• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 Adapter Ring (1 Viewer)

Kevin Conville

yardbirder
After trying my Pentax 80ED/Yashica 28mm lens/ Canon 350D setup repeatedly and not getting acceptable results, I thought I'd give the ED50 a go.

After getting pretty decent results just holding the camera to the EP, it quickly became apparent I needed a fixture. I made the ring of 1" polyethelene turned on my neighbors wood lathe. One diameter matches the outside dimension of the 16xw DS EP with the rubber piece left on. The other diameter matches the O.D. of the middle ring of the S70's lens.

I set the lens of the camera to the normal position and the depth of the ring allows clearance to the EP without interference. It will not work in the wide angle or telephoto positions. I set the camera to AV (aperture priority) mode and let the auto focus and exposure do it's thing.

I like that I can easily carry the ring and camera while birding and convert quickly to take a pic if wanted.

Here's a few pics...

Attachments

• Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 511
  • 16xw DS Eyepiece.jpg
    16xw DS Eyepiece.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 391
  • Adapter Slipped over EP.jpg
    Adapter Slipped over EP.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 385
  • Cam and Adapter.jpg
    Cam and Adapter.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 480
  • Camera Mounted.jpg
    Camera Mounted.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 460
Forgot to add, a few sample pics...

Attachments

• Egret 1 sm.jpg
    Egret 1 sm.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Duck Chicks sm.jpg
    Duck Chicks sm.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 227
  • English Sparrow.jpg
    English Sparrow.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 444
  • imm. White Crown.jpg
    imm. White Crown.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 350
  • Black Phoebe.jpg
    Black Phoebe.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 263
Thanks Horu,

All were taken at F4 and ISO 100
Egret was 1/500 sec
imm. White Crown Sparrow 1/1250
Black Phoebe 1/800
Eng. Sparrow 1/1250
Duck Chicks 1/1250

F4.0 is the fastest aperture at the "normal" lens setting of the zoom, so I leave it there and let the camera set the shutter.

Some shots are sharpened a bit in PS and the sky scenes are usually cleaned up with Neat Image, a noise reduction plug-in for PS.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back