Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 4th May 2009, 18:45   #1
johnandchar

Help, my cat has brought a baby bird home uninjured. Derby, England.

My cat has just walked down my path with a baby bird in it's mouth. Luckily my cat only has one tooth and the bird seems to be uninjured. I have looked around and have no idea where the nest is so cannot return the bird to the area.
My wife has put it in a shoe box but we have no idea what to do now!! Someone please help...what should we do?!

We are in Derby, England.

Thanks,
John
Old Monday 4th May 2009, 19:33   #2
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Have a read here first:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=76466

Post any other questions you still have after reading it.
Old Monday 4th May 2009, 19:36   #3
cjay
Forum Member

Put it back under a hedge and leave it alone.
Old Tuesday 5th May 2009, 13:55   #4
GavinM
Improving user

Ours brought in a Greenfinch early on Saturday morning. Totally uninjured until it had banged its head a few times trying to escape the bedroom. We eventually caught the poor thing, but it was stunned and wouldn't fly away. We did the shoebox thing for an hour, took it outside, lifted the lid and it went back to its calling mate in an instant.

Cats are a pain in the bum sometimes.
Old Tuesday 5th May 2009, 14:30   #5
Mannix
Forum Member

The cat won't have travelled far to get this bird. Just leave it where the cat cannot get it. It's mother will find it.
Old Tuesday 5th May 2009, 15:06   #6
mikfoz
It's not a competition. Watch the birdy!

The other advice in this thread is good.

At the risk of sounding callous, if none of this worked, the little baby bird was already doomed. You couldn't have done any more and did all you could. A good 40-65% 0f all baby birds will not see their first year out due to misfortune, parental death and predators. If your cat had not been misguidedly trying to prompt you to start hunting for youself as if you were injured/its kitten it would have already been eaten and not troubled you.

Isn't Nature wonderful!

Regards, Mike.
Old Wednesday 6th May 2009, 20:10   #7
johnandchar

Put him back where I think he came from (think he fell from the guttering on next doors house cause I could hear lots of chirping) and checked the next morning but he had died!
I know its only nature but I could of throttled my cat for it!
Old Wednesday 6th May 2009, 21:30   #8
mikfoz
It's not a competition. Watch the birdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandchar View Post
Put him back where I think he came from (think he fell from the guttering on next doors house cause I could hear lots of chirping) and checked the next morning but he had died!
I know its only nature but I could of throttled my cat for it!
You surely must know you're nurturing and releasing a stealth predator into your environment every single day...

Being angry with the cat is a bit missing the point, really. What it did was perfectly natural behaviour. Your cat simply can't understand why you aren't hunting and is trying to give you a nudge in the right direction. It's probably angry with you in turn for wasting its efforts to bring you easy prey for practice and will continue to try.

Regards, Mike.
Old Saturday 9th May 2009, 22:07   #9
Staysee

Our cat did the same last year, brought in i think it was a baby sparrow, cant remember exactly, still alive, so my dad took it out, shut her in and put it under a bush in a garden two houses along where he knew the nest was like....above it.

Didnt let her out again, but she is amazingly smart and the most superb hunter, i have to give her credit, she went right back found it, killed it and brought it too us.

Its a shame, but thats life and unfortunatly our jessie, altho she's 14/15years old, she still loves to hunt, our last house was mice and voles, this place its birds, two so far and we've only been here 9ish months
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: