Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 17th January 2010, 12:53   #1
Sunshine68
Sunshine68

improving image quality

Looking for help in improving image quality. I had a Canon Digital Rebel 6.3MP dSLR that is now in forced retirement due to a broken shutter (hoping to forego repairs and upgrade to a Canon 50D in the near future). I utilized two different attachments to my Swaro AD80 HD scope (tube and sleeve as I call them). The tube allowed direct connection of cam body to scope body and the sleeve attached on to the cam 18-55mm lens and fit over the eyepiece of the scope and has a screw to secure it on.

I wondered if someone could offer some advice on how best to utilize this set up - or what I may do once I get a new digital SLR to increase quality of my images. I was on a Yahoo discussion group and one person pointed out "shutter slap" as a possible issue and focusing issues. I'm looking for how best to work after I get a new camera. I've seen spectacular digiscoped images and wondering how I can do the same.

here's an image taken late day in December of 2006 of an immature Black-crowned Night Heron in a friend's yard. This was taken with the tube attachment on a day with fading daylight. Second image is a subadult bald eagle taken with the sleeve attachment just this past fall. Conditions of the day were poor - heavily overcast and fading daylight. I can upload Exif data if that helps at all.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated - I'd like to have a better working knowledge of how to achieve better images before spring comes. If there are good resources to read, please suggest them. I will be looking through past threads.

Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7471ad1_filtered1sm.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	238366  Click image for larger version

Name:	CRW_2947_RJeagle.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	238367  

Last edited by Sunshine68 : Sunday 17th January 2010 at 12:59.
Old Sunday 17th January 2010, 15:05   #2
valy

Try to find a better lens. I assume that 18-55 is the kit one. Find a sharper and a faster lens, for example 50mm f/1.8 or something similar. Use the maximul iso possible to have a small exposure time and try to fix the tripod to avoid the shake of the body and scope. Use a flash or daylight. If you can, use mirror loock up or cable release. Use a solid tripod.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: