Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 22:28   #1
digiscope09

camera settings to eliminate white out and dealing with blue sky background

I notice when taking photos of white birds, that whilst the overall exposure of the photo is good, the feather detail of the bird is lost due to "white out".

Also, when attempting to take photos of birds against a blue sky or on reflective water, the camera has problems focussing. I have tried changing aperture settings and speed settings without a satisfactory solution.

I did read a comment on one of the forums some time ago about these problems but cannot locate them. Can anyone assist please?

finno
Old Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 23:24   #2
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

If the sun is behind you and evenly illuminating the bird and you don't care about background that will be cropped out, try using centerweighted metering if the bird is large or spot if it is small. If shooting program mode, adjust negative exposure compensation until the histogram or Playback highlight blinkies (if your camera has these functions) indicate correct exposure.

If the Sun is behind the bird and casting it in sillouette, you will need to apply positive exposure compensation.

If the Sun directly overhead or perpendicular to the side, it may be impossible to get proper exposure for the entire bird. Best to change position or perspective if possible or just make the best of a bad lighting situation.

merry christmas,
Rick
Old Saturday 26th December 2009, 03:17   #3
digiscope09

camera settings to eliminate white out and dealing with blue sky background

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
If the sun is behind you and evenly illuminating the bird and you don't care about background that will be cropped out, try using centerweighted metering if the bird is large or spot if it is small. If shooting program mode, adjust negative exposure compensation until the histogram or Playback highlight blinkies (if your camera has these functions) indicate correct exposure.

If the Sun is behind the bird and casting it in sillouette, you will need to apply positive exposure compensation.

If the Sun directly overhead or perpendicular to the side, it may be impossible to get proper exposure for the entire bird. Best to change position or perspective if possible or just make the best of a bad lighting situation.

merry christmas,
Rick
Thanks Rick
Old Tuesday 29th December 2009, 00:09   #4
Bosque Bill

If the camera is consistently blowing out the white feathers, try setting the exposure control to a minus setting. I use -0.3 as a default on my P6000 and go to -0.7, or whatever, if the conditions dictate.

The P6000 doesn't have a histogram display for shooting (only on playback which is near useless.) I just try to underexpose slightly and then fix it in Photoshop or CameraRaw, both which have histogram adjustments.
Old Thursday 7th January 2010, 05:34   #5
digiscope09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosque Bill View Post
If the camera is consistently blowing out the white feathers, try setting the exposure control to a minus setting. I use -0.3 as a default on my P6000 and go to -0.7, or whatever, if the conditions dictate.

The P6000 doesn't have a histogram display for shooting (only on playback which is near useless.) I just try to underexpose slightly and then fix it in Photoshop or CameraRaw, both which have histogram adjustments.
Thanks for the tips.

finno
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: