• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawaii birds (1 Viewer)

waka waka

Abuser
A friend of mine just sent me these pics, he was in Hawaii this past week. I think the first 2 are some kind of guineafowl, the third bird I have no idea.

Attachments

• hawaii0.jpg
    hawaii0.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 88
  • hawaii1.jpg
    hawaii1.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 78
  • hawaii2.jpg
    hawaii2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 124
juvenile cardinal? (whether red-crested or yellow-billed cardinal I couldn't quite say, as I don't encounter them in the native habitats)

Last edited:
[EDIT: when I wrote the text below the previous poster had only replied "juvenile cardinal?"--the reference to red-crested vs. yellow-billed had not yet been added, so I did not consider the latter.]

The last is a juvenile Red-crested Cardinal (formerly known as Brazilian Cardinal). An introduced bird of course.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Introduced, cardinal and juvenile, but the species involved is the Yellow-billed.

I know that Red-crested/Brazilian Cardinals have been present on Hawaii for many decades (first introduced in the 1930s). I wasn't aware that Yellow-billed had been introduced. If it has been introduced (which bkrownd's subsequently added remark suggests), then I agree it is a better fit since juvenile red-crested typically has a dark bill.

Jim

Last edited:
Yellow-billed are pretty common on some areas of the big island. I don't know about their overall distribution on other islands. I couldn't quickly find a photo of a juvenile yellow-billed to check if they have any hint of their black bib as juveniles or not. I also don't know about the range of bill and leg colors of juveniles of either species.

I also don't know about the range of bill and leg colors of juveniles of either species.

Chicks of both species are black-billed, but almost as soon as the Yellow-billed leaves the nest at least the lower mandible is largely dull orangish. In contrast, juv. Red-crested have an almost entirely black bill, with at most the cutting edge dull yellowish, though older immature often get the adult bill pattern & colour (pale greyish with a dark culmen) before having moulted fully into ad. plumage. Juveniles of both species have greyish legs. In addition to the colour of the bill, Red-crested appears proportionally heavier-billed than Yellow-billed, the section of the hood on the throat/chest usually appears paler than the section on the face-sides in juv. Yellow-billed (more uniform in juv. Red-crested), and Red-crested show a crest almost from the point they leave the nest, and while it is smaller than in the adults, it is virtually always relatively easy to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back