Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.87 average.
Old Saturday 4th February 2012, 22:23   #376
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Can anyone who use the G1 (with he kit zoom) with a swaro scope and 20-60x let me know how it is for vingetting. I had one a while ago and know it worked well with the 30x but can't remember how well it worked with the zoom. I have been offered a 14-45 kit lens and will buy it if it digiscopes well with the zoom but won't bother if not!

"..... There is too much vignetting with the zoom eyepiece at all settings. With the an eyepiece of 18 + mm of Eye Relief ( SW 30 and 45x ) there is no vignetting from 16 - 25 mm using the DCA Zoom. This is not particularly high magnification on the 30x ( equivalent to 900 - 1500 mm ) so I use the 45x a lot. "
Neil
Old Monday 6th February 2012, 19:36   #377
walt-m

Hi Neil
I have read some great posts on the nikon P300, but have you tryed the p500,
if so how do you rate it.
Thanks for any info.
Old Monday 6th February 2012, 23:11   #378
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt-m View Post
Hi Neil
I have read some great posts on the nikon P300, but have you tryed the p500,
if so how do you rate it.
Thanks for any info.
Walt,
I have had the P500 for about a year. By coincidence I took it out to the mudflats yesterday for the first time in a while as I had been preferring the Canon SC40HS due to it's better Vibration handling at long magnifications.
I have some photos and videos taken with it here http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550...7626414882500/
I like to use it on a tripod or resting on the window ledge next to me when I'm digiscoping. I have digiscoped with it too using the Kowa VA3 adapter.
This photo of the Grey Plover was taken yesterday at about 25 meters , hand held. I have cropped it about 25%.
I'm very interested in the replacement model the P510 which should be out shortly. It's lens goes to 1000 mm!
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grey plover P500 DSCN9829.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	368355  
Old Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:56   #379
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
"..... There is too much vignetting with the zoom eyepiece at all settings. With the an eyepiece of 18 + mm of Eye Relief ( SW 30 and 45x ) there is no vignetting from 16 - 25 mm using the DCA Zoom. This is not particularly high magnification on the 30x ( equivalent to 900 - 1500 mm ) so I use the 45x a lot. "
Neil
cheers - saves me spending money on yet another lens... I've been really impressed with the results from the Olympus kit lens for digiscoping with G1 but have not found a good way to attach it yet.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th February 2012, 19:29   #380
walt-m

Neil many thanks for your input the photo,s on flicker was just great, i will be on the
way to my photo shop and take a good look at the p500.
All the best
Old Monday 20th February 2012, 20:19   #381
SeattleDan

I had a digiscoper say to me that one advantage of using a micro 4/3rds, like the Lumix G1, as opposed to a dslr, is the absence of a moving mirror, creating shake at the moment of the shot. She said that it's also nice, compared to digicams, because the sensors are larger, but the micro 4/3rds, is still light weight. I came here today to ask opinions on this very subject. I like the G1 because of it's huge, articulating LCD.

I'm trying to decide between an astro scope, with the finer focuser, and a DSLR or Micro 4/3rds... and/or a Spotting Scope. Mostly, I want this on the premises, where I live, but occasionally, there will be an outing, and I'll wish I had an alternative setup.

On my income, I'll be happy if I have ONE. Still thinking, playing with my cheap scope and cameras, shopping for things I can't buy yet, and always looking out for a "used" deal.
Old Monday 20th February 2012, 20:41   #382
etudiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleDan View Post
I had a digiscoper say to me that one advantage of using a micro 4/3rds, like the Lumix G1, as opposed to a dslr, is the absence of a moving mirror, creating shake at the moment of the shot. She said that it's also nice, compared to digicams, because the sensors are larger, but the micro 4/3rds, is still light weight. I came here today to ask opinions on this very subject. I like the G1 because of it's huge, articulating LCD.

I'm trying to decide between an astro scope, with the finer focuser, and a DSLR or Micro 4/3rds... and/or a Spotting Scope. Mostly, I want this on the premises, where I live, but occasionally, there will be an outing, and I'll wish I had an alternative setup.

On my income, I'll be happy if I have ONE. Still thinking, playing with my cheap scope and cameras, shopping for things I can't buy yet, and always looking out for a "used" deal.
If your budget only allows one, then go for the scope.
Cameras are improving much faster than scopes are, so you'll be able to buy much more camera for your money three years from now, whereas your scope will still cost about the same.
If you must take pictures too, add a cheap point and shoot camera. You can get decent pictures just holding it against the eye piece of the scope. Of course it won't be National Geographic quality, but it will still be way better than a speck on the image that you'd get without the scope.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 20th February 2012, 21:22   #383
SeattleDan

thanx etudiant
Old Thursday 1st March 2012, 20:42   #384
Josef

From what I've seen if your looking for a camera that you can have a nice gallery on BF and print 8 X 10 the P & S is totally adequate. A search on the gallery page will show fine results from cameras like the sony w350 $125). It may take a little time to get there using the scope but one has something to work towards.
Old Wednesday 21st March 2012, 11:25   #385
SjerPlover
Sjerp Weima

Sigma 30mm f2.8 for M4/3

I have been looking for a digiscoping camera with viewfinder to replace my P6000.
Tried 3 different lenses in the shop on a Lumix G3 mounted with a DCA onto my 25-50 Swaro eypiece:

Leica 25mm f1.4; sever vignetting . Answers an earlier post in this thread.
Leica 45mm macro; no vignetting but magnification too high for my taste.
Pana 20mm pancake not available at that time.
Sigma30mm-f2.8 EX-DN: No vignetting

I went home with a Lumix G3 plus the Sigma 30mm f2.8 EX-DN M4/3.
In the field it is a real pleasure to work with this combination. The main reason for that is the electronic viewfinder and the speed and precision of the AF.
I am not realy convinced yet that it performs better optically than my trusted P6000 on the same scoop and on my previous scope (Kowa 663 with fixe eyepieces). But this could also be due to the fact that I have to get used to the camera and the software. First pictures, jpegs' straight form the camera and just sized down and resharpened using Google's Picasa, I have used in the two most recent posts on my PolderBlog can be found here:

http://poldernatuurblokhoven.blogspo...an-voluit.html
Or:
http://poldernatuurblokhoven.blogspo.../compleet.html

Please note the stubbles surrounding the lapwings displaying: these certainly would have given me an issue with AF on the P6000.

Are there more seasoned digiscopers around on this forum who have already tried this lens yet?
Regards,
Sjerp

Last edited by SjerPlover : Wednesday 21st March 2012 at 12:04. Reason: Info added
Old Sunday 29th April 2012, 01:14   #386
erniehatt

Hi Neil,
long time since I have been up here, I must say I am imprest as always with your results.
I am in the process of buying the Panasonic GX1, and had it in mind for digiscoping, hence my visit.
I have been away from digiscoping for a long while and would like to get back into again, still have the scopes etc. After reading this thread I should imagine the GX1 would handle it just as well. Ernie
Old Sunday 29th April 2012, 02:02   #387
davidfree
David Free

Sigma f2.8 30mm on DCA Adaptor?

I note with interest Sjerp's comment on his earlier experience with the Sigma f2.8 30mm on the DCA adaptor. Having been disappointed with the results from the Panasonic f1.7 20mm lens on my GF1, I have not digiscoped for a long time. Now I wonder if the Sigma lens offers a way back in.
Sjerp, are you still happy with this combination?
Regards
David

BF Supporter 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 29th July 2012, 00:10   #388
rka
ttbirds

OM-D + Sigma 30/2.8 + Swaro AT80HD with 45xSW EP - Initial tests had major issues with Autofocus.
Old Wednesday 15th August 2012, 08:42   #389
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniehatt View Post
Hi Neil,
long time since I have been up here, I must say I am imprest as always with your results.
I am in the process of buying the Panasonic GX1, and had it in mind for digiscoping, hence my visit.
I have been away from digiscoping for a long while and would like to get back into again, still have the scopes etc. After reading this thread I should imagine the GX1 would handle it just as well. Ernie
Ernie,
Glad to hear from you again.
A friend of mine in Florida is using the Panasonic GX1 ( not to be confused with the Canon G1X) and getting great results. Have a look at her stuff on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/focused...in/photostream

Neil
Old Thursday 8th September 2016, 02:07   #390
think2100

Beautiful shots, Neil. I'm thinking of taking the digiscope plunge, and these are encouraging.
Old Thursday 8th September 2016, 04:08   #391
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by think2100 View Post
Beautiful shots, Neil. I'm thinking of taking the digiscope plunge, and these are encouraging.
For the latest cameras to look at , consider the Panasonic GH4 and GX8, Sony A6000 and ILSC 6300 or one of the Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras.
There are good threads here on them.
Neil.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: