• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-rumped Warbler complex (1 Viewer)

ntbirdman

See citations and abstracts below. Brelsford and Irwin present new analysis of the hybrid zone between Myrtle and Audubon's that concludes there is post-mating selection maintaining the narrow hybrid zone despite little to no assortative mating. They suggest the two deserve species status once again.

Mila et al's phylogeny shows the Black-fronted and Goldman's forms in Mexico to be quite distinct from the Audubons/Myrtle group and Black-fronted and Goldman's to be more distinct from each other than Audubons and Myrtle are.

Combined, this seems like decent evidence for splitting the whole complex into four species. Thoughts?

Oh, and if anyone knows where photos of the two Mexican taxa can be found online, I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find any. If anyone can't access these pdfs, send me a PM with your email address.

INCIPIENT SPECIATION DESPITE LITTLE ASSORTATIVE MATING: THE YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER HYBRID ZONE
Alan Brelsford, Darren E. Irwin
Published Online: Jul 16 2009 6:27AM
DOI: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2009.00777.x
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122514080/abstract

Abstract:
"Hybrid zones between recently diverged taxa are natural laboratories for speciation research, allowing us to determine whether there is reproductive isolation between divergent forms and the causes of that isolation. We present a study of a classic avian hybrid zone in North America between two subspecies of the yellow-rumped warbler (Dendroica coronata). Although previous work has shown very little differentiation in mitochondrial DNA across this hybrid zone, we identified two nuclear loci (one sex-linked and one autosomal) that show fixed differences across the hybrid zone, in a close concordance with patterns of plumage variation. Temporal stability and limited width of the hybrid zone, along with substantial linkage disequilibrium between these two diagnostic markers in the center of the zone, indicate that there is moderate reproductive isolation between these populations, with an estimated strength of selection maintaining the zone of 18%. Pairing data indicate that assortative mating is either very weak or absent, suggesting that this reproductive isolation is largely due to postmating barriers. Thus, despite extensive hybridization the two forms are distinct evolutionary groups carrying genes for divergent adaptive peaks, and this situation appears relatively stable."

Speciation and rapid phenotypic differentiation in the yellow-rumped warbler Dendroica coronata complex (p 159-173)
BORJA MILÁ, THOMAS B. SMITH, ROBERT K. WAYNE
Published Online: Oct 25 2006 12:00AM
DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-294X.2006.03119.x
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/117989605/abstract

Abstract:
The relative importance of the Pleistocene glacial cycles in driving avian speciation remains controversial, partly because species limits in many groups remain poorly understood, and because current taxonomic designations are often based on phenotypic characteristics of uncertain phylogenetic significance. We use mtDNA sequence data to examine patterns of genetic variation, sequence divergence and phylogenetic relationships between phenotypically distinct groups of the yellow-rumped warbler complex. Currently classified as a single species, the complex is composed of two North American migratory forms (myrtle warbler Dendroica coronata coronata and Audubon's warbler Dendroica coronata auduboni), and two largely sedentary forms: Dendroica coronata nigrifrons of Mexico, and Dendroica coronata goldmani of Guatemala. The latter are typically considered to be races of the Audubon's warbler based on plumage characteristics. However, mtDNA sequence data reveal that sedentary Mesoamerican forms are reciprocally monophyletic to each other and to migratory forms, from which they show a long history of isolation. In contrast, migratory myrtle and Audubon's warblers form a single cluster due to high levels of shared ancestral polymorphism as evidenced by widespread sharing of mtDNA haplotypes despite marked phenotypic differentiation. Sedentary and migratory forms diverged in the early Pleistocene, whereas phenotypic differentiation between the two migratory forms has occurred in the Holocene and is likely the result of geographical isolation and subsequent range expansion since the last glaciation. Our results underscore the importance of Quaternary climatic events in driving songbird speciation and indicate that plumage traits can evolve remarkably fast, thus rendering them potentially misleading for inferring systematic relationships.

I've had the feeling that such a re-split would be proposed soon. Audubon's and Myrtle forms always strike me as being at least as different as other accepted species pairs, like Spotted/Eastern Towhee and Bullock's/Baltimore Oriole. In particular, the chip notes of the 2 forms are very different in my opinion. This recent paper certainly adds weight to the argument for 2 species. It would be interesting to see additional behavioral and vocal research for the 2 Mesoamerican forms.

I'm not having any luck finding other images of the mesoamerican forms online, but there is a nice black and white drawing of Goldman's form in my book "A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America" by Howell and Webb. If you're interested I could scan it and post it on this thread.

Both nigrifrons and goldmani are illustrated in the 'New World Warblers' Helm/'Warblers of the Americas' Houghton Mifflin guide by Jon Curson, David Quinn & David Beadle (1994).

A few of my poor photos of Goldman's Warbler are in an old thread (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=56965&highlight=goldmani). Identification was confirmed by Borja Mila (author of some of the DNA work described above). I have included here some photos of specimens from the collection at Tring showing goldmani from Guatemala bottom left, but I can´t make out which is which of the others, but I think the ones on top are the subspecies/species from Mexico and the bottom right ones are auduboni. I will try and find my notes.
I recorded the call which was very different to recordings I have of Myrtle or Audubon's. Borja informed me that he intended to publish something on this (which is why I did not go ahead and publish my own recordings). I just tried to upload it here, but it is a .wav file which cannot be loaded to birdforum. I'm not used to dealing with recordings; does anyone know if its it easy to change it to a format that I can upload? I have attached a document with some sonagrams made from my recording and of Myrtle and Audubons from "Peterson" for comparison (I'm not sure if its OK to include a sonogram I made of someone else's published recording and I will remove them if required).

Tom

Attachments

• All 3 sonagrams.doc
    134 KB · Views: 179
  • Subsp of Yell-rump Warbs Spec. Brit. Mus. Nat. Hist. Tring (1).JPG
    Subsp of Yell-rump Warbs Spec. Brit. Mus. Nat. Hist. Tring (1).JPG
    130 KB · Views: 202
  • Subsp of Yell-rump Warbs Spec. Brit. Mus. Nat. Hist. Tring.jpg
    Subsp of Yell-rump Warbs Spec. Brit. Mus. Nat. Hist. Tring.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Jenner. This is helpful. What I can read on the tags the top birds are from Sierra Nevada Colima Mexico and the other birds, (not goldmani) are auduboni.

Thanks. That would make the top ones nigrifrons, which is the Mexican form that may be a full split. They are large with a dark mantle. The ones bottom left are goldmani. They were collected in Guatemala, are large, have an all black mantle and white corners to the yellow throat. The bottom right are auduboni, being smaller with a greyer mantle.

Tom

Last edited:
The recent AOU proposal features some data that might suggest IOC's decision was a tad premature:

http://www.aou.org/committees/nacc/proposals/2010-A.pdf.

In particular, the Mexican Black-fronted (nigrifrons) and Audubon's (auduboni) show broad clinal variation between Mexico and the Rockies in DNA, with fairly extensive contribution of DNA from nigrifrons to birds in SE Arizona. A more conservative stance might be lump Black-fronted back in Audubons. I wonder if this proposal will cause revision of the IOC stance.

Jacobsen & Omland, 2011. Increasing evidence of the role of gene flow in animal evolution: hybrid speciation in the yellow-rumped warbler complex. Molecular Ecology (2011) 20, 2236–2239.
Abstract
PDF

MILÁ, B., TOEWS, D. P. L., SMITH, T. B. and WAYNE, R. K. (2011), A cryptic contact zone between divergent mitochondrial DNA lineages in southwestern North America supports past introgressive hybridization in the yellow-rumped warbler complex (Aves: Dendroica coronata). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 103: 696–706. doi: 10.1111/j.1095-8312.2011.01661.x
Abstract

I am glad they are reconsidering this...The recent NACC proposal convinced me that the split of Audubon's and Black-fronted was rather immature.

Milá et al 2011

MILÁ, B., TOEWS, D. P. L., SMITH, T. B. and WAYNE, R. K. (2011), A cryptic contact zone between divergent mitochondrial DNA lineages in southwestern North America supports past introgressive hybridization in the yellow-rumped warbler complex (Aves: Dendroica coronata). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 103: 696–706. doi: 10.1111/j.1095-8312.2011.01661.x
Abstract
[pdf]

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back