• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID? (1 Viewer)

anonymous_guy

Guy R.H. Miller
Warbler ID? Lamma Island, Hong Kong

Wonder if you could help me out with this one.......
Lamma Island, Hong Kong

Attachments

• ID-D3_01033.jpg
    ID-D3_01033.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
An interesting bird - it looks thick-legged, but pointy-billed. The olive tones look better for Radde's and it appears to show a pale wing panel, but the super looks more distinct in front of the eye than a typical Radde's. Also, Dusky can be pretty variable.

And with intermediate birds you also need to think about the rare Yellow-streaked Warbler, which is intermediate in size and bill size. Having read the article separating these species in the 1994 HK Bird Report, there is plenty here to suggest Yellow-streaked (and this article suggests Dusky does not show a dark line above the super, while Yellow-streaked and Radde's can do, but its a difficult one to call.

Did you hear it call - this is a good way to separate all three species - Dusky has a loud "tak", YS a bunting-ike "tzic" and radde's a softer "quip"

Any more pix of this interesting bird

Cheers
Mike

Did you hear it call - this is a good way to separate all three species - Dusky has a loud "tak", YS a bunting-ike "tzic" and radde's a softer "quip"

Any more pix of this interesting bird

Cheers
Mike
Thanks Mike.
Sorry only pics I got........, can try again on saturday...., it was around me and Neil all morning but only popped up for a second and was gone.

The sound was rather harsh, but to say now whether or not it was a "tak" or a "tzik" sitting here in front of my computer....., hmmmm.
However Neil was doing some video during the morning & may have caught the sound..., I'll get onto him.

Guy,
The supercilium is whiter at the front, buff-brown at the rear.It is also broader after the eye, narrower and well-defined before it. This being more indicative of Dusky.
Radde's tends to show supercilium whiter at the rear and warmish buff tinged in front of the eye, and less sharply defined here compared to Dusky.
The bill on your bird is finer and more pointed than i would expect on Radde's, which would appear thicker, shorter and more 'blunt' at its tip.
So i would strongly suggest Dusky Warbler.
But my! What SUPERB photos!
Nice one!!

Last edited:
I have been hemming and hawing over this quite a bit, but I tend to agree with Phil Baber. In addition to his points, the 2 most salient features in favor of Dusky for me are the black-tipped pale lower mandible and the pale undertail coverts -- which should be a darker buffy/cinnamony color on Radde's. The main feature against Dusky would be the overall coloring -- not the usual drab gray/brown. That may be partly due to ambient light of the location.

Agree the photos are great!:t:

Marie

Anyone care to comment on the possibility of Yellow-streaked?

Cheers
Mike

Ahhhhhhh, yes, well,.....absolutely possible........I'm afraid, .......just that bill again;.....and actually the undertail coverts again -- should be similar to Radde's, but I could be swayed (gotta look up that HK report, remember seeing it sometime ago).

:smoke: Marie

Anyone care to comment on the possibility of Yellow-streaked?

I agree with your comments in post #8, and I also agree with Phil and Marie in that it doesn't look like a Radde's.

Here's a bird that has been labelled Yellow-streaked:
http://globaltwitcher.auderis.se/photo/003677.JPG
Frankly I don't know how it can be separated from one, they look quite similar (there are more images of Yellow-streaked Warblers for example at Orientalbirdimages, but they look a bit less similar to the subject bird).

Edit: I cross-posted with Tib and Marie...

I have no experience with Yellow-streaded Warbler so cannot comment on that possibility, but for one thing: shouldn't the strong legs, thick bill-base, and overall colour (including olive wingpanel) be sufficient to rule out Dusky Warbler?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back