Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average.
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 18:48   #76
colleenc

Well, these are what's here to work from, at Shollenberger it's completely deserted, and haven't been able to go to the coast in a while. Good to know they are hard and it's not just me. Maybe if I can do these the others will be easier when I get to them. :-)

As for the watercolor, I think I will just have to face my fears and paint a whole lot until I get it to be something natural to my hand like my other media.....it is a bit less of a fight than before, I'm also going to try some real watercolor paper and see how that is...thanks for the encouragement Deborah..

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 20:09   #77
deborah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleenc View Post
As for the watercolor, I think I will just have to face my fears and paint a whole lot until I get it to be something natural to my hand like my other media.....
Actually, I also neglected to mention, you also picked the hardest media to work with - w/c are notoriously difficult - I painted in oils many years ago - much easier - the secret I believe with w/c is that a little less is much better - unfortunately with my own attempts, I still don't appear to be party to that little secret! (Or perhaps it's like Chinese whispers and I heard them say a little 'mess' is much better )

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 04:10   #78
colleenc

yes Deborah, I'm finding simple is better and messing around loses the freshness, but I do see artists like Harris-Ching do photo detail realism with it, have no idea how. For now Tim's work is my mentor, I'm trying to do it like he does...also wc is the only media I haven't mastered yet, so I'd like to add it to my tool bag. I'm now at home with pastel and oil I used to do acrylic, but prefer oil, so seldom use it.

I used to do a very esoteric painting theory called Illumimism, whereby adhering to certain principals of color application that are dervived from how color works in the atmosphere, you create a color field that at the end is subtly tranformed into some subject matter. I did this work for 7 years, it uses watercolor glazes only and a painting might have 300-400 layers of pure transparent color ( yes it can be done if you are crazy enough to work for at least a year every day to get the technical skill before you can manage your first real painting) So the only way I know to do wc is the glaze. Working with a full brush and making it fit a subject you've already drawn is new, so is mixing colors, as in Illuminism all colors are mixed optically by the transparent layers on the paper. I'll post one if you're interested.

Today at the tree I tried something different, I didn't draw I went direct to the wc and did direct painting only. This was fun and challenging, no way to correct, and going back over to add something only spoiled it, so you have one shot, it sure is good training.
various egrets, mostly great, and one page of the night heron...

The results are OK, ( my idea of high praise for my work) and I think I'll try it again. Best part is, it's teaching me how much water to add to get different values.

I did a few pages then stopped to pick up a young snowy that fell out of the nest and was in the street, we have a local bird rescue group that helps them. I snuck a quick look at its wing structure before I took it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	night heron brush only 9569.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	206612  Click image for larger version

Name:	egret brush only   9566.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	206613  Click image for larger version

Name:	egrets brush only 9567.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	206614  Click image for larger version

Name:	egrets brush only 9568.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	206615  

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 09:56   #79
timwootton

Superb - bravo. This is certainly an approach which has reaped dividends. Really love these.
I don't know about being your mentor - I'm probably learning more from you and your approach than the other way around!
Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 11:49   #80
ARTHUR BISHOP

agree with Tim , enjoying the trip

Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 13:07   #81
solitaryVSong

Very nice work Colleen. Sometimes it's refreshing to work in a style that can't be corrected. I think it forces you to get right to the point and that directness can enliven the work. These have a real sense of life!

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th July 2009, 04:46   #82
colleenc

Thanks for the kind comments all.

I thought you might like to see what feeding time is like. You can see the kids are now about the same size as the poor parent. I wonder how many moms and dads would be willing to face this at every meal:

You come in the door, the kids who are just about your size, scream at you, leap at your neck, grab your head and pull you to the floor and bury you, stabbing and punching to get more food....then you crawl out from under the brood, rest a min and go out to get the next meal. After you leave the kids attack each other fighting for who gets the best spot on the branch....Sound like fun? :eek:

It sure creates beautiful forms visually Someday maybe I'll try to paint it somehow...very abstract but recognizable to a birder
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	great egret feeding frenzy b sm.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	206840  Click image for larger version

Name:	great egret feeding frenzy sm.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	206841  

Old Monday 13th July 2009, 06:19   #83
colleenc

No they are not mine just had to put these up , I got a book from 3000 miles away from the intra library loan system here. The book is On by of course the great LJ...it's all in Swedish, but who cares I can still see the pics, I believe it's a few months at the island he has his home on, each page has a date in June July or Aug.

..but I thought it was great it's right in line with what I'm attempting. Notice he drew a few lines, I will too when I try some flight sketches...something to aim for!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lars jonsson egrets sm.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	206843  

Old Monday 13th July 2009, 08:13   #84
timwootton

Thanks for flagging up the Jonsson drawings Colleen - we (and probably you) will know it better as 'Bird Island' (I put it on a reading list for you, on another thread, on another forum ) and is a seminal work by the great man.
Anyone who hasn't seen a copy - do yerselves a favour.
Old Monday 13th July 2009, 08:39   #85
Woody

Nice idea Colleen, the direct drawing of shapes with the watercolour takes away the temptation to add the details, stripping the process down to the basics and strengthening the foundations for fieldwork.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Tuesday 14th July 2009, 07:48   #86
colleenc

trying to get some practice with the flight forms before I try a direct method...the wings are so big an they can be in so many different configurations and positions....these are a bit stiff, but I'm just starting
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	egret flight sketches.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	207024  

Old Thursday 16th July 2009, 10:09   #87
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

you've been very busy and this has reaped huge rewards - the experimentation in using just the brush has created some beautifully flowing poetic shapes. Feeding time looks like a big pillow fight! What an exciting place!
Old Friday 17th July 2009, 00:17   #88
deborah4

Perseverance is certainly paying off with these egrets and herons Colleen - some great fluid work there.

Old Saturday 18th July 2009, 22:03   #89
colleenc

thanks Deborah perserverance can do a lot to make up for natural talent I find.

great analogy Nick it does look like that!

Taking a short break from the egrets, I went to see the new chicks at Bodega Head, the pair has finally succeeded on the third try

This still has some tweaks with glazes to go, which will blend in the chicks a bit more. and a few details on the adult. I know they are called black but in full sun the body is def brown an the head is black... I' really like these birds, they are amazing flyers, and the call is unmistakable and really loud..

Here the chicks are about a week or so old, and a tiny bit of mussel has been offered.... the point of the bill is aimed right at the chicks in case you are having a time finding them, I'll blend them in a bit more as they really don't show up at all unless they move....perfectly adapted to the surroundings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oystercatcher and chick oil 8x10sm .jpg
Views:	80
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	207708  

Old Monday 20th July 2009, 00:14   #90
colleenc

Here is the final version.....this may be one of those "you had to be there" paintings. Pretty sure the chicks are going to be over looked in spite of all my little painting hints of warm tones and edges, but it is just how they looked almost invisible unless they moved and you knew just where to look.

Put on the final glazes. Still wondering how I'm going to find a way into my own voice with birds....this like the others is a fine record and correctly painted, but not yet quite into a more poetic space of art I hope to get to.

the photos are a bit on the blue side even with PS correction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oystercatcher with chicks final oil sm.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	207945  Click image for larger version

Name:	chicks final oil.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	207946  

Old Monday 20th July 2009, 02:42   #91
colleenc

This little stilt was the first one I ever saw, it walked along with me for nearly 100 yards, at Shollengberger Park. I'm entranced with these birds they are to me sort of zen japanese designs.

I loved the water it walked in reflecting all the things on the bank, like beautiful multi streaked silk...

oil on panel 8x10"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stilt in golden water oil sm.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	207949  

Old Monday 20th July 2009, 18:26   #92
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

you'll have to excuse me if I looked at these and just admired them, I had a comment going around in my head, but never wrote it down - I hadn't noticed the chicks at first - what a superb piece, the close up is a work of art in its own right too.
Old Monday 20th July 2009, 19:04   #93
timwootton

Have to admit to the same mistake as Nick. I'm getting more guilty of just taking good long looks at the work and forgetting to express my admration - sorry. I like how you've interpreted the ref for the oystercatcher pic and the camouflage has worked very well indeed. Lovely technique, by the way.
The stilt is a proper piece.
Old Monday 20th July 2009, 20:23   #94
colleenc

thanks Tim and Nick

Tim not sure what you mean "interpreted the ref" both of the posted pieces are oil paintings...the ref is not posted, it's combined from shots I did on site and my field sketches...
or maybe I just read it wrong.....:-)

Last edited by colleenc : Monday 20th July 2009 at 20:30.

Old Monday 20th July 2009, 21:16   #95
timwootton

Quote:
thanks Tim and Nick

Tim not sure what you mean "interpreted the ref" both of the posted pieces are oil paintings...the ref is not posted, it's combined from shots I did on site and my field sketches...
or maybe I just read it wrong.....:-)
Hi Colleen - sorry, just me being a bit 'multi-platform'. I saw the pics of the black oystercatcher you posted on WC and assumed you were working from them.
Apologies.
Old Monday 20th July 2009, 23:54   #96
colleenc

Oh right I forgot I did that over there.....I watched for 20 min or so while they brought the chicks food and stood over them...then the parents flew off for quite some time...with all the gulls around I was concerned, but I think the chicks have an overhang they hide in...and probably the parents were close by as the rocks are coated with mussels so food is plentiful. Soon I hope to have a scope so I can do more drawing, on this one I pretty much used a photo and one sketch I did, since once I found them with the bins, I could see them with my eyes.

Old Tuesday 21st July 2009, 00:54   #97
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Here is the final version.....this may be one of those "you had to be there" paintings. Pretty sure the chicks are going to be over looked in spite of all my little painting hints of warm tones and edges, but it is just how they looked almost invisible unless they moved and you knew just where to look.

Put on the final glazes. Still wondering how I'm going to find a way into my own voice with birds....this like the others is a fine record and correctly painted, but not yet quite into a more poetic space of art I hope to get to.

the photos are a bit on the blue side even with PS correction.
They may be overlooked at first but then they're all that much more of a pleasant surprise when you do notice them!

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 21st July 2009, 07:52   #98
colleenc

Ken I'll have to keep the "and chicks" in the title then people may actually find them

yellowleg sketches from 4 days ago, the only bird besides a kildeer I saw at Shollenberger.

5x7 oil of mallards at Howath Park, I just finished reading "The Peerless Eye" on the life and work of Liljefors, best book I've read on him, and has a fold out page with his "Eiders in Flight" the 16 foot painting lifesize of these ducks. Also in it was an evening scene on a pond. Since I have a nice lake nearby where I can see this effect I decided to go see, and yep it looks just like his painting, so I decided to try my own...this is in oil, but think I'll try it in watercolor too. There are 2 ducks the one you see in the bright area and one that is in shadow.... so dark against light and pale dark against dark is how it works out...I think I'd like to explore this more.

Went out to Bodega Head to see how the chicks are doing, and it was gale winds and friggen cold, had to lay down to see it was blowing so hard, and could only stand the full wind for a few min even with 2 coats on. ( nice California July summer weather ) I didn't see the chicks only one adult for a short time, hope they are OK I did get to see the gulls fly in that strong wind, easier to draw they never had to flap, just launched themselves into the wind and held steady. Will post the flight sketches later.

Before I got to the Headlands, I stopped at the bay and the bay oc were nicely lined up on the rocks, and stayed there while I drew, and I was only about 20 feet away so I could do it without aids. I plan to try and add a bit of watercolor to this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yellow leg sketchbook 9593.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	208111  Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset shadows oil 5x7.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	208112  Click image for larger version

Name:	oc in the bay sketchbook 9592.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	208113  

Old Tuesday 21st July 2009, 08:45   #99
Woody

The oyster catchers are a lovely piece of work, those chicks look like they're made from the stuff of the rock, excellent camouflage and just as they should be.
Sketches are great too, it's getting easier isn't it!

I have to say that I quite like being out in 'adverse' conditions, it keeps other people (including dog walkers and kids) indoors and allows me to observe different aspects of the birds lives and, sometimes, results in unusual paintings.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Tuesday 21st July 2009, 09:08   #100
timwootton

Fabulous oil, Colleen - really capturing the essense of the moment. These sketches are absolutely stunning, too (and beautifully designed pages).
Funny you should metion Peerless Eye - I've JUST (yesterday) taken delivery of my own copy. There are some achingly beautiful images in there (and a rather curous one of a duck on a line, being held in position for a photo to be taken).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: