Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 13th April 2004, 23:11   #1
JonB

Golden-Crowned Kinglet

...for the gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6646_800.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	7262  
BF Supporter 2004
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 13th April 2004, 23:23   #2
Glen Tepke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB
...for the gallery
Beautiful shot, but this photo is already in the gallery. And the species is already represented in the database, so I'm not sure why you are posting it in this forum.
Old Wednesday 14th April 2004, 14:46   #3
JonB

Going by the wording on the main gallery page, I got the impression that any pics to be included in the database were to be posted here. I interpreted it as "don't post database pics here, go to the forum off the main page". So that's what I did. Apparently a mistake. Apologies, and it's now noted... however, you could have been a little less brusque in your response. Mistakes happen.
BF Supporter 2004
Old Wednesday 14th April 2004, 16:46   #4
Glen Tepke

JonB

There is no reason for you to apologize since no harm was done by posting your shot in this forum.

My apologies if my post was brusque. It was not intended to be critical. I was concerned that you were trying to accomplish something by posting in this forum and was trying to alert you to the fact that nothing was going to happen with your photo as a result of posting it here.

Specifically, I was reacting to your post which said "for the gallery" which I found puzzling since the photo was already in the gallery. Assuming you meant to say "for the database," I was trying to point out that posting the photo here would not get it in the database because there is already a photo of Golden-crowned Kinglet in the database. The database can accommodate only one photo of each species, though you can search the gallery for additional photos from the database. Since your photo is in the gallery, it will show up in those searches.

I'm sorry that I didn't take the time to explain this more fully in my first post.

I suspect that there are many BF members who are confused about how the database works and the purpose of this forum. Andy Bright has posted a sticky to this forum that helps explain these things.

Glen
Old Wednesday 14th April 2004, 16:52   #5
JonB

I guess I didn't understand - and overreacted. It's so easy in mail/posts for them to come out in a way that you didn't intend. My apologies (definitely warranted this time!), I should have stood back for a bit before "shooting from the hip". Sorry.

I do agree that it's confusing. I understood that this forum was for additional photo's, rather than for those that don't already exist. I'll pay more attention next time. Perhaps changing the wording on the note in the gallery might be in order, though.

You're right, I did intend to say "for the database".

Regards,
Jon
BF Supporter 2004
Old Wednesday 14th April 2004, 17:11   #6
Glen Tepke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB
Perhaps changing the wording on the note in the gallery might be in order, though.
I agree. I also think a section should be added to the Gallery Guidelines that explains the different purposes of and connections between the database, the gallery and this forum, with clear instructions about what to post where. Calling Mr. Bright.

Glen
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: