• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

rspb minsmere and garden studio (1 Viewer)

j palmer

at last a day off work
and id prebooked this visit for six months. so waiking up to fog was'nt the best off starts .

dispit the weather i still cant beleive with some of the image i got.

nearly all full frame with only cropping for composition.

after owning the skywatcher 600 ed for nearly a year my technic with practice to focus is paying off.

40d 600mm scope 2xtc for the avocet and chiffchaff.

40d 600mmscope 40d 600mm scope +2x +1.4tc 50mm extention tube + 3" camer adapter for the goldie and dunnock

im still sorting images out but after 5 years i finaly get my bearded tit's

more of these later.

many thanks

Attachments

• avo-web.jpg
    avo-web.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 143
  • chiff.jpg
    chiff.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 176
  • dunnock-macro.jpg
    dunnock-macro.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 178
  • goldie-face.jpg
    goldie-face.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
at last a day off work
and id prebooked this visit for six months. so waiking up to fog was'nt the best off starts .

dispit the weather i still cant beleive with some of the image i got.

nearly all full frame with only cropping for composition.

after owning the skywatcher 600 ed for nearly a year my technic with practice to focus is paying off.

40d 600mm scope 2xtc for the avocet and chiffchaff.

40d 600mmscope 40d 600mm scope +2x +1.4tc 50mm extention tube + 3" camer adapter for the goldie and dunnock

im still sorting images out but after 5 years i finaly get my bearded tit's

more of these later.

many thanks

Great shots, though the Dunnock may be a little over sharpened, what distance we looking at here.
So how about sharing this focusing technique. Ernie

thanks ernic appreciate the comments.

the dunnock had a little usm .

amount 70%
radius 0.5
threshold 0

as ive got the 40d ive learnt to use the live to focus on something with detail like a feather. once this is in focus.

then ill check the view finder and move the focuser in and out untill i thinks it's in focus . then ill go back to and check live view.
if ive got use to the view finder and on quick moving birds i want use live view.

many thanks
jason

the dinnock was about 18-20ft this i will check .

thanks derry .

these big refractors imho can beat and match top notch lens.

even on the day i bought the scope i tryed it against a ef500 and comparing the images on a full siz monitor it was hard to tell. and this sold it for me.

lurning to shoot with the right exposure when using tc was harder than the focus .

cheers jason

thanks ernic appreciate the comments.

the dunnock had a little usm .

amount 70%
radius 0.5
threshold 0

as ive got the 40d ive learnt to use the live to focus on something with detail like a feather. once this is in focus.

then ill check the view finder and move the focuser in and out untill i thinks it's in focus . then ill go back to and check live view.
if ive got use to the view finder and on quick moving birds i want use live view.

many thanks
jason

the dinnock was about 18-20ft this i will check .[/QUOTE

Your welcome Jason, though looking at your figures, they do not seem excesive but the image does look a little overdone, Thanks for the focus tips, pretty much what I do except I dont use the viewfinder much, mainly to find the Bird, then use the live view, I like the live view because we dont have to worry about the mirror. I use the OLypus E-520, it has several drawbacks but it's a matter of getting use to them. Ernie

no worries ernie we all have to enjoy what we have .

ive wanted the 300-800 sigmonster for years but as this ed80 scope only cost me £300

and im not yet earning monet from images im very happy to get these shots.

many thanks jason

Try this method as alternative to USM.
Duplicate layer
High Pass Filter, radius to about 2.5
Blend to soft light (can also try hard light/overlay for more contrast).

Find it sharpens without looking overdone.
Great shots, by the way!

A good way to sharpen is to convert to LAB (Image/Mode/Lab color). Then select only the lightness channel and apply unsharp mask or smart sharpen. The lightness channel doesn't contain any of the noise in the image so you only sharpen the details without introducing a load of grain. Once done convert back to RGB.

Article here which gives some good info.

Paul.

Excellent photos J

New to this site and I have been astounded by the general quality of photos of birds taken by people here - some are exceptional and certainly worthy of inclusion in bird publications. I know a bit about photography (although not wildlife photography) and so can appreciate the skill involved.

Top marks everyone (esp you J)

Excellent photos J

New to this site and I have been astounded by the general quality of photos of birds taken by people here - some are exceptional and certainly worthy of inclusion in bird publications. I know a bit about photography (although not wildlife photography) and so can appreciate the skill involved.

Top marks everyone (esp you J)

i appreciate you looking and kind coments.

many thanks for the info folks ive been bisy working a 10hrs shift 6-4 bagging up coal for the winter so doing 15 tonne a day i dont feel like doing much apart from the odd garden birds.

hope to get out on friday as it my holiday until wednesday so minsmear and i might do the travel to titchwell which ive never been.

cheers jason.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back