Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 16:57   #1
clive2604

wildlife in graphite

Hi,

I'm a wildlife artist from the south coast of england specializing in graphite drawings of birds and mammals.After concentrating on animal art for the last 10 years or so ive got bored with big cats and other exotica and returned to my roots drawing british birds and animals.I'm a bit rusty with my birding skills but luckily ive got some wonderful birding spots nearby and i'm really relishing re-aquainting myself with the art.
My particular favourites are waterbirds and i love trying to portray my local birds in their natural enviroment.
For the moment ive attached one image and hope to post more soon once ive re-sized them.If anyone would like to view more work,most of my new stuff is on my blog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CLM-Winter-Barn-Owl.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	206538  
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 17:07   #2
mark richards

bloody fantastic mate,this is very good,hope to see more mark...
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 17:12   #3
clive2604

many thanks mark,hope to have some more by early next week

regards
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 17:36   #4
timwootton

Wow - that's one to gasp at! Super work Clive and a huge welcome to the best bit of Birdforum. Loking forward to seeing more.
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 18:22   #5
Woody

Excellent work Clive and it's good to see you in the best bit! Your gallery website has some very impressive stuff too and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more of the Brit birds.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 18:33   #6
colleenc

the wonders of a good graphite work never fails to satisfy my eyes....the range of values and textures is just wonderful here. hope to see more soon.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 09:49   #7
clive2604

[quote=timwootton;1526813]Wow - that's one to gasp at! Super work Clive and a huge welcome to the best bit of Birdforum.[quote]

thanks tim,ive been lurking for a while,love your work,very inspiring.

regards
Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 10:02   #8
clive2604

hi mike and thanks for your comments,thoroughly enjoying the artwork here,all very inspiring and helping to re-ignite my passion for birding
Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 10:50   #9
seggs
Alrite!

Wow...................speachless! fantastic.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 11:43   #10
ARTHUR BISHOP

Hi Clive & welcome , had a look at your site superb work looking forward to seeing more.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 12:25   #11
clive2604

more images

i am a complete technophobe so i hope these images are ok.i managed to download a free image resizer so here goes.these are all completed using graphite and can take upto 8 weeks to complete some of the more detailed images.this selection more accurately reflects my love of waterbirds and i am hoping to be able to do more of them as they make drawing a joy and free's me from the drudgery of endless big cats!.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greylag trio.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	206656  Click image for larger version

Name:	On thin ice-moorhen.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	206657  Click image for larger version

Name:	oystercatchers at roshven bay,western scotland.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	206658  
Old Sunday 12th July 2009, 15:55   #12
jomo

Wow -- very impressive! Welcome to the forum!
Old Monday 13th July 2009, 03:18   #13
buzzard12

Welcome to the forum, and what an entrance!

The Moorhen is breathtaking, an immense tour de force with regard to the detail involved, without detracting from a superb composition. The treatment of the snow is masterful.
A special word for the Oystercatchers, has it all, really well drawn and full of acute observation....
Old Monday 13th July 2009, 08:29   #14
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12 View Post

The Moorhen is breathtaking, an immense tour de force with regard to the detail involved, without detracting from a superb composition. The treatment of the snow is masterful.
A special word for the Oystercatchers, has it all, really well drawn and full of acute observation....
Can't argue with that! Love the oiks, it's just as we see 'em and you are clearly, a master draughtsman.

Mike

Old Monday 13th July 2009, 16:00   #15
clive2604

thanks jo,buzzard12 and mike. i really appreciate your comments especially bearing in mind the knowledge of your subject that you all bring.I'm really a novice birdwatching wise as i'm only just re-discovering a childhood passion for birds but i love drawing them and hope to learn a lot here.

Last edited by clive2604 : Monday 13th July 2009 at 16:09.
Old Monday 13th July 2009, 17:43   #16
timwootton

These are all superb, but my favourite piece of work is the descriptive mark-making on the preening goose's neck; that turn and change of planes is brilliantly done and so perfectly natural. Ace!
Old Monday 13th July 2009, 22:06   #17
clive2604

many thanks tim,the preening goose was the one that gave me the most trouble artistically speaking and the particular bit you mention seemed to take forever to get looking right to my eye and so i'm chuffed someone with your experience thinks i got it right...phew!
Old Wednesday 15th July 2009, 21:45   #18
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12 View Post

I went cold looking at it - so superbly done is the whole.
Old Thursday 16th July 2009, 10:23   #19
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

Welcome to the forum - I'll start off by being honest, the first pic made me think, it's very nice and technically very good, but it's just another barn owl (perhaps the most depicted bird), the second batch made me shut my mouth in admiration! Great stuff, these are more than just laborious work for highly detailed results that bear no resemblznce to the living thing, these are living, and what's good is that each of these pictures seems to send me back to a moment I've seen.
Hope all that makes sense, still not finished my coffee this morning so brain a little slow to catch up.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Old Thursday 16th July 2009, 18:00   #20
solitaryVSong

Very impressive Clive,

I'm a bit with Nick in my reaction to the first barn owl drawing. I always find that graphite work tends to stay too much in just the midtones for my taste. But as I look at your other work, and then back again at the barn owl, I see that's not the case. The drawings have a real vibrancy to them. So I guess it pays not to go on first impressions but really take a good look around!!

By the way I tried your links to your blog and website. I got to the blog alright, and much enjoyed it, but I got an error with the website. Is it possible that it's got a typo in it? Sure doesn't look that way. But I keep getting an error.

Ken

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th July 2009, 19:38   #21
clive2604

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
I went cold looking at it - so superbly done is the whole.
many thanks,it was certainly cold getting the reference!
Old Thursday 16th July 2009, 19:47   #22
clive2604

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
the second batch made me shut my mouth in admiration! Great stuff, these are more than just laborious work for highly detailed results that bear no resemblznce to the living thing, these are living, and what's good is that each of these pictures seems to send me back to a moment I've seen.
many thanks nick,i do love detail but as you rightly point out it has to be about the living bird and unless intended as illustrational art it has to be in the context of a believeable observation.the birds i choose to portray are the ones that a relatively novice birder like myself can relate to and the ones most likely to have been seen,my goal being to show the beauty of even the relatively 'ordinary' birds.
Old Thursday 16th July 2009, 19:57   #23
clive2604

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaryVSong View Post
The drawings have a real vibrancy to them.
By the way I tried your links to your blog and website. I got to the blog alright, and much enjoyed it, but I got an error with the website. Is it possible that it's got a typo in it?
many thanks ken,your observation about graphite work often being a bit mid-toney or flat is quite valid,i think a lot of pencil work is exactly that but over the many years ive been working in graphite i developed layering techniques and this combined with acute observation of shape,form and lighting helps to produce a convincingly natural look.
glad you enjoyed the blog,i'm fairly new at it so hopefully it'll get better!.i'm really not sure whats going on with the website link i'll have to ask someone who understands computers! but in the meantime you can manually type the same address in as it is correct.

regards
clive
Old Thursday 16th July 2009, 21:45   #24
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive2604 View Post
my goal being to show the beauty of even the relatively 'ordinary' birds.
Now that's a goal I share, that's why I often paint 'ordinary' birds.

Mike

Old Thursday 16th July 2009, 22:07   #25
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive2604 View Post
many thanks ken,your observation about graphite work often being a bit mid-toney or flat is quite valid,i think a lot of pencil work is exactly that but over the many years ive been working in graphite i developed layering techniques and this combined with acute observation of shape,form and lighting helps to produce a convincingly natural look.
glad you enjoyed the blog,i'm fairly new at it so hopefully it'll get better!.i'm really not sure whats going on with the website link i'll have to ask someone who understands computers! but in the meantime you can manually type the same address in as it is correct.

regards
clive
Hi Clive,

I think you're right in that you've developed quite a technique that combined with your observation of shape, form and light creates a natural look and a vibrant one at that. Congratulations on doing so! I'm always happy to have my prejudices overthrown in this way.

Out of curiosity I looked at your link in your signature. Under the covers this is what is says:
<a href="http://www.clivemeredith.com" target="_blank">http://www.clivemeredith.com</a>

I think if you delete the from it, then it should work correctly. Sometimes this happens with cutting and pasting.

Ah, now I can reach your site..........

Ach! The hidden code doesn't show up on the web page so you can't see what I mean. I know why that is but it's another story. In any case you have some extra characters in your link. If you just put this it should work: <a href="http://www.clivemeredith.com">Clive Meredith Art or Something Simliar</a> it should work correctly.

Ken

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

Last edited by solitaryVSong : Thursday 16th July 2009 at 22:20. Reason: Some characters didn't show up due to html encoding

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: