• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grunting/snorting sounds (1 Viewer)

Carless

Last night while in a local park, about 11:30pm, I heard some grunting noises coming from the bushes. Sounded mammalian, like a pig grunting and snorting but "smaller" and higher pitched, as you'd probably expect if you thought of a very small pig snorting and grunting.

Which animals are likely to make noises like these? Animals I've seen around in the park before are Foxes, rats, and badgers.

It sounds hideously like the sounds my wife claims I make when fast asleep! It's not me though as I was nowhere near the place, but I think a Hedgehog is a possibility,

Last night while in a local park, about 11:30pm, I heard some grunting noises coming from the bushes. Sounded mammalian, like a pig grunting and snorting but "smaller" and higher pitched, as you'd probably expect if you thought of a very small pig snorting and grunting.

Which animals are likely to make noises like these? Animals I've seen around in the park before are Foxes, rats, and badgers.

Sounds like a hedgehog - but should it be out at this time of year?

Sandra

I didn't think of hedgehogs, as we've never seen one in the park. I think I read somewhere that you don't tend to get hedgehogs and badgers together. I've seen one nearer our home, but nowhere near the park.

I have seen hedgehogs, and bats, out when they shouldn't be due to it being hibernation time. At the time, I was told that they will wake up from hibernation should they run short on food. But that if you see one, it's pretty much dead as it won't be able to find food and survive during the cold months.

I'm now thinking that a hedgehog in trouble is the most likely candidate.

Edit:
http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/hedgehog_care.html
Additionally, it should be noted that hedgehogs seen out and about at night during the winter are not necessarily a cause for concern. Hedgehogs will periodically rouse from hibernation and some may leave the hibernaculum to search for food or even build a new nest. Such hedgehogs should only be rescued if they appear sickly or moribund.

Last edited:
What sort of noise can a muntjac make ? They have been seen very close to Nottingham city centre in recent years, for example. Might it have been one of these ?

I would go for Hedgehog as I once heard similar snoring sounds coming from a pile of dead leaves.Further investigation revealed two Hedgehogs fast asleep.
After carefully recovering them with the leaves we went back in the spring to find they had both gone, so presume they survived the winter.

I would go for hedgehog too - the 'hog' bit of the name isn't accidental, and you said it sounded like a pig grunting.

What sort of noise can a muntjac make ? They have been seen very close to Nottingham city centre in recent years, for example. Might it have been one of these ?

I haven't seen any muntjac deer within the city boundaries. They are certain woods and open areas outside the city where they are found, and in one case we've seen one.

I've spent some time trying to track down hedgehog sounds. I think I heard some sniffing like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/species/European_Hedgehog, but it was mostly grunting. Which I can't seem to find online. I'm guessing it was a hedgehog temporarily roused from hibernation.

Boy, those hedgehogs on the arkive site are making some weird noises.

Hedgehogs do grunt, especially when they meet other Hedgehogs. My mum's garden used to be full of the sounds of fuzzypeg interaction of a summer's night.

Muntjac bark loudly and sharply. I haven't heard other noises from them, though I expect they have a range of vocalisations.

John

Well, White Wing Doves when happy or excited, grunt. πŸ’ž It’s adorable. If they had a microphone it would sound a bit like a piglet grunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back