Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 1st November 2008, 18:49   #1
Sancho
Adrift

8x Image Stabilised Bins

Does anyone know if any company manufactures 8x IS bins with good optics, reasonable eye-relief (>13.5mm), and FOV over 7 degrees? With all the talk on other threads of new HD bins in 8x by Swaro, Nikon, Hawke etc., I began to test my own bins to find out what features are crucial to me. I realised (via some amateurish tests involving a music-stand, a tripod and some kids' books) that tiny incremental improvements in optics won't make much difference to me. My EL 8x32's have as much FOV and er as I need, but again and again my Canon IS 12x36 provided a more-detailed view at greater distances, and even better when I wore my glasses (hence the adequate er requirement). For closer birding, 8x would be ideal, but I was recently given a pair of Canon IS 8x25 and they are quite a different beast to the 12x36....I may have gotten a duff unit anyway (they often go out of focus when IS is pressed, or when "panning"), but in any case the er is minimal and the FOV only 6.5 degrees or thereabouts. So....wishful thinking, but is there such a thing as an 8x IS bin with good er and FOV (because I think that this, more than HD or whatever, will improve my own bino-viewing experience)?
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: