• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (2 Viewers)

Hello, found my thread down in the depths.
I've been kept busy but kept an eye on whats been happening here on BF.
Broke my own rule about doing pets this week, but was asked to do a mates old dog Jake for a surprise. I hope he likes it.
Now I'me free to get back to enjoying myself and get out sketching

Attachments

• L1020208.jpg
    L1020208.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 51
Nice to see Jake here, being a dog person! I'm certain your friend will like it. I have two 15-year old Labradors that I need to paint while they're still with us.

Thanks John & Ken
some sketches on practice paper
Jackdaw in paynes Grey, one below using white & black as well.
+ bird on a post

Attachments

• L1020362.jpg
    L1020362.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 53
  • L1020368.jpg
    L1020368.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 45
  • L1020371.jpg
    L1020371.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 57
Arthur,

You are like me. Wandering off without a chaperone, and a care in the World!;)
Glad you are having good Grandparenting!
But even gladder I've clocked these Jacks, and Rooks, and cock Pheasant!
Superb!
My favourite is the colour Rook.

That is Rook captured in Spirit!:t:B :)

Total celebration of the extraordinary in the ordinary, a man after my own heart! Just love the colours in the 'black' birds.

Mike

Now this is HOW to do black and whites! I'm very impressed ith your handling of the wings Arth. When working this way how do you manage the very fine fringes on the coverts, scaps etc? Do you use a extra fine-tipped brush or is there a lot more to it than that. I've recently picked up a brush for the first time properly and I'm eager to learn how to use it!

Cheers

Russ

Ta all,
Russ the whole sheet was painted using a no. 4 SAA kolinsky Sable Rigger
from the SAA £4.
To do the covert & scaps I turn the bird upside down load brush with colour, take the brush head through thumb and forefinger sqeezed together ending up with a flat roundhead. dabbing the brush on working towards me.varying pressure and the amount of colour needed.(trial and error)
You can also use that to put the shade lines and texture on the main feathers.
that sheet was alittle exercise for me.
I should add this is for water colour and Gouache.

Last edited:
A Mediterranean Gull in the Garden Today also sketch of a black Headed Gull

Attachments

• L1020375.jpg
    L1020375.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 39
  • L1020379.jpg
    L1020379.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 37
Many thanks for the tip, Arth. This sounds very easy...... I've learned that a no.4 is quite a small brush any how! No, seriously I'll try this. Never read about this in those mind numbingly dull 'how to' books.

Nice sketches, sir. What a garden you must have to get Med gull! Lovely flowing, flying BHG here, too.

Russ

Cheers Arthur - always fascinating to hear how other artists work - that's really enlightening.

Have to agree. And as usual I envy you all the birds of your garden. You take great advantage of them. Are you somewhat near water? I never think of seeing gulls in backyards or gardens, at least not inland where I live.

Arthur you don't have a garden, you have a nature reserve with a reputation for crackin' birds! Great sketches pointing out the similarities and the differences.

Mike

Ken I do live on the coast
As you know Mike Norfolk is a nature reserve.The only bird list I keep is
in the garden and seen from the garden. Looking at doing a colour version of the gulls side by side .
This beauty has been floating past my window for 8 years now,busy feeding the young ones at the moment.

Attachments

• L1020385.jpg
    L1020385.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 39
  • L1020383.jpg
    L1020383.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back