of the nicely done retail box did indeed say Meopta 8x32 B1. with the binocular themselves being badged Cabelas Euro HD..
Are you using the Euro without glasses and how are the blackouts?
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 02:06   #3274
gcole

[quote=denco@comcast.n;3640692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Are you using the Euro without glasses and how are the blackouts?
In testing them today with glasses and without, I experienced no blackouts. Conditions here in upstate NY outside were cloudy/on the dark side all day. The only other binocular I have on hand to be the closest in power/objective lens size, were my 7x36 Opticron BGA Classic. I could not compare the two for CA due to the lack of bright sun light but when I compared the two from about 25 feet & out to around 200 feet I found the Cabelas Euro Instinct HD 8x32 slightly more crisp(clearer) and sharper than my Opticron BGA Classic 7x36. Size wise when eyeing the Cabelas binoculars next to the Opticron's with both of their rubber eyecup protectors on, they seem pretty much the same size. Weight wise they also seem about the same, but without a small postal scale I could not really say which is heavier. The Cabelas Instinct Euro HD 8x32 are really a nice binocular.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 03:09   #3275
denco@comcast.n

Thanks. I am worried I am going to get blackouts with them. I get them tomorrow. That is impressive that you thought the Euro's were clearer and sharper than your Opticron's. I was impressed with them in Cabela's.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Wednesday 8th November 2017 at 03:15.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: