Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 14th March 2004, 23:42   #1
osborne

How often do owls hoot in the daytime ?

Heard one hooting today at about 13:00. This is the second occasion I've ever heard this and I dare say it's not that rare. How often does this occur and why do they do this ? (listening for Frankis footsteps.........)
Old Monday 15th March 2004, 09:12   #2
Steve G
RAINBIRDER

Our local pair have been doing a bit of "singing" in the late afternoon over the last 2 weeks. I suspect it has to do with population density -we are surrounded by open woodland & have quite a high density of Tawny Owls so there is a lot of competition for prime territory.
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 15th March 2004, 21:26   #3
headington7

Owls

Slightly off the point,but in late 1997 I put up a realistic owl mobile in my classroom,in East Oxford,where the houses are very crowded etc.,small gardens.An owl,(long time ago),possibly Barn,sat outside of the window a few metres away and gazed at it for hours ! Either fancied it or a rival !
Mervyn.
Old Monday 15th March 2004, 22:08   #4
steve_nova

Don't discount Common Jay Garrulus glandarius as they will immitate a Tawny Owls hoot if they are mobbing it.
Old Tuesday 16th March 2004, 02:20   #5
very boring banned member

Some owls do it regularly, like Glaucidium passerinum. But I have heard at least Aegolius funereus & Bubo bubo in broad daylight (and Caprimulgus europaeus, too!). G. passerinum is regarded as a dawn & dusk singer, and I have heard it often in the middle of night, too.
Old Tuesday 16th March 2004, 02:42   #6
Beverlybaynes
Mod Squad

I've heard Barred Owls fairly frequently during daylight hours.

But the funniest is a small gray Eastern Screech-Owl who is currently a patient with our local rehab organization (he's lost one eye). Everytime our female handler opens the door to feed him, he trills or hoots at her! Day or night!

I'm really rather jealous. I fed the little hootie for a week while she was gone, and he never even opened his one good eye a single time for me!

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
--Langston Hughes
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006
Old Tuesday 16th March 2004, 14:01   #7
gthang
Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....

what about Mourning Doves? If you guys get them in your area, then it could be that. I got confused once by these creeps. Almost made me look for a large owl. Dove's voice is like, "Hoo-oooh hoo hoo-hoo"
Old Tuesday 16th March 2004, 16:13   #8
IanF

I can't recall hearing any day time Owls. The earliest I can remember being late evening whilst still day light in the Summer.
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Friday 26th March 2004, 23:39   #9
StevieEvans
Forum Member

Osborne
I have observed all 5 native owls call during the daytime (as opposed to daylight hours) & would say that the Tawny is by far the most regular.
I agree with SteveG about this time of year especially (although we had young out of the nest prior to the end of March last year!). I also find they are noisy after September when the adults drive their young away.
I would remark on a Tawny calling during the day, but would not be surprised by it at any time of the year.

IanF Low Barns is a good a place as any. We Often hear them calling midday there. Had one calling at noon from inside the triangle nest box (from the Bitrn hide) a couple of weeks ago, it had a beautiful echoing quality to the call.
(The Tawny population used to be realy dense there before it started to become deforrested).

Regards StevieEvans.
Old Monday 29th March 2004, 08:27   #10
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Male Tawny Owl hooting in the grounds of Elton Hall at 3pm. on Sunday, 28/3.
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008
Old Monday 29th March 2004, 21:35   #11
peachfront

barred owls do it in louisiana

In my area I often hear barred owls calling during the day, especially in spring. I've even heard conversations. Some of it may be a territory thing, some of it may be keeping in touch with a mate, I'm not sure. The barred owl has a very distinctive call which sounds like, "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you-ALL?" It sounds to me sometimes like pairs may duet, if I am not imposing my own interpretation on their calls.

They call at night too, so I wonder sometimes when they get their rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborne
Heard one hooting today at about 13:00. This is the second occasion I've ever heard this and I dare say it's not that rare. How often does this occur and why do they do this ? (listening for Frankis footsteps.........)
Old Monday 29th March 2004, 21:52   #12
rogerk
That's a, I say that's a chicken, boy!

Not forgetting that owls breed very early in the year, as pointed out by StevieEvans, and they may be 'hooting' as a contact call to recently fledged young.
Just a thought, most owls aren't strictly nocturnal anyway, are they? I've only ever seen Barn Owl in the daytime.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: