• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EU Ban Spring Hunting in Malta (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hi Folk,

At long last the case of Malta has been heard by the EU courts and Malta has to stop Spring Hunting, that means Quails and Turtle Doves as well.
There will also be court charges, fine, whatever to be paid by Malta to the EU.

Story at www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090910/local/european-court-bans-spring-hunting-in-malta

Thank you all for your support.

The CAB's Camp for Autumn hunting and trapping will be held from 12 September to 3 October 2009. Good luck and stay safe to all those at the camps in Malta and Cyprus

There are several videos on UTube showing what the Protection Teams had to put up with during the Spring Camp.

Thanks to all those involved and I am sure the Camps will be there in future until all hunting, shooting, trapping OUR birds has stopped.

Ann:t::t:

Delighted to hear this news. I hope it is enforceable and more important, enforced!

Congratulations to all involved. Let's hope these so called hunters don't just decamp elsewhere.

Jon

Hope you're right but it may not be so, as I've said on the other thread on this.
Some hunters in Malta are already reading this judgment as supporting their view that spring hunting is legal, please read the comments attached to the Times article.
Seems this judgment is pretty narrow, and says only that extended spring hunting of Quails and Turtle Doves as permitted up to 2008 was not 'proportionate' to the aim of conservation of the species.
It looks to me, at a glance, as though it will now be up to the Malta government what to do next: it may not have to be a complete ban.

Last edited:
Im from Malta and UNFORTUNATELY Davercox is right. The judgement was pretty narrow and allows many loopholes that can AND will be exploited. Im so sad about it.

Although this is a victory, and a hard earned one, to boot, enforcement is where the crux of the matter lies. If the Maltese police continue to turn a blind eye, and the courts don't implement the law then the judgement is no more than hollow words. Keep up the sterling work all who have put so much into bird protection on Malta, and don't ease up on the pressure to bring the minority section of the Maltese into the modern world.
Chris

Although this is a victory, and a hard earned one, to boot, enforcement is where the crux of the matter lies. If the Maltese police continue to turn a blind eye, and the courts don't implement the law then the judgement is no more than hollow words. Keep up the sterling work all who have put so much into bird protection on Malta, and don't ease up on the pressure to bring the minority section of the Maltese into the modern world.
Chris

Easier said that done. The Hunter's society has a lot of votes in its hands and they know how to use them efficiently. We can do very little against that since the government itself is in favour of this hobby.

Don't holiday in Malta, that's what I'm doing despite Ryanair offering cheap flights and wanting to visit. Hit their economy where it hurts and encourage everyone you know to do the same

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back