• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOP Nottinghamshire, UK (1 Viewer)

Steve Dunn

A birding friend has sent me this pic today from one of his non-birding workmates. It was taken near to Rufford Country Park in Notts this past weekend. What do you think?

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• P300809_15.18[01].jpg
    P300809_15.18[01].jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 595
A birding friend has sent me this pic today from one of his non-birding workmates. It was taken near to Rufford Country Park in Notts this past weekend. What do you think?

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

Although the lack of obvious fork in the tail does favour Bk , I can only make a five fingerd "hand" on the wing uppermost in the picture ,bk should have six ? .

PH

There is a picture of a young black kite with only 5 fingers in The guide to BOP of europe, north africa and middle east; author Benny Gensboel;

There is a picture of a young black kite with only 5 fingers in The guide to BOP of europe, north africa and middle east; author Benny Gensboel;

I think some eastern ssp have a five fingered wing form. but that would be unlikely in UK I would have thought. Even BK show some forked tail even fully fanned and definitely when partially/completely closed (as some naff pics show!)

Attachments

• BK.JPG
    BK.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 120
  • black kite.JPG
    black kite.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 110
Why does it look like it's been cut out from another picture and superimposed on a darker background?

Guys
I very much doubt the cut and paste scenario is applicable here. The pic was taken by a non birder out for a walk near to Rufford CP in Notts over the weekend. He was aware my mate who works with him is a birder and took the pic purely to show him to say ''what was this i saw on saturday/sunday' - I am 100% certain it is a genuine pic taken by a genuinely interested/curious joe public.

We had a Red Kite around here recently that looked rather like that due to missing outer tail feathers. Not saying that's what this is from just the one photo but it's certainly a possibility.

A pitfall at this time of year is that young red kites can show a shorter tail than adults, leading to confusion with BK.

BK usually shows 6 primaries but again, at this time of year, a bird in active primary moult could only show 5!!! Very confusing...

On the balance of probability this bird would be a young RK, but on the basis of this one photo I wouldn't like to say for certain. Wing and tail shapes can appear longer/shorter depending on viewing angle, so don't rely too much on structure based on one image.

To my eyes the wings look quite slender which would point to RK.

Steve

Last edited:
Thought I'd try enhancing the pic. No success whatsoever. below is the result of simply upping the contrast - imho this is clearly a cut-out pic.

Attachments

• P300809_15_18[01].jpg
    P300809_15_18[01].jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 263
Thought I'd try enhancing the pic. No success whatsoever. below is the result of simply upping the contrast - imho this is clearly a cut-out pic.

Listen youth
The photo was taken with a mobile phone camera of a genuine bird in the sky in Notts! It's NOT a cut out job or whatever! The guy who took it is a non birder and purely curious as to what he saw above him! Simple!
It appears that the ID is not gonna get sorted so a case of one that got away...sort of.

Youth! Thanks, that's made my day ;)

If it's a genuine pic, apologies for red herring, and no malice intended - just that I know how some people like to play "wind up the birder"... I have no idea what it might be, though, and to me it looks like one of these RSPB window stickers for preventing bird collisions. Might just be a Marsh Harrier though!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back