Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 00:21   #201
DHB

BTW- That is my only concern. 4-6 years down the road if Promaster drops this bino and yours goes south. What can they do?????

Dave
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 00:39   #202
OwenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitaljump View Post
Ha! Ha!

I agree with Owen, they do look wider than that specs suggest. And I love the ergos too.
I just took them back out, along with a Pentax 8x32 with a 393ft. FOV. The Pentax FOV is very noticeably wider, but the AFOV isn't. The Bushnell also looks like it has more magnification, which is interesting because those particular 8x32 DCF SPs seem to have more magnification than any other 8x I've compared them to.
I think these are more like 9x than 8. Maybe you could do a similar comparison and see if you think the same....or that I'm crazy.
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 01:39   #203
orbitaljump

The Pentax have much wider afov and fov. I got them out and checked.

The Bushnell however dont feel cramped.
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 02:21   #204
orbitaljump

Lots of eye relief on these 8x42 Bush Legend Roofs. Blackouts without the eyecups extended....but with them fully extended or one notch back in, they work good. Wearing sunglasses wouldnt be a problem for these, it seems.
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 03:51   #205
BinoBoy

Got my Legends!

Complete shock. I see some of you are getting yours as well. I got the apology email too. Checked Discovercard online and only see a charge for some Celestron 15x70 that I ordered at the same time. With the $25 off coupon they were only $60. They didn't come with the Legends. Tracking shows them coming tomorrow. I take back all the nasty thoughts about Sports Authority! Looks like they decided to honor the price.

I wonder if Bushnell will let me have two jackets?

This is the best present I'll be getting this Christmas!
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 13:35   #206
OwenM

Quote:
The Pentax have much wider afov and fov. I got them out and checked.

The Bushnell however dont feel cramped.
The difference in AFOV is much more obvious now that I've had a chance to use them in daylight. For some reason it didn't seem as significant last night. Magnification on my pair still seems high for 8x, though.
I'm sure this will have a long run as my "best bargain", either way
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 14:46   #207
henry link

An easy and objective way to compare the apparent fields of two binoculars is simply to place one in front of one eye and the other in front of the other eye. Bring the two fields close together and compare the size of the field circles.

True magnification can be measured very accurately using a method described by Kimmo Absetz several years ago. The basic idea is to first measure the field width of one instrument (small scope or binocular) by viewing a distant ruler, then line up the binocular to be tested in front and view the ruler through both instruments in series and measure again. I think there are some old threads on the subject.

Last edited by henry link : Tuesday 23rd December 2008 at 14:56.
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 21:17   #208
ScoutMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinoBoy View Post
Complete shock. I see some of you are getting yours as well. I got the apology email too. Checked Discovercard online and only see a charge for some Celestron 15x70 that I ordered at the same time. With the $25 off coupon they were only $60. They didn't come with the Legends. Tracking shows them coming tomorrow. I take back all the nasty thoughts about Sports Authority! Looks like they decided to honor the price.

Got mine today (12/23/08. Couldn't check my credit card. Tech problems.

OH Happy Day!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy NEW Year to Everyone.

Scoutman
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 22:52   #209
Matt_RTH

Thanks for sharing the Legend deal. I did get mine, despite the cancellation email. Hope to put through paces this weekend but I will use my 8x32SE for the upcoming CBC. Initially I noticed a bit of CA and just about the same sharpness as my Pentax 8x32 SP. The Nikon of course blows both of them away in that department but the roofs have other desirable traits so it's a bit of give and take.
Old Wednesday 24th December 2008, 13:08   #210
FrankD

It seems I missed another excellent binocular bargain. :(

To remedy that, I have a deal for anyone...if another one of these sub $100 deals pops up for a really nice bino (as in the case of the Pentax WP and Bushnell Legend) then I will buy someone else that binocular if they let me in on it before the place stops taking orders.

Old Wednesday 24th December 2008, 16:39   #211
ScoutMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinoBoy View Post

BB.

My packing slip shows that my Legends were shipped from Kansas on 12/18.

Got them yesterday 12/23.

Checked my Visa online this AM (12/24). Still have not "hit my a/c"

SM
Old Wednesday 24th December 2008, 19:31   #212
Kevin Purcell

With standard UPS ground (and no bad weather) from Kansas on 12/18 they should have got to WA state (DHB and myself on different sides of the state) ... yesterday.

We do have UPS trucks running well in the snow but some of the main ground routes across the country (e.g. I-84 into Portland, OR) might be a bit of a challenge right now.

But I've not given up hope yet. Hey, it's like waiting for Santa

Last edited by Kevin Purcell : Wednesday 24th December 2008 at 19:33.
Old Wednesday 24th December 2008, 23:29   #213
orbitaljump

Here is hoping Santa in Brown makes it out to the snow ridden NorthWest eventually, Kevin!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old Wednesday 24th December 2008, 23:49   #214
BinoBoy

Legend rebate

I sent in my rebates today. I called Bushnell and they said that if you bought two bins on one receipt, use one rebate form and enclose one check for $20. I sent a copy of the packing slip and the confirmation email from Sports Authority.

They still haven't charged my credit card for the Legends! Just for the Celestrons I ordered at the same time.
Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 00:10   #215
Kevin Purcell

Quote:
Here is hoping Santa in Brown makes it out to the snow ridden NorthWest eventually, Kevin!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Merry Christmas to all. Especially those who took time to post a bargain
Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 01:05   #216
orbitaljump

That jacket looks to be decent. Tricot is a nice lightweight waterproof breathable fabric that is used in pricier waders and rain gear. Taped seam seems to indicate attention to detail also. Plus the brand name RealTree camo pattern.
Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 01:06   #217
orbitaljump

Yeah, thanks again BinoBoy. My sister and brother in law will love these.
Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 02:36   #218
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

Quote:
...rebate form and enclose one check for $20. I sent a copy of the packing slip and the confirmation email from Sports Authority.
OOps I did not read that part. I have no idea if I sent a check. I was supposed to get the back pack.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 02:37   #219
FrankD

Thanks for the suggestion Kevin. I will follow up on it.

Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 04:37   #220
BinoBoy

Merry Christmas

I'm glad some of you got in on the deal! I wish it had lasted longer so everyone could have taken advantage of the opportunity. It was so brief, you just about had to be online when it happened. I really lucked out on this one. I saw their ad in the paper and noticed that they had all Bushnell binoculars for 40% off plus the coupon. The usually only have cheap stuff in the stores, so I checked the website and found the deal or error, whatever it was.

As far as the money goes, I don't really care if they bill me for the Legends. The deal was so good, I'd be glad to pay it. Still, it'd be nice to get them free just for the bragging rights. Then when someone says "One time I got some such and such bins for half price" I can say "Oh, yeah? I got some Bushnell Legends for A HUNDRED PERCENT OFF!" "Yeah, right." "No seriously, A HUNDRED PERCENT OFF!" Can't top that. Unless they were Alpha bins, of course.

Speaking of Alpha bins, I just found a deal on Leica Trinivid BA 12x50's for $935 (brand new, I think).

http://www.cambridgeworld.com/detail.php?item_id=2395

Seems like a good price, but I can't afford them right now. Oh, well. Maybe they'll still be there when I get my tax refund. Anybody know how they compare to the Ultravid HD? I looked through a pair at Bass Pro Shops the other day and was very impressed.

Last edited by BinoBoy : Thursday 25th December 2008 at 04:38. Reason: Typo
Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 04:51   #221
orbitaljump

Stay away from cambridgeworld....

and

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 05:02   #222
Matt_RTH

I will make sure they bill me as I trust everyone else will. That still seems to be a glitch for me too.
Old Saturday 27th December 2008, 00:33   #223
Kevin Purcell

Bushnell Legend 8x42 Porro Prism Binocular with Free GPS and Mail in $10 for camo breathable jacket (mentioned above) at Eagle Optics.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3438

$110 for Bushnell Legend 8x42 Porro with Rainguard

Quote:
Purchase a Bushnell product with RainGuard® coating by December 31, 2008, and take advantage of Bushnell's offer of a FREE waterproof jacket ($129.99 retail value).
Purchase this binocular by January 4, 2009, and Eagle Optics will send you a free Bushnell BackTrack GPS navigation system. Offer good on in-stock products shipped by January 5, 2009
Bushnell BackTrack GPS (a sort of minimalist 3 way-point GPS and digital compass).

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5472

I don't think they had the GPS on this deal before Christmas (but they did run out of stock on the bins).
Old Monday 29th December 2008, 01:38   #224
OwenM

Not a binocular, but there's no spotting scope bargains thread...
Pentax PF-65ED II(straight) $384.12 5 left in stock:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
Pentax XW14 eyepiece $312.42:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
XW7 and 10 appear to be available at discount prices, as well, but I didn't put them in my cart to see. The XW20 is the standard $359.

Can't afford the XW14 right now, but was planning on the straight PF-65ED II already, so make that 4 more available instead of 5

edit: btw, I gave my cousin and her husband a pair of those Bushnell Legend 8x42s for their weekend place where we celebrated Christmas this year(N. AL, views for miles into the Appalachian foothills, GA, and maybe even TN), and they went over really well. They have a telescope, but the binos will be handy, and hopefully they'll get good use from them.

Last edited by OwenM : Monday 29th December 2008 at 01:53.
Old Monday 29th December 2008, 21:10   #225
DHB

There is a LNIB Pentax SP 8x32 for $295 on Ebay. NOT MINE.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: