• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corsican Finch (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

Förschler, M. I., Senar, J. C., Perret, P. & Björklund, M. 2009
The species status of the Corsican finch Carduelis corsicana assessed by three genetic markers with different rates of evolution
Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution In Press

Abstract
Citril finches Carduelis c. citrinella and Corsican finches Carduelis c. corsicana represent two closely related forms, endemic to European mountains and some Mediterranean Islands. Their taxonomic status has recently been disputed based on the results from mitochondrial genes. We show that the use of different genetic markers may lead to different results in these two putative species. Using the mitochondrial ATP8+6 we found a clear difference between C. c. citrinella and C. c. corsicana (3.2%) suggesting a divergence time of 1.2 MYR. In contrast, no clear difference was found using two nuclear genes. The mismatch between the different markers suggests that the separation of C. c. citrinella and C. c. corsicana is likely to be a rather recent event, involving bottlenecks, which have enhanced the divergence in the mtDNA. Our results call for caution when using mtDNA alone for assessing times of divergence and rates of evolution. We did not find any support for the view that C. c. corsicana is more related to Carduelis carduelis than C. c. citrinella as proposed by previous studies.

Thanks Daniel - very topical. In recent days my wife and I booked flights for a week in Corsica in May 2009 to see the endemic species (or perhaps that should be subspecies)...

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back