Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 29th April 2004, 15:33   #1
nobby

Smile Great Tits Hatched

Just noticed 5 out of 7 chicks have hatched today in my Great Tit box. They are a bit hard to see from the still from my B&W cam but if you go to my web site you should be able to see them move.
Brett
http://uk.geocities.com/brett.oliver...m/nest_box.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicks.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	7955  
Old Thursday 29th April 2004, 17:25   #2
Bubbs

Nobby, Perhaps you could tell me why my GT's have just finished building in the nest box? is it because they have delayed due to the rotten weather in these parts - North Yorks. The male was calling to the female at about 1700 hrs today, with food in his bill, presumably to feed her. She was calling back within the box but never left it. Any answers why they are so late will be gratefully received.

JB.
Old Thursday 29th April 2004, 17:51   #3
pduxon
Quacked up Member

John - possibly a pair of young birds !?

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 29th April 2004, 17:52   #4
nobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barclay
Nobby, Perhaps you could tell me why my GT's have just finished building in the nest box? is it because they have delayed due to the rotten weather in these parts - North Yorks. The male was calling to the female at about 1700 hrs today, with food in his bill, presumably to feed her. She was calling back within the box but never left it. Any answers why they are so late will be gratefully received.

JB.
John
I'm not sure what triggers nest building it may be the weather. I presume the further South you go in the country the earliar nest building starts.

It may also be the availability of food. Nest building takes up a lot of the birds time so will only start each day when enough food is eaten to replenish energy lost from the previous night.

My garden slopes East down a valley and is on Chalk so the soil tends to warm up very quick in Spring. Perhaps this brings out the insect life early. I noticed that the Great Tits are feeding small grubs to their 1 day old chicks. If the chicks were born much earlier there may not have been suitable food available.

How does this compare to your Garden?
Can anyone give us dates of nest building/laying from up & down the country.
My Blue Tits started Nest Building 03/03 laying 11/04.
Great Tits started Nest Building 27/03 but started laying 09/04
Brett
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: