Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.87 average.
Old Wednesday 11th March 2009, 15:37   #51
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,173
A cloudy day and strong winds required me to use iso 800 for these images. All run through Noiseware. Neil.

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Kowa 25x LER eyepiece

Hong Kong,
China
March 2009
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red-billed starling flower iso800 G1nware_1210018.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	186226  Click image for larger version

Name:	japanese white-eye flower iso800 G1 nware_1210031.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	186227  Click image for larger version

Name:	crested myna flower iso800 G1nware P1210195.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	186228  
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th March 2009, 04:22   #52
Bob Thompson
Registered User
 
Bob Thompson's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 183
Nice shots Neil. being level with the flowers makes a big difference

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 19th March 2009, 03:42   #53
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,173
Nice soft, late afternoon light back at the flowering trees yesterday enabled the use of iso 200 and 400 . More detail obvious without the wind. Neil

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
March 2009
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chinese bulbul flowers G1_1220002.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	187382  Click image for larger version

Name:	rwbulbul flowers G1_1220042.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	187383  Click image for larger version

Name:	crested myna flowers G1_1220031.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	187384  
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 19th March 2009, 03:55   #54
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!
 
RJM's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 2,455
The middle pic would make for a very nice print to frame. Excellent composition and color. Nice work!

cheers,
Rick
RJM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 19th March 2009, 20:34   #55
rob lee
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: norfolk
Posts: 650
Excellent pics as usual Neil, this camera certainly looks the real deal for digiscoping & well worth the outlay as there seems to be an appreciable step up in quality here rather than the usual incrementle (?) improvement. Keep up the good work
rob lee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 00:50   #56
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob lee View Post
Excellent pics as usual Neil, this camera certainly looks the real deal for digiscoping & well worth the outlay as there seems to be an appreciable step up in quality here rather than the usual incrementle (?) improvement. Keep up the good work
Rob,
For most people it still might be too early to buy into the Micro Four Thirds technology because the kit lens only works well (unvignetted) with fixed eyepieces with good eye relief ( 20 mm or more and wide FOV ). For zoom eyepieces it would perform better with a fixed lens, like the 25/2.8 Pancake. The problem with this lens is that it is not internally focusing which means you have to find another way of setting it up on the scope to get Auto Focus. I have a balance bar to do this but using the Swarovski DCA approach is so easy.
Once Olympus and Panasonic come out with my lens choices then this camera should really takeoff.
I should also mention it's a very good walking around camera in it's own right with good macro.
Neil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550...7613397600969/
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 02:36   #57
ostling41
registered user
 
ostling41's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Rob,
For most people it still might be too early to buy into the Micro Four Thirds technology because the kit lens only works well (unvignetted) with fixed eyepieces with good eye relief ( 20 mm or more and wide FOV ).
Neil,

Indeed, the middle photo is unusually fine even by your high standards. I don't have an Asian bird guide, so must ask: what bird is this?

I'm tempted to wait for the HG1, if only because I so like its multi-aspect-ratio feature which was pioneered on the LX3. But for digiscoping the G1 might be the best overall value even after that new model gets in the stores.

p.s. Can you recommend the best Asian bird guide?
__________________
Allan
ostling41 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 02:50   #58
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostling41 View Post
Neil,

Indeed, the middle photo is unusually fine even by your high standards. I don't have an Asian bird guide, so must ask: what bird is this?

I'm tempted to wait for the HG1, if only because I so like its multi-aspect-ratio feature which was pioneered on the LX3. But for digiscoping the G1 might be the best overall value even after that new model gets in the stores.

p.s. Can you recommend the best Asian bird guide?
My last three photos were Chinese Bulbul, Red-whiskered Bulbul and Crested Myna.
My main guide is THE BIRDS OF HONG KONG AND SOUTH CHINA - Viney,Phillipps,Lam for Hong Kong but for SE Asia
A PHOTOGRAPHIC GUIDE TO THE BIRDS OF SOUTHEAST ASIA, including the Philippines and Borneo by Morten Strange.
The lens that comes standard with the GH1 wont be suitable for digiscoping so you would have to get the 14 - 45 zoom for the G1 or a prime when they are available.
Neil
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 03:07   #59
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!
 
RJM's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 2,455
Birds of East Asia: China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and Russia by Mark Brazil was just released too.

cheers,
Rick
RJM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 07:46   #60
Paul Corfield
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Corfe Mullen, Dorset, UK
Posts: 3,010
Another interesting mirrorless/interchangeable lens camera coming out this year will be the Samsung NX which is similar to the G1 but with a bigger APS-C sensor. Looks like it will have a movie mode also. Samsung say they want to be the market leader in these new hybrid type cameras. The next few years should be interesting for the digiscoper.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Corfield : Friday 20th March 2009 at 10:08.
Paul Corfield is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th March 2009, 17:32   #61
Claymore
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: hull
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Nice soft, late afternoon light back at the flowering trees yesterday enabled the use of iso 200 and 400 . More detail obvious without the wind. Neil

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
March 2009
Neil those are lovely shots! I'm very impressed with the G1 and look forward to more developments in this style of camera. My main camera is a Canon 1dmk2 with gert big lenses but i tend to use my compact Panasonic more LoL mainly due to its size. Don't get me wrong the Canons awesome but I look forward to the day when its possible to buy a smaller combo with same quality of images, the way technology is going I don't think its that far away!
cheers and look forward to seeing more G1 shots
Brian
Ps does the G1 have a remote control socket?

Last edited by Claymore : Friday 20th March 2009 at 17:33. Reason: more info
Claymore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 21st March 2009, 17:29   #62
Dave Hawkins
Dear diary, what a day it's been...
 
Dave Hawkins's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 263
Post Kowa 883+G1 with x30WA and x25LER and DA10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
I was able to try the G1 up against my 883 and zoom today. The vignetting was so bad I have decided against buying one.
Now tried my Kowa 883 up against the x30WA via the DA10 and 52mm ring.....as on the x20-60 zoom the vignetting was terrible but...

the x25LER was OK! At 14mm on the lens 95% of the field of view was visible in the camera allbeit only over about 40% of the width of the screen. As you zoom up above 14mm the screen fills rapidly.

Between 18mm and 35mm the vignetting was acceptable (none at all, in the bulk of this range ) but beyond 35mm and up to the max 45mmm it rapidly got unacceptable.

An issue could be the looseness of the zoom on the camera for angled scopes. It was very easy to nudge the zoom as you altered the controls on the camera. However, I easily overcame this just by being careful.

__________________
Dave Hawkins

Last edited by Dave Hawkins : Saturday 21st March 2009 at 17:37.
Dave Hawkins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 24th March 2009, 00:37   #63
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post
Now tried my Kowa 883 up against the x30WA via the DA10 and 52mm ring.....as on the x20-60 zoom the vignetting was terrible but...

the x25LER was OK! At 14mm on the lens 95% of the field of view was visible in the camera allbeit only over about 40% of the width of the screen. As you zoom up above 14mm the screen fills rapidly.

Between 18mm and 35mm the vignetting was acceptable (none at all, in the bulk of this range ) but beyond 35mm and up to the max 45mmm it rapidly got unacceptable.

An issue could be the looseness of the zoom on the camera for angled scopes. It was very easy to nudge the zoom as you altered the controls on the camera. However, I easily overcame this just by being careful.

Dave,
Try a test without the DA10 adapter, just sliding the camera to the eyepiece on the table.
Neil.
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 28th March 2009, 10:03   #64
postcardcv
Super Moderator
 
postcardcv's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 17,049
I see that the next model is now on the way, the GH1 - http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...937/index.html http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa.../verdict.shtml
postcardcv is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th March 2009, 10:27   #65
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
This version is designed around the HD video function and the kit zoom lens is a longer length than the G1's. It won't be suitable for digiscoping . There are some bundles being offered with both lenses which would be the way to go.
Best price so far in the US is US$459 , body only.
Neil.
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 28th March 2009, 10:28   #66
John Cantelo
Registered User
 
John Cantelo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canterbury, UK
Posts: 5,997
One advantage of the new model is the addition of video capacity - oddly omitted from the original. Not a deal breaker for me, but enough to make me wait for this new version - just hope that it isn't too much more expensive as the current model is right at the edge of affordability for me. What, though, I'm really anxious to see is a fully capatible telephoto lens with a much longer reach. The smaller size/weight of this camera (and its partner lenses) plus its capacity to be used in digiscoping mode surely makes it an ideal choice for the birder wishing to develop an interest in photography,
__________________
John

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
John Cantelo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 28th March 2009, 10:49   #67
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!
 
RJM's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 2,455
At PIE yesterday they also showed a 45mm Macro and a 20mm F1.7 pancake.

cheers,
Rick
RJM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 28th March 2009, 10:58   #68
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
At PIE yesterday they also showed a 45mm Macro and a 20mm F1.7 pancake.

cheers,
Rick
Rick,
the 20 mm/1.7 looks interesting. The macro lenses that I've seen so far from Olympus are recessed a bit far to eliminate vignetting I suspect , but I haven't tested them yet. Neil.
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 28th March 2009, 12:02   #69
Dave Hawkins
Dear diary, what a day it's been...
 
Dave Hawkins's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 263
Lumix GH1 + kit lens

I made a couple of enquires over price and availability in the UK for the above.
Availability was 'early June' and price 'around 1000'

I have decided to hang on for the GH1 and see what it is like though I will be looking for a deal with the 14-45mm lens or one of the proposed prime lenses for digiscoping rather than the supplied kit lens

Dave
__________________
Dave Hawkins
Dave Hawkins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 28th March 2009, 12:15   #70
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,173
FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR THE G1

I finally got around to the G1 firmware update today. There is the camera update and a lens update (each lens has it's own update). The main feature I was looking for was to Auto Focus using the Panasonic adapter for Four Thirds lenses. I've tested it with the Olympus 25/2.8 Pancake and it now Auto Focuses. It's a little noisier than the kit zoom and a little slower but it seems to do a good job and I'll test it out on the scope in the next couple of days if the rain ever stops.
Neil
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 30th March 2009, 04:14   #71
jimscarff
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
Posts: 38
Update on G1 & Pentax scope - digiscoping

[Previously in this thread (message #41) I described my experiences with digiscoping and the G1. I tried to include some photos as examples, but did not do it correctly. The illustrative photos can be seen at: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31221156

Neal and Paul Corfield suggested it might work better if I screwed the 14-45mm lens directly to the Pentax eyepiece. This seemed like a good idea, so I ordered step-down rings.... - it doesn't work. :-(.

The Panasonic 14-45mm lens takes a 52mm filter; the Pentax SMC XW14 eyepiece needs a 43mm thread. I could not find a single step-down ring that went from 52-43, so I had to do it with two step-down rings: 52-46, then 46-43. It all attaches very solidly (with a significant risk of getting rings stuck on if you are not careful about the torque rotating the camera can apply). However, it results in really huge and horrible vignetting at all focal lengths.

So, I am back to just hand-holding the lens up against the rubber eye-protector and shooting in burst mode to minimize camera movement.

I am interested in anyone else's results.

Last edited by jimscarff : Monday 30th March 2009 at 04:19.
jimscarff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 30th March 2009, 09:18   #72
davpen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northern England
Posts: 274
Jim, there seems to be a few 52-43mm step down rings available, eg from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-MegaPlu.../dp/B00005IBVD

or eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/52mm-43mm-52-43-...120392243413QQ

No guarantee that a single ring will work that much better of course.....

David
davpen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 30th March 2009, 10:54   #73
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimscarff View Post
[Previously in this thread (message #41) I described my experiences with digiscoping and the G1. I tried to include some photos as examples, but did not do it correctly. The illustrative photos can be seen at: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31221156

Neal and Paul Corfield suggested it might work better if I screwed the 14-45mm lens directly to the Pentax eyepiece. This seemed like a good idea, so I ordered step-down rings.... - it doesn't work. :-(.

The Panasonic 14-45mm lens takes a 52mm filter; the Pentax SMC XW14 eyepiece needs a 43mm thread. I could not find a single step-down ring that went from 52-43, so I had to do it with two step-down rings: 52-46, then 46-43. It all attaches very solidly (with a significant risk of getting rings stuck on if you are not careful about the torque rotating the camera can apply). However, it results in really huge and horrible vignetting at all focal lengths.

So, I am back to just hand-holding the lens up against the rubber eye-protector and shooting in burst mode to minimize camera movement.

I am interested in anyone else's results.
Jim,
I'm sorry you had that result with the two thicknesses of step-down rings. Could you post one of the photos of the vignetting where it's at it's best? Your eyepiece Eye Relief of 20 mm is the same as my Swaro 30x so it's just a matter of getting the right attachment method. Test by using one of the rings (hand holding ) to see what the difference is if you can get a 52 - 43 mm. Another alternative is the Televue-type adapter in the attached link. They make two for different sizes of eyepiece but it means that you can position it so the camera lens is at the right position to the eyepiece. I have replaced the metal screws with plastic ones.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550...7614341197469/

Neil
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 31st March 2009, 05:40   #74
wings
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Santa Rosa,CA
Posts: 580
Amazing! they are all so sharp. Neil, according to dpReview.com you don't necessarily get AF on all 4/3rd lenses using an adapter since this is a "micro" 4/3rd camera with 11contact pins, but the review overall was very favorable, especially on the quick response and clarity of the 460,000 pixel articulating LCD.

What I didn't understand is that the specs says it has HDMI Output but it does not shoot HD video?
wings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 31st March 2009, 05:44   #75
wings
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Santa Rosa,CA
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Nice soft, late afternoon light back at the flowering trees yesterday enabled the use of iso 200 and 400 . More detail obvious without the wind. Neil

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
March 2009
_______________
That (second shot) would be a bulbul? I am guessng because of its crest and reddish vent.
wings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panasonic Lumix G1 John Cantelo Panasonic 42 Saturday 17th April 2010 21:41
Digiscoping with the Panasonic Lumix G1 ostling41 Digiscoping cameras 30 Monday 3rd November 2008 00:33
Digiscoping with Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 jmeneses Digiscoping cameras 4 Thursday 20th April 2006 07:32
What about a PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ30 for digiscoping? Melproudfoot Digiscoping cameras 7 Thursday 5th January 2006 05:20
Panasonic Lumix FZ-10 normjackson Panasonic 72 Monday 5th April 2004 08:28

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21824789 seconds with 35 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20.