• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Superzooms - Can I have a look at some shots? (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

So... These pocket superzoom compacts (e.g. Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7)...

They have obvious advantages in portability over DSLRs and they appear to have high optical, and even higher digital, zoom and I wonder if they're any good for a bit of bird recording.

Does anyone have shots they could post showing what happens with these cameras at the higher zoom factors, and in different light conditions?

Thanks in advance.

They have obvious advantages in portability over DSLRs and they appear to have high optical, and even higher digital, zoom and I wonder if they're any good for a bit of bird recording.

Does anyone have shots they could post showing what happens with these cameras at the higher zoom factors, and in different light conditions?

Thanks in advance.

My gallery pictures are all taken with superzooms. The most recent are with the Panasonic FZ28, the oldest are with the Fuji S8100. All of the garden shots (except 2, I think) were taken through double glazing.

You can also just search the gallery with a camera model: eg "fz28", omitting the quotes.

Thanks for these Chris - they're good shots - but the FZ28 is a bit more of a SLR shape - baulkier than the 'pocket' superzooms I'm thinking about...

Thanks for these Chris - they're good shots - but the FZ28 is a bit more of a SLR shape - baulkier than the 'pocket' superzooms I'm thinking about...

Oh, my fault, I didn't notice the word "pocket" when I first read your post. I agree, you can't fit the FZ28 in your pocket.|=)|

I'm pretty sure there are some TZ5 / 6 / 7 shots in the gallery, so you could search for "tz7" and see what's been uploaded.

The Canon S3 is way out of date now, but it might be helpful to look at some test shots I did with mine at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pshute2...LDH175817xTelephotoConversionLensComparisons#

Those shots are primarily to compare the quality of the shots with and without a teleconverter, but they show a fully zoomed in shot, then a severely cropped zoomed in shot in various lights, so they might give you an idea of what such cameras can do.

My main objection to most of these cameras is the difficulty with manual focusing, necessary as soon as a bird is behind vegetation. Some make you press up/down buttons to adjust it, some have dials, a few even have focus rings. It's a point worth considering, in my opinion.

My second objection is the resolution of the viewfinder at about 115k pixels, I think. Double that isn't too bad, and that's another thing worth checking.

I'm also interested in this thread as for sometime now I have thought about purchasing a compact that can stay with me, I was looking at the Panasonic T range as these seem to have quite a focal range but would rather have a quality shorter lens if the mega zoom is not worth it.
I was also hoping to find one that took AA batteries so I never need to worry about a charger
Any suggestions?

very few compacts use AA's Steve. some of the panasonic Ls series do as do Canon A series.

the only super zoom i know of that does is the Canon sx120IS it has a 36-360 f2.8-4.3

I'm also interested in this thread as for sometime now I have thought about purchasing a compact that can stay with me, I was looking at the Panasonic T range as these seem to have quite a focal range but would rather have a quality shorter lens if the mega zoom is not worth it.
I was also hoping to find one that took AA batteries so I never need to worry about a charger
Any suggestions?

Maybe have a look here, Steve, it might help you make up your mind. (unless you already know the site)

The reason I use that site is they don't just concentrate on "pixel peeping", they also give details of print quality at all ISOs.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back