Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 02:28   #1
Neil

Swarovski UCA adapter

Swarovski have just sent me their new UCA ( universal -type ) adapter for the new zoom eyepiece (25 -50x ). http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/52#
It's not a swing-away type , like the DCB , but I like it . It takes a while to work out how to set it up and the instructions help a bit. Interestingly it is reversible to handle a DSLR with 50 mm lens as well. You could leave it setup this way to quickly change from DSLR to digicam. I would have liked to have had two connecting plates to make this switch quicker. It helps to have a balance bar , like the Swarovski Telescope Rail to that you can keep the whole thing steady as a DSLR will make it back heavy.
These photos show the Ricoh GX100 and the Nikon D90 setup.
Neil.

Hong Kong,
China.
July 2009
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	digiscoping GX100 sw25-50x UCA DSCN0151.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	205397  Click image for larger version

Name:	swarovski UCA 25-50x D90_1540917.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	205398  
Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 02:48   #2
blue185jay

Questions on Swarovski UCA adapter

Hi Neil,
Will the UCA adapter work ok on the 20x-60x and 30x eyepiece? If it will not work on these eyepieces, does it look like you could make tubes that would fit the eyepieces and would work in the adapter?

Regards,

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Swarovski have just sent me their new UCA ( universal -type ) adapter for the new zoom eyepiece (25 -50x ). http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/52#
It's not a swing-away type , like the DCB , but I like it . It takes a while to work out how to set it up and the instructions help a bit. Interestingly it is reversible to handle a DSLR with 50 mm lens as well. You could leave it setup this way to quickly change from DSLR to digicam. I would have liked to have had two connecting plates to make this switch quicker. It helps to have a balance bar , like the Swarovski Telescope Rail to that you can keep the whole thing steady as a DSLR will make it back heavy.
Neil.

Hong Kong,
China.
July 2009
Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 05:54   #3
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue185jay View Post
Hi Neil,
Will the UCA adapter work ok on the 20x-60x and 30x eyepiece? If it will not work on these eyepieces, does it look like you could make tubes that would fit the eyepieces and would work in the adapter?

Regards,

Robert
Robert,
No problem with the 20-60x zoom but the 30x and 45x are tapered and so don't give a firm support. It would be possible to fit some kind of sleeve.
Neil.
Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 12:14   #4
bughunter

Hi Neil, thanks for the info.
On your pic is the thread of the eyepiece protector visible. May be the UCA fits stronger, if you remove it. For the DCB-A it needs also to be removed, according to the Swaro manual.

It looks like that the zoom value cannot be changed with the UCA locked?

What is your experience with the 25-50W eyepiece compared to the fixed ones for digiscoping? The new zoom is my only eyepiece and I'm new to digiscoping, but I think it's very usable for that task.

Regards,
Frank
Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 14:44   #5
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter View Post
Hi Neil, thanks for the info.
On your pic is the thread of the eyepiece protector visible. May be the UCA fits stronger, if you remove it. For the DCB-A it needs also to be removed, according to the Swaro manual.

It looks like that the zoom value cannot be changed with the UCA locked?

What is your experience with the 25-50W eyepiece compared to the fixed ones for digiscoping? The new zoom is my only eyepiece and I'm new to digiscoping, but I think it's very usable for that task.

Regards,
Frank
Frank,
Thanks. Yes , I will take the eyepiece protector off.
The Eye Relief of the new zoom is stated at 17 mm throughout the zoom range, whereas the 30x is 20 mm and the 45x is 18 mm. Although you can use the DCA with the new zoom it doesn't get the lens close enough to the eyepiece for me. I'm planning to use the UCA with the zoom eyepiece , even with the 8400 as I like the idea of only one eyepiece and I like the extra magnification over the 30x which is my normal eyepiece. But the main benefit of the zoom is with DSLRs with a 35 or 50 mm lens as you can use the zoom throughout it's range. I will try and compare the zoom against the old zoom and the 30x tomorrow.
Neil

Hong Kong,
China.
July 2009
Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 20:44   #6
blue185jay

Hi Neil,
Are you using the Swarovski Telescope Rail in the pics I see here? If so, what plate, or plates, do you use to attach it to the tripod head? I use the Manfrotto 501 same as you. By the way, I now have a Swaro DCA-B for the 30x EP and I suppose the 45x. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it mentioned in emails on this site. I had to use your method of building up the barrel of the EP part way with racket tape, before it would work with the 30x EP. It would work its way off of the EP at the bottom. This may be why it was discontinued.

Thanks again for all your efforts and experiments and sharing with everyone.

Regards,

Robert

Quote:
Neil.

Hong Kong,
China.
July 2009
Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 22:29   #7
Neil

Robert,
It's attached in the second photo but the strap partially obscures it. I just took the Swarovski plate off and attached a Manfrotto plate. With the heel support that is hidden by the strap the whole setup is very rigid. I should have got one years ago.
Neil.
Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 23:16   #8
blue185jay

Question on Swarovski scope plate

Quote:
Robert,
It's attached in the second photo but the strap partially obscures it. I just took the Swarovski plate off and attached a Manfrotto plate. With the heel support that is hidden by the strap the whole setup is very rigid. I should have got one years ago.
Neil.
Hi Neil,

Thanks. I believe I'm going to get one myself .

Regards,

Robert
Old Monday 17th August 2009, 14:46   #9
Nigelbee
15ips at f64

Neil

Can the UCA adaptor be used when the 'scope is wearing its stay-on case, or does it get in the way? And, sorry, despite searching I can't find the answer, is the Swarovski scope's footplate designed for a Manfrotto quick release?

Thanks and regards

Nigel
BF Supporter 2009 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 21st August 2009, 22:05   #10
CharleyBird

This is interesting. Could you tell me what focal length lens the universal adaptor makes the 65 and 80 scopes?

I know little about digiscoping so here's a second question if I may - I have the CTS85 drawscope with the TLS800 lens which you attach to the DSLR using a T2 ring (See page 30 of the catalogue here
http://www.hoferwaffen.com/images/op...arowski_en.pdf )
So on a DSLR does it change from an 800mm f9 to a 1200mm f12/13 lens?

Also while I'm asking, my wife has just bought a Sony 200 alpha so I need to get a different T2 adaptor to fit the Sony. Will any old Minolta/Konica/Sony T2 work, AF or MF? and are there some that are better quality? - I see they vary in price from a few pounds to nearly 20.

Thanks in advance for any answers
Old Friday 21st August 2009, 23:51   #11
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelbee View Post
Neil

Can the UCA adaptor be used when the 'scope is wearing its stay-on case, or does it get in the way? And, sorry, despite searching I can't find the answer, is the Swarovski scope's footplate designed for a Manfrotto quick release?

Thanks and regards

Nigel
Nigel,
I haven't used the UCA with the Stay-on-case but from my experience with the Kowa equivalent it always gets in the way ( I have a "thing" about them ). The UCA only needs the zoom eyepiece exposed to be fitted but does need clearance to go to the vertical position.
I use the Manfrotto/Bogen 3433PL on mine and it fits well.
Neil.

Last edited by Neil : Friday 21st August 2009 at 23:52. Reason: more info
Old Saturday 22nd August 2009, 00:03   #12
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBird View Post
This is interesting. Could you tell me what focal length lens the universal adaptor makes the 65 and 80 scopes?

I know little about digiscoping so here's a second question if I may - I have the CTS85 drawscope with the TLS800 lens which you attach to the DSLR using a T2 ring (See page 30 of the catalogue here
http://www.hoferwaffen.com/images/op...arowski_en.pdf )
So on a DSLR does it change from an 800mm f9 to a 1200mm f12/13 lens?

Also while I'm asking, my wife has just bought a Sony 200 alpha so I need to get a different T2 adaptor to fit the Sony. Will any old Minolta/Konica/Sony T2 work, AF or MF? and are there some that are better quality? - I see they vary in price from a few pounds to nearly 20.....
The UCA doesn't change the focal length of either scope.
Your right that attaching a DSLR to the TLS800 will increase the focal length by the camera sensor magnification. For Nikons that's mostly 1.5x, Canons that's 1.6x and Olympus 2x ( 1200, 1280 and 1600).

Any old T2 should work and I don't think it matters what the price is. Adapters out of Europe are much more expensive than those out of China these days but both are ok.
Neil.
Old Saturday 22nd August 2009, 06:47   #13
CharleyBird

Many thanks, I'll buy a cheap T2.
Reading around the internet I'm beginning to understand the DC/DSLR systems now and how they can be used. I guess I'll stick with the DSLR + TLS800, though zooming must be useful.
Old Friday 18th December 2009, 09:11   #14
nliang

Hi Neil. I recently bought a Swarovski digiscoping setup very similar to yours I just got the setup now and have been trying to digiscope but when I attach the UCA and the camera I lose the view because I suppose it becomes backheavy and tips the scope up a bit. I am now thinking of buying a Swarovski telescope rail to prevent this. I would like to ask if you know if this fits on any kind of tripod head or if I need to buy any type of plates so that it will attach. Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions.
Old Friday 18th December 2009, 09:30   #15
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nliang View Post
Hi Neil. I recently bought a Swarovski digiscoping setup very similar to yours I just got the setup now and have been trying to digiscope but when I attach the UCA and the camera I lose the view because I suppose it becomes backheavy and tips the scope up a bit. I am now thinking of buying a Swarovski telescope rail to prevent this. I would like to ask if you know if this fits on any kind of tripod head or if I need to buy any type of plates so that it will attach. Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions.
The Telescope Rail is designed to fit the Swarovski perfectly but any brands of tripod head plate will screw into it. I have mine on the Manfrotto 501 head.
Neil
Old Friday 18th December 2009, 14:01   #16
nliang

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think getting the telescope rail will solve my problem of losing the view on the bird because the extra weight of UCA/camera keep tipping the scope up?
Old Friday 18th December 2009, 21:36   #17
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nliang View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think getting the telescope rail will solve my problem of losing the view on the bird because the extra weight of UCA/camera keep tipping the scope up?
Yes. It has a long travel so will do a good job of balancing most consumer cameras (up to Nikon D90).
Neil.
Old Wednesday 10th February 2010, 18:27   #18
Donut200

Does this adapter work with Sony DSC-HX1 ?I've got a Swarovski 80 HD scope.Will these things work ?Thanks !

EDIT:My cope is Swarovski STS 80 HD

Last edited by Donut200 : Wednesday 10th February 2010 at 18:35. Reason: Added scopes full name
Old Friday 12th February 2010, 01:36   #19
digiscope09

Swarovski UCA Adapter

Quote:
Robert,
No problem with the 20-60x zoom but the 30x and 45x are tapered and so don't give a firm support. It would be possible to fit some kind of sleeve.
Neil.
Neil

Can you please provide the internal diameter measurement of the UCA barrel please. If it is sufficiently large, I will get a nylon sleeve made to slide over each end of the 30X eyepiece, then slide the barrel onto them.

Thanks

Finno
Old Sunday 14th February 2010, 09:35   #20
Donut200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut200 View Post
Does this adapter work with Sony DSC-HX1 ?I've got a Swarovski 80 HD scope.Will these things work ?Thanks !

EDIT:My cope is Swarovski STS 80 HD
Plz guys i really need answer !
Old Monday 3rd May 2010, 08:24   #21
Dale Forbes
SWAROVSKI OPTIK Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut200 View Post
Plz guys i really need answer !
Hi Donut, did you ever get an answer to your question? You camera is very unlikely to work for digiscoping as these super-zooms normally need a huge eye relief (I would guess over 30mm for your 20x). This means that the camera will not work behind the scope, regardless what adapter you try. But, the easiest way to see if any camera will work is simply to hand hold it behind the eyepiece, if you can get a vignetting free image somehow, then a mechanical adapter (like the UCA) will support you.

Hope this helps and kind regards,
Dale

www.birdinggame.com
BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Old Monday 3rd May 2010, 08:26   #22
Dale Forbes
SWAROVSKI OPTIK Austria

I have just posted some videos and instructions on how to set up and use the UCA digiscoping adapter for a DSLR and a compact camera

Happy digiscoping,
Dale

www.birdinggame.com
BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: