Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 28th April 2004, 07:41   #1
BobCesme
Bob the Birder

Birding in Turkey

Hi there everyone ,just wondered if anybody has any experience of birding in Turkey,sites etc
Old Wednesday 28th April 2004, 08:05   #2
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening

Hi Bob,

I spent about 10 weeks birding in Turkey in 1996 (so things might have changed since then). This was between late March and early June. It's pretty fantastic for birds (I saw about 275 species) and there are a lot of good sites all around the country. A friend of mine came out with me for a couple of weeks and managed 200 so it's possible to do well in a short period of time. During those two weeks we went to three areas - the Goksu Delta (terrific wetland), Birecik (fantastic for eastern species) and the Taurus Mountains (very good for upland species). Let us know what specific plans and interests you have and I'll give you some more details.

Listening to Birds
Old Wednesday 28th April 2004, 08:34   #3
BobCesme
Bob the Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifebirder
Hi Bob,

I spent about 10 weeks birding in Turkey in 1996 (so things might have changed since then). This was between late March and early June. It's pretty fantastic for birds (I saw about 275 species) and there are a lot of good sites all around the country. A friend of mine came out with me for a couple of weeks and managed 200 so it's possible to do well in a short period of time. During those two weeks we went to three areas - the Goksu Delta (terrific wetland), Birecik (fantastic for eastern species) and the Taurus Mountains (very good for upland species). Let us know what specific plans and interests you have and I'll give you some more details.
One of my friends did mention the Goksu Delta,but 200 species in two weeks thats great,we are thinking of moving to the Alanya district in the near future,also looking for books on birding in Turkey,thanks again for the info.
Old Wednesday 28th April 2004, 09:04   #4
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening

Have a look on the Birdguides site bookshop for guides to Turkey:

http://www.birdguides.com/estore/browse.asp?cat=30

I think there have been quite a few books written on birding in Turkey. I found David Gosney's guides to be quite useful. There are obviously a lot of 'undiscovered' sites and I would think that every part of the country has a lot to offer. Migrants in particular tend to be found all the time everywhere in spring. It was very hard to go to any area of woodland in April without seeing quite a few Collared and Pied Flycatchers for instance. Along the Mediterranean coast many of the specialities are quite common in the right habitat - Cretzchmar's Bunting, Masked Shrike and Ruppell's Warbler in scrub, Kruper's Nuthatch in pine forests etc. Even a small wetland is likely to be productive but the Goksu Delta is simply one of the best places I've ever been birdwatching. As well as a vast array of typical east Mediterranean wetland species, there are birds like Marbled Duck, Black Francolin and Graceful Warbler. You really won't be lacking for birds to look at!

Listening to Birds
Old Wednesday 28th April 2004, 09:34   #5
BobCesme
Bob the Birder

Checking out Dave Gosneys'guide,I thought Northern Cyprus was good but this sounds brilliant,roll on retirement.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: