Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 29th March 2009, 16:30   #1
buzzardbill

osprey

On sunday the 22nd of march i was going over the antrim hills towards glenarm when i saw two buzzards in the distance with another large bird not far from them, and as they came across the front of me i realised that the third bird was larger than the buzzards with a different shaped tail and head this bird had a lot of white on the wing feathers on top with darker brown through them and very dark on edge of wings, this bird was not being attacked by the buzzards but you could tell they were keeping it at a distance and every time the buzzards were near it you could see a big difference in size, at first i thought of a red kite because they are bigger than buzzards and they had been realeased in ireland again but this bird had an awful lot of white through it and i just could not get an osprey out of my head and it looked very like it in my wee book, and as we are on the east coast and thought maybe it was heading for the west coast of scotland to nest and osprey's have been seen in these areas before passing through, but it just seemed surreal, i am 99% sure but as it is a bird i would not have expected to see in northern ireland i have a wee doubt.
Old Sunday 29th March 2009, 23:28   #2
s. james
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardbill View Post
On sunday the 22nd of march i was going over the antrim hills towards glenarm when i saw two buzzards in the distance with another large bird not far from them, and as they came across the front of me i realised that the third bird was larger than the buzzards with a different shaped tail and head this bird had a lot of white on the wing feathers on top with darker brown through them and very dark on edge of wings, this bird was not being attacked by the buzzards but you could tell they were keeping it at a distance and every time the buzzards were near it you could see a big difference in size, at first i thought of a red kite because they are bigger than buzzards and they had been realeased in ireland again but this bird had an awful lot of white through it and i just could not get an osprey out of my head and it looked very like it in my wee book, and as we are on the east coast and thought maybe it was heading for the west coast of scotland to nest and osprey's have been seen in these areas before passing through, but it just seemed surreal, i am 99% sure but as it is a bird i would not have expected to see in northern ireland i have a wee doubt.
Bit early in the year maybe for osprey?? Buzzards can look very white at times.

However a few ospreys are seen every year in NI.

G.A.W.A.
BF Supporter 2009
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 29th March 2009, 23:34   #3
Johnny1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s. james View Post
Bit early in the year maybe for osprey?? Buzzards can look very white at times.

However a few ospreys are seen every year in NI.
Plenty of Ospreys passing through this side of the Irish sea in Lancashire so there's a good possability it was an Osprey.
Old Monday 30th March 2009, 11:38   #4
buzzardbill

i know what you are saying but the two buzzards were within a short distance from this bird and it was quite a bit bigger and i follow buzzards closely and knew this definitely was not one as it's tail was a different shape, and buzzards are generally whiter under the wings this had an awful lot of white on top (i know this can occasionally happen with buzzards).
Old Monday 30th March 2009, 15:45   #5
Finchey

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardbill View Post
Hi Guys

Although i have not been lucky enough to see an osprey in Ireland, I have a friend who has been lucky enough to see one last year. I believe it was also around the Antrim coast area near Waterfoot.

He won't tell me the exact location, as although i have a great interest in birds he knows i have a very keen interest in taxidermy too. He is just extremely paranoid and slightly critical on my other hobby. Its just plain silly because apparently it is currently still illegal to kill any bird of prey in the UK.

I do believe the bird you seen with the buzzards was indeed an osprey. This pic below is one of my favourites where you can clearly see the markings on this stunning bird.

http://www.lakenormanwildlife.org/im...e%20Osprey.jpg

Last edited by Finchey : Monday 30th March 2009 at 18:21. Reason: .
Old Monday 30th March 2009, 16:48   #6
Apodemus

Perfect time of year to see ospreys travelling north
Old Friday 25th March 2011, 16:55   #7
Rob McA

S James is totaly wrong ! An excellent chance of seeing Osprey on the Antrim Coast at this time of year. I'm sure thats what it was BuzzardBill ! Nice spotting " ; )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robireland/
Old Monday 28th March 2011, 20:24   #8
Chkm8

We had an Osprey stop off at Kinnego last year for a few mths.
http://www.biodiversityni.com/craiga...s_stories.aspx
Old Tuesday 29th March 2011, 21:43   #9
mak3154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkm8 View Post
We had an Osprey stop off at Kinnego last year for a few mths.
http://www.biodiversityni.com/craiga...s_stories.aspx
heres the photos i digiscoped last time that OSPREY appeared at the Closet hide in Oxford Island
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	osprey8.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	315537  Click image for larger version

Name:	osprey 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	315538  Click image for larger version

Name:	osprey 3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	315539  
Old Thursday 7th April 2011, 13:05   #10
Pluvius

What about Male Hen Harrier
BF Supporter 2006 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Thursday 7th April 2011, 15:03   #11
spyro1972

Mark those Osprey shots are fantastic.

Allison
Old Thursday 7th April 2011, 15:15   #12
Lmc3598
Registered Member

I saw an osprey a couple of years ago in Northumberland a good way to tell is that it has very long wings and soar on flat wings not v wings
Old Friday 8th April 2011, 20:21   #13
mak3154

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyro1972 View Post
Mark those Osprey shots are fantastic.

Allison
thanks Alison
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: