• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Protest against raptor killing in Austria (1 Viewer)

Thanks Markus - anyone able to translate?

This January hunters are allowed shoot 200 Common Buzzards and 50 Goshawks under the pretext of protecting Tawny Pipits, European Green Lizards and Agile Frogs (and more during the following years). This will of course also lead to the deaths of other protected raptors, as the hunters aren't too good at identifying them. The true reasons for the decline of the pipits, lizards and frogs are of course related to human activities, and I believe that especially Goshawks very rarely eat any of the named species.

I'm really shocked to find that the hunters can this easily find legal excuses to persecute raptors in "civilized" Europe.

Last edited:
This January hunters are allowed shoot 200 Common Buzzards and 50 Goshawks under the pretext of protecting Tawny Pipits, European Green Lizards and Agile Frogs (and more during the following years). This will of course also lead to the deaths of other protected raptors, as the hunters aren't too good at identifying them. The true reasons for the decline of the pipits, lizards and frogs are of course related to human activities, and I believe that especially Goshawks very rarely eat any of the named species.

I'm really shocked to find that the hunters can this easily find legal excuses to persecute raptors in "civilized" Europe.

Thanks CAU for the help....I just cant see Gos taking any of those...Buzzard maybe.....can nothing be done to stop the mis informed slaughter?

Thanks CAU for the help....I just cant see Gos taking any of those...Buzzard maybe.....can nothing be done to stop the mis informed slaughter?

There are currently protests from Birdlife Austria and WWF Austria. And the issue is coming up in the media. Let's hope that stupid nonsense can be stopped.

It's really just an excuse to shoot raptors. There is absolutely not ecological reason that justifies this. Politicians just did what the hunter lobby wants.

Who will count the numbers? If a hunter kills 5 buzzards and he says that he has killed only 1, who will check this? It can't be done.

In the area where the killing is planned, many other raptors spend the winter including Hen Harries and White-tailed Eagles. The area also holds 2 pairs of the globally threatened Eastern Imperial Eagle.
The often completely lacking ID skills of many hunters might result in other species getting shot, too.
Some might say: "Shoot first, identify later".

Markus

Maybe someone could write to Stuart Butchart that he can put this topic on the mainpage of BirdLife International.

This January hunters are allowed shoot 200 Common Buzzards and 50 Goshawks under the pretext of protecting Tawny Pipits, European Green Lizards and Agile Frogs (and more during the following years).

Madness.

a. time of year - January. Even if we supported the general idea, they are quite likely killing the wrong birds. 200 Common Buzzards and 50 Goshawks would quite probably include migrants from further north (for example, significant portions of the Lithuanian populations of both migrate out), ie. they will be killing birds that breed in areas and regions that have none of the species they seek to protect (and they can't be eating them in Austria in winter, as the Tawny Pipits should have migrated out of Austria (I suppose), whilst the lizards and frogs will be hibernating).

b. Is there any evidence of Goshawks, let alone Buzzards, taking Tawny Pipits at all, or least in numbers that would be a threat? Not being able to read German, I can only presume that Austrian Goshawks have not taken a fancy to small side dishes al la carte. Without such evidence, there is no justification on these grounds.

c. Ditto for Buzzards, cannot see them being an issue with Tawny Pipits. Would expect to see evidence if European Green Lizards and Agile Frogs are being affected.

d. With a population in Europe alone of between 2-4 four million individuals, Tawny Pipits are not rare. That said, they are now listed on the 2008 IUCN Red List Category, but as a species of 'Least Concern'. Reasons for noted declines are not listed, but I suppose 'Buzzard dinner' is not primary amongst them.

e. Has Austrain government identified primary causes of decline of these species in the country? Are these being addressed? If the answer is no to either, no justification.

In summary, not the most intelligent policy to have come out of Austria in the last few years, we campaign against the likes of the illegal persecution of these birds elsewhere in the European Union, and here a government within it is promoting the very same!

Isn't European law supposed to protect such birds? How does this stand, is it actually legal?

Last edited:
Just noticed, the website quoted, at the very bottom, has a button for English version - I presume this allows all concerned to add their voice.

(no time now, but will return this evening)

this link takes you to an English summary of the original WWF report (in German).
The petition is only in German, but I posted instructions on another thread (sorry, had not seen this one yet).
I also have some more info about the shoot (from the WWF German version) on my blog - http://alpinebirds.blogspot.com

Hi Markus,

Thank you for posting this very important message here.

I have myself just posted an English version (for me, Josh, as well as others who cannot speak German) on the Conservation Thread.

Please sign everybody it is downright wrong that a top official has announced this carnage will happen when he must know it is against the EU Bird Directive.

Ann :storm::storm:

As a seemingly major part of foreign exports and boosting of the Austrian economy, I'd like to hear Swarovski issue a statement on this (yes I realise there is a conflict of interest re hunting) but as a 'powerhouse' and presumably, major employer has a right to influence and change governmental decisions.

As a seemingly major part of foreign exports and boosting of the Austrian economy, I'd like to hear Swarovski issue a statement on this (yes I realise there is a conflict of interest re hunting) but as a 'powerhouse' and presumably, major employer has a right to influence and change governmental decisions.

As this is a decision made by the provincial government of Lower Austria and Swarovski are based in Tyrol I doubt they will say anything.

Gwynn

It seems like Lower Austria has been up to this nonsense before. I was looking for more info on the web and came up with a pdf document from the European Commission in Brussels. I thought I was reading stuff about what is going on now until I check the date - 28 October 2002.

It seems they just want to protect their pheasants so they can shoot them later. Sorry, mate, shooting common and rough-legged buzzards is probably not going to help your pheasants too much (exasperated sigh, idiots!)

I have more on my blog

As at 20 Jan 09, 86 buzzards and 2 goshawks had been shot (according to numbers registered with the hunting association).

As far as I can tell, the decree is unlikely to be revoked: the hunting lobby is very strong, and a report by the "Research Institute for Wildlife Science and Ecology" at the Vienna Veterinary University (Forschungsinstitut für Wildtierkunde und Ökologie Veterinärmedizinische Universität Wien Institutsleiter: Univ. Prof. Dr. Walter Arnold) suggests that 247 Buzzards and 45 Goshawks can be shot every year (a number they calculate as being 1% of the yearly average mortality) to help protect a list of 26 species that have some level of conservation concern (even if the predators mentioned do not in any way threaten the other species mentioned).

Justifying the shoot by the first criteria makes sense if it fulfills the requirements of European Law (the 1% of mortality thing). Passing the shooting off under the guise of a conservation and research effort just reeks of pseudoscience and dishonesty.

p.s. I put the links to the original legal documents on my blog

The numbers are very sad.
All the arguments for this stupid raptor killing are so full of crap.
There is no way that this will help any endangered species.

In the area where the shooting is allowed, many White-tailed Eagles spend the winter and there are two breeding pairs of Eastern Imperial Eagles.

A hunter now could easily kill an eagle and later say "I mistook it for a Buzzard". I fear this might be enough to avoid legal punishment.

I really hope that nonsense will be stopped as soon as possible.

Markus

The numbers are very sad.
All the arguments for this stupid raptor killing are so full of crap.
There is no way that this will help any endangered species.

In the area where the shooting is allowed, many White-tailed Eagles spend the winter and there are two breeding pairs of Eastern Imperial Eagles.

A hunter now could easily kill an eagle and later say "I mistook it for a Buzzard". I fear this might be enough to avoid legal punishment.

I really hope that nonsense will be stopped as soon as possible.

Markus

According to the WWF, at least four White-tailed Eagles have been shot in that area in the past year - a significant dent to the population.

According to the WWF, at least four White-tailed Eagles have been shot in that area in the past year - a significant dent to the population.

That's true. Maybe even more were shot - or poisoned.
Not all are probably of the Austrian breeding population. In 2008 more than 140 WTSE spend the winter in Austria.
But that does not make the shooting less worse.

Today I red that one of the birds they want to protect by the killing of the Goshawks and Buzzard is the Saker Falcon (which has a small population - I believe about 25 pairs - in Austria). Why killing Buzzards and Goshawks helps protect Saker Falcons is beyond me. Another animal they want to protect is a snake that hasn't been seen the the area for 30 years. What a huge load of crap.

I know want to kill Eurasian Tree Sparrows. They sometimes nest in WTSE nests. How knows, maybe the sparrows turn into killer sparrows and destroy the eggs or attack the WTSE's eyes while the eagle is sleeping.
Only by killing Eurasian Tree Sparrows can we save the WTSE in Austria!

Markus

Hi Markus and others,

My reading of the report that made the hunt possible / legally justifiable is that it is not so much about the endangered species (although these are listed as a side-line backup), but more about being allowed to shoot ("harvest") 1% of the annual natural mortality.

You are right about the Saker Falcon being listed as one of the threatened species though (apparently threatened by the Northern Goshawk).

You can download the original Vienna Veterinary University's report here.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back