• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingbird / Flycatcher - Dominican Republic (1 Viewer)

Peter Withers

formerly tubbtubby
Hi guys,

I cannot be definate about this one? I thought it was a flycatcher (juvenile pos) and was smaller than the Grey Kingbirds. There were a family of about 4-5 of these sheltering regularly under a tree canopy.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

PS. Bavaro, Dom Rep - July 2009, Bahia Principe Resort.

Attachments

• DSC_9980finished.jpg
    DSC_9980finished.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 92
It has to be a Gray Kingbird. The outer primaries look juvenile, maybe young birds are slightly yellowy and the vegetation gave a stronger tone to the pic.

That was my take on this one as well. I have seen several grey kingbird that gave the impression of having yellow undersides.

Niels

Hmmm. Have never seen that in the U.S. Perhaps a Caribbean variant?

Jim

I did not mean to say that they would have looked yellow if transferred to neutral light (because I am not sure about that), just that they looked yellow in the light that happened to hit them. I think that I somewhere have pictures of one that showed that the camera also thought it was yellow.

Niels

One early September day in the USA I saw a Gray Kingbird flying above the trees that had a light yellow wash over much of the underparts. I later checked specimens at a large museum and found that some juveniles have that feature.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back