• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark, Ebro Delta, Spain. (1 Viewer)

You're actually right CAU...convex in Thekla...

Your comment made me realise I misunderstood that identification feature...and I wonder now about my identifications of some spanish Galerida...D'oh!!

Sorry if I brought some confusion in here...

The lower mandibule is convex isn't it???

The id feature refers to the lower (outer) edge of the lower mandible only. In your pictures the lower edge of the lower mandible is concave (the upper edge is of course convex).

Edit: Eduardo beat me.

OK right, I understand where my confusion comes from and...it makes me feel really stupid!!

Funnyly enough, I still think it's a Crested (but I officialy stop to comment on bill shape of Galerida larks!!)

Thanks for your patience CAU!

Actually, location is what pushed me to id this bird as a cristata. Cresteds are widespread breeders at the Delta. Theklas don't breed there, they are at best scarce winter visitors.

This May I did find Theklas nearby in the fincas at the foot of the Els Ports, but agree on the delta itself Crested is very, very much more likely.

Graham

Bill and crest look good for Crested Lark, a strange but useful feature we found when trying to seperate Crested from Thekla in Extremadura a few years ago was that if the bird was initially encountered on the ground it was 70% likely to be a Crested, if it was on a post or wall, 70% likely to be a Thekla, try it :t:

Nick

Bill and crest look good for Crested Lark, a strange but useful feature we found when trying to seperate Crested from Thekla in Extremadura a few years ago was that if the bird was initially encountered on the ground it was 70% likely to be a Crested, if it was on a post or wall, 70% likely to be a Thekla, try it :t:

Nick
Hhhmmmmmmm, not too sure about that one, and it all depends on locality, habitat, and of course, time of year. They are all on posts at this time of year, singing their hearts out. Living in Extremadura, and seeing them every day doesnt make it any easier, and the bill shape isnt as easy as it sounds when in the field. I personally think seeing them fly away is the easiest, the darker outer tail feathers of the Thekla is pretty diagnostic, so you can then say, oh, that was a Thekla !!!!

I agree with the comments about the difficulty of separating these two species, even if you live in the area where they occur and see them both quite regularly. Plumage coloration varies an awful lot with wear (ie. different times of year) and dare I suggest that there is a good bit of local variation in general "ground colour"? Morphologically speaking the best initial clue is usually the bill dimensions and shape, followed by intensity of breast streaking, face pattern and often "greyer" colour of Theklas. Even so, there are a good number of birds that pose a challenge to the application of these criteria.

Certainly in northeast Spain if prefers the top of a bush to the ground then it's probably a Thekla. Also the habitat: Crested Larks prefer more agricultural landscapes, e.g. margins of ploughed fields, etc. While Theklas are more common in broken, stony terrain with scattered bushes, escarpments, etc.

I've never seen a Thekla lark in the Ebro Delta itself and that also agrees with previous comments about its local distribution.

Steve
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com

I agree entirely with Steves comments, they vary immensely, with some very dark Crested, and some very light Theklas, and vice-versa. A lot even have straight lower mandibles, neither concave or convex, throwing even more confusion into the mix. Some Crested have very small neat crests, and some Theklas have large scraggy ones. Habitat is a major pointer as far as probability. A vertiable minefield of confusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back