Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 3rd December 2008, 22:10   #101
Sollas

Hello Huang Lingyun,

Sounds like you work in the development department. Maybe you could let us know what market these bins were originally aimed at. I take it the OEM agreement with Hawke must have been designed to punch a hole in some of the bigger players markets.

Last but not least I wonder where one could view them in Scotland, any ideas?

Last edited by Sollas : Wednesday 3rd December 2008 at 22:14.
Old Thursday 4th December 2008, 01:40   #102
orbitaljump

I guess you have to buy to try these.

Last edited by orbitaljump : Thursday 4th December 2008 at 01:51.
Old Friday 5th December 2008, 17:14   #103
MacGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollas View Post
...I wonder where one could view them in Scotland, any ideas?
Black & Lizars in Shandwick Place in Edinburgh has them in stock.

Michael
Old Friday 5th December 2008, 18:00   #104
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Purcell View Post
Odd. With my corrected vision (glasses on) my Hawke will close focus down to 5ft from objective to target. Way closer than I really need.
Same here with my Hawkes. Stand on tiptoe and I can focus on my toes, making it around 5' 8". Have to breathe in to see my toes, mind!

Graham

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 6th December 2008, 00:34   #105
mooreorless

"Have to breathe in to see my toes, mind!"

Graham,Thanks for the laugh.

No making fun or trying to be mean intended.

Regards,Steve
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 17:47   #106
keithdrengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticl2184 View Post
.. how the hell can Hawke produce a binocular to challenge the Zeiss FL at such a low price ?

Tim
Lousy payment for the workers on the factory(maybe).
Less quality control.

Anyways, should I go for the Nikon E2 or the Hawke? Maybe I get more depth of field with the Nikon?

Last edited by keithdrengen : Tuesday 23rd December 2008 at 17:59.
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 18:56   #107
Kevin Purcell

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdrengen View Post
Lousy payment for the workers on the factory(maybe).
Less quality control.

Anyways, should I go for the Nikon E2 or the Hawke? Maybe I get more depth of field with the Nikon?
Do you have any evidence for those statments? Didn't think so.

OK, back to your question.

A few things to consider:

0. Eye relief. The E2 is pretty short. I think this is a killer for eyeglass wearers without a trial. Judging by the numbers for my eyeglasses it would be marginal. The Hawke ER is plenty for eyeglasses (though not quite enough for the whole field for me and my glasses but very close).

1. The porro view. I've been looking through my porros again. Especially with good to excellent porros there is a transpancy that I still don't see with roofs. I have ABed the Hawke and the Nikon SE and the SE wins by all opticl measures (sharpness; contrast; stray light). I suspect the E2 might be the same (though I've not tried it). Plus there is the "3D effect" which some people find very helpful -- I rather like it.

2. Waterproofing and fogproofing. You can dunk the Hawke. You can't dunk the E2. In Danish weather I would think you have to be a little protective of the E2 (not like the devil may care attitude with a waterproof bin). That said I think I over-baby my porros.

3. How important is resale value to you? I suspect the E2 will be sort after for a while. The Hawke not so much.

The DOF argument swings back and forth around here. Some say it's only magnification. I still don't buy that argument (for real bins). I suspect the E2 might have it here but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Kevin Purcell : Tuesday 23rd December 2008 at 19:01.
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 19:43   #108
keithdrengen

No evidence.. its China..
anyways, someone earlier in this thread I believe talked about varying shortfocus. Long term endurance no one can know about yet.
Thanks for comparing it with the Nikon SE ( though I know its maybe not fair, but informative!).
Old Tuesday 23rd December 2008, 19:57   #109
Kevin Purcell

There is a thread of mine comparing (in a bit more detail but not much!) Promaster, Hawke and SE. Take a look!
Old Wednesday 24th December 2008, 13:02   #110
FrankD

Kevin hit on some excellent points. In my opinion the E2 should have better depth of field. I have found many of the porro prism bins I have owned exhibit better depth of field (probably because of the objective spacing) than their roof prism counterparts.
Old Wednesday 24th December 2008, 15:09   #111
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

Quote:
...E2 should have better depth of field.
Frank, we can't use that term anymore, because of the theorists. We have to say perceived, or apparent, so perceived depth of field.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 02:42   #112
FrankD

Ahh, I slipped up Tero. That is my fault for not reading any of the theoretical threads.

:-p
Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 05:36   #113
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Frank, we can't use that term anymore, because of the theorists. We have to say perceived, or apparent, so perceived depth of field.
Tero, I know you're trying to be funny, but for the record I'd like to point out that the claim that magnification is the only significant determinant of DOF in binoculars (and conversely, that all binos of the same mag have the same DOF for all practical purposes) comes not only from the "theorists" but also from those empiricists/experimentalists who have done careful observations/tests.

--AP
Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 11:33   #114
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

Keith,

I do a whole lot more re-focusing with my Hawkes than with my EIIs. That's a combination of two things - the percived depth of field and the focus-wheel gearing. I can live happily with either - the Nikons are definitely better at getting very quickly focussed on a bird - the shorter perceived DoF and the slower focussing of the Hawkes can help 'pull' a bird out from it's surroundings and creates a more intense image.

I don't understand the physics of DoF - but the impression feels very real - the Hawkes definitely seem to blur objects at other distances much more than the Nikons.

Graham

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 28th December 2008, 21:01   #115
keithdrengen

Arent there an extra lense or two added inside a roof prism binocular, moveable, to adjust focus. Maybe that system makes a difference in terms of DOF, compared to Porro prism binoculars.
Old Sunday 28th December 2008, 23:15   #116
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

We are just talking perceived dof here, not real. We add poor optical qualities easily to the feeling of poor dof. Porros and roofs work the same way, I was able to convince myself, with dof. Power is the main criterion, and the only one to our theorists.

The porros focus with the eye piece part moving and the roofs have a lens inside that moves. In 8x20 pocket binoculars from Wal Mart, it was actually the objeective lense that moved.

Old Friday 2nd January 2009, 18:57   #117
keithdrengen

How is DOF on The hawke ED compared to others, like Nikon Monarch.
Has there been any issues with "bad" units in general?
CJ
Old Saturday 3rd January 2009, 01:35   #118
FrankD

Good question on the DOF. I don't have mine on hand anymore. Maybe Kevin can comment. I seem to remember the depth of field being comparable to something like the Monarch and a bit better than the Promaster in this regard.

My unit did not have any quality control issues that I was aware of.
Old Saturday 3rd January 2009, 08:33   #119
keithdrengen

Thanks for the answer FrankD.

Once I read that Nikon E2 is nearly on par with Zeiss FL and others.
Another place I read that The Hawke Frontier ED is nearly on par with Zeiss FL and others.
Then I read that the Nikon E2 is better in almost every optical aspect than the Hawke frontier ED..

Taste and preferences I guess
Old Sunday 4th January 2009, 00:31   #120
FrankD

Keith,

I think your last statement speaks volumnes. It really does tend to depend on what you prefer for optical characteristics. In my opinion the Promaster and Hawke were closer to the high end Alphas optically than any of the mid-priced roofs so far. The E2 is an animal in a different category entirely. It is probably my favorite bin optically. My only gripe was the short eye relief coupled with the wide eyecups made it nearly impossible for me to get a single field of view. I had to remove them on my unit. After that I don't think there was a bin that touches them optically. Beautiful bins.
Old Monday 19th January 2009, 20:19   #121
keithdrengen

Is the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 better than Bushnell Legend 8x42 porro?
CJ
Old Monday 19th January 2009, 22:06   #122
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

Comparing similar ED bins and Legend.

Err...tough. Maybe. I sort of enjoy the look and the feel in use of roofs over porros. So if they were actually equivalent, it might be hard to be objective here.

Old Monday 19th January 2009, 22:09   #123
Kevin Purcell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Good question on the DOF. I don't have mine on hand anymore. Maybe Kevin can comment. I seem to remember the depth of field being comparable to something like the Monarch and a bit better than the Promaster in this regard.

My unit did not have any quality control issues that I was aware of.
I don't have a Monarch to compare it with. I think the DOF is OK. Not astounding but perhaps (if DOF depends only on magnification and they keep the aberrations down) about what you'd expect from a 8x. I suspect it's the sam or better than the Monarch though it might feel different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdrengen View Post
Is the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 better than Bushnell Legend 8x42 porro?
I haven't actually ABed these two but my first guess is the Chinese ED would have it. It is sharper (IIRC ... which may be a bad idea). I suspect the Legends are good but not that good.

I'll see if I can try it but I have a whole stack of ABs to do but I'm focused on the Zen-rays right now.

Last edited by Kevin Purcell : Monday 19th January 2009 at 22:14.
Old Tuesday 20th January 2009, 00:43   #124
FrankD

I cannot do the comparison anymore so I will defer to Kevin on that one.

Comparing the Legend porros to the Zen Ray really isn't a fair comparison though I guess you could make the case that they both have some similar specs (eye relief...field of view, etc...). The Zen Ray's image is marginally brighter and a tad sharper with less field curvature. The Legend porro has slightly more field curvature and though sharp isn't as sharp as the Zen Ray. As the Zen Ray and the Hawke are similar in many aspects I think you could make a bit of a case that my comments might apply to them as well.
Old Tuesday 20th January 2009, 02:18   #125
Kevin Purcell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
I cannot do the comparison anymore so I will defer to Kevin on that one.

Comparing the Legend porros to the Zen Ray really isn't a fair comparison though I guess you could make the case that they both have some similar specs (eye relief...field of view, etc...). The Zen Ray's image is marginally brighter and a tad sharper with less field curvature. The Legend porro has slightly more field curvature and though sharp isn't as sharp as the Zen Ray. As the Zen Ray and the Hawke are similar in many aspects I think you could make a bit of a case that my comments might apply to them as well.
I'll probably comment on the Zen Ray evaluation thread too but after posting the comment above I went out with the Zen-ray 10x43 and the Eagle Optics Raptor 10x42 porro. Not the same as you ask but in the same ball park.

And the results are similar to FrankD's (except I didn't look at the field edges).

The Chinese ED (I generalize but the Hawke and ZR ED are very similar at 8x) is perhaps slightly sharper and is better with color saturation and presentation. I was watching Ring-necked Ducks and Mallards in the sun when doing this: great targets for color at ranges from 10m to 100m. There were times when the color could be seen in the ED bin clearly but not being nearly so apparent in the non-ED (a porro).

I still think the porro might have had the "clarity" thing I keep going on about but I think the Chinese ED may have been sharper.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: