Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 27th September 2009, 19:25   #1
ejfriis

When to start feeding finches in NC?

This is my first year feeding. We put out an 8" tube feeder in the beginning of the summer filled with wild bird seed, and it needs to be refilled every other day.

Last weekend I put out a thistle seed sock feeder in another part of the yard in hopes to attract finches. I have yet to see a single bird feed from the sock.

What is the best time/season to start feeding finches in North Carolina? I would like to try a different seed (nyger/sunflower), and definitely a different feeder (we find the "sock" to be very unsightly). I'd rather not purchase the more expensive seed/feeder until it is the right season to attract finches.
Old Sunday 27th September 2009, 19:40   #2
The Falcon
Registered Birder

Hi ejfriis, and welcome to birdforum.

I would suggest you should start feeding the birds in early or middle November.

http://www.birdwatching.com/tips/birdfeedingwinter.html
2014 Year List: #225 Clay-colored Sparrow
2014 Yard List: #138 Black-crowned Night Heron | 2014 Latest June Yard List: #62 Barred Owl
BF Supporter 2011 2012
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 27th September 2009, 19:53   #3
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum

Well here in Myrtle Beach, I put my thistle socks out the last week in Oct. Have been pleasantly surprised quite a few times.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 27th September 2009, 22:43   #4
ejfriis

Thank you for the quick responses. I think I will take the sock down, and re-hang it later.
Old Wednesday 30th September 2009, 04:41   #5
CMB

Starting now our Gold Finch populations at the feeder begin to increase. The finches we get prefer sunflower hearts over thistle in the fall through about April/May. I'll have both sunflower and thistle feeders side by side. The sunflower feeder can have 20+ birds on it while the thistle feeder is ignored.

When their plumage begins to change color in the spring they seem to shift to thistle. I read somewhere that the oil found in thistle helps their feathers turn colors, so this is why they shift.

I don't know how much truth there is to that, but our experience seems to follow that pattern. They eat us out of sunflower in the fall, winter, early spring, and then shift to thistle while their plumage changes in the spring before becoming scare in the summer.

Depending on where you live, and the size of the finch flocks you get, don't be surprised if you start to see a Cooper's Hawk or Sharp-shinned Hawk coming through the feeders during the fall and winter months.
Old Wednesday 30th September 2009, 04:56   #6
MLoyko
d[-_-]b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMB View Post
Depending on where you live, and the size of the finch flocks you get, don't be surprised if you start to see a Cooper's Hawk or Sharp-shinned Hawk coming through the feeders during the fall and winter months.
I can attest to that, as I'm sure everybody else can too. I kinda of enjoy watching the hawks come in but they don't come in too often so it's not like I'm setting the little guys up, few and far between hawk visits, mostly get the starlings.

I'm assuming farther north you go the sooner you put out the feeders?

-Matt
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: