Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 17th January 2010, 19:39   #1
Peewit
Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover

Post Do Squirrels eat birds eggs?

Hi there

I would like to know if Squirrels are proven to eat bird eggs/young if given a chance to do so?

I have heard this and that over the years and would like to know what others think of the matter at hand.

Regards
Kathy
x

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 17th January 2010, 19:50   #2
Daniel Martin

Very much so - our squirrels destroyed two Dunnock nests for eggs last year and also killed young blackbirds in the nest.
I believe they are considered responsible for declines in hole/box nesting species as they chew in and eat whats inside.
Bad news all round Im afraid, and why they are often known as "tree rats".
A friend of mine traps and kills them in his suburban garden, and "got rid of" over 20 last year - but they keep coming back.............
Old Sunday 17th January 2010, 19:50   #3
acorn

Yes they do, my mums garden was a haven for nesting birds, and the grey squirrels soon put an end to that. My mum found it all very distressing.
Regards
Colin
Old Sunday 17th January 2010, 21:35   #4
karpman

Seen wholes bored out on bird boxes on my local and assumed it was them, Thanks for the confirmation.

Adding a metal ring around the whole of sorts keep them out or will they bore in another way sorry to go off topic.

karpman

Avid Birder With A Orible Lurcher
Old Sunday 17th January 2010, 22:11   #5
Reuven_M

I've read that red squirrels and chipmunks are the major nest predators (eggs and chicks) in the boreal forest.
Old Sunday 17th January 2010, 22:13   #6
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

You bet they do.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Monday 18th January 2010, 07:09   #7
bristolbirder

I'm sure they do sometimes but would like to point out that I have numerous species nesting in my garden every year along with daily squirrel visits and have never known one nest or fledgling to be attacked.

Just to keep things in perspective.

Steve
Old Monday 18th January 2010, 07:28   #8
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpman View Post
Seen wholes bored out on bird boxes on my local and assumed it was them, Thanks for the confirmation.

Adding a metal ring around the whole of sorts keep them out or will they bore in another way sorry to go off topic.

karpman
That would be great spotted woodpeckers and not squirrels at work, Karpman.

Graham

BF Supporter 2007
Old Monday 18th January 2010, 07:59   #9
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristolbirder View Post
I'm sure they do sometimes but would like to point out that I have numerous species nesting in my garden every year along with daily squirrel visits and have never known one nest or fledgling to be attacked.

Just to keep things in perspective.

Steve
Just to second that.

Also, despite having 8 Squirrels, 4+ Magpies, 3+ Carrion Crows, and 6 Jays, in my garden, it's the Jays that I see take young the most often. I've never seen a Crow or a Squirrel attacking or eating young, or eating eggs (Magpies are partial to Mice and juv Starlings).

Just another bit of "putting things in perspective".
Old Monday 18th January 2010, 08:55   #10
gradders52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewit View Post
Hi there

I would like to know if Squirrels are proven to eat bird eggs/young if given a chance to do so?

I have heard this and that over the years and would like to know what others think of the matter at hand.

Regards
Kathy
x
There's a report, after research, somewhere by one of the bird organisations that says Grey Squirrels in UK do not have an impact on bird life, despite what is often said. Might be BTO... I'll try and find the reference. That doesn't mean they don't take eggs and young birds (not sure it says they do) but Gt Spotted and other birds are equally 'at fault'. Think it all needs researching in more depth. Try a Google search... I'm a bit busy! :). On the same theme, Domestic Cats are another emotive issue...
Old Monday 18th January 2010, 09:10   #11
z-ben

Thousands of Greys have been shot over the years attempts to eliminate them all have failed miserably so it is something we all have to learn to live with. I do believe Jays are the biggest culprits when it comes to nest robbing.
Old Monday 18th January 2010, 09:20   #12
gradders52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradders52 View Post
There's a report, after research, somewhere by one of the bird organisations that says Grey Squirrels in UK do not have an impact on bird life, despite what is often said. Might be BTO... I'll try and find the reference. That doesn't mean they don't take eggs and young birds (not sure it says they do) but Gt Spotted and other birds are equally 'at fault'. Think it all needs researching in more depth. Try a Google search... I'm a bit busy! :–). On the same theme, Domestic Cats are another emotive issue...
I knew I'd seen something somewhere, it is on this forum!!! (brains and dangerous...).

see
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=160743

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth...00/8448807.stm

Grey squirrels do not have a significant impact on the populations of many of England's woodland bird species, a study has found.

Researchers from the British Trust for Ornithology and Natural England examined the impact of grey squirrels on 38 bird species across the country.
They found some evidence that grey squirrels may locally suppress the populations of some species.
But they do not appear to cause the birds any widespread or lasting harm.
The findings of the study, which contradict the view that grey squirrels have caused declines in British bird numbers over the past 40 years, are published in the Journal of Ornithology.

Last edited by gradders52 : Monday 18th January 2010 at 09:21. Reason: Add intro para for reference
Old Monday 18th January 2010, 15:21   #13
Monahawk

Seems this thread is aimed at the misdemeanours of those dastardly non native Grey Squirrels. Our cuddly, innocent little Red Squirrels are also partial to the odd egg or two aswell.
Old Monday 18th January 2010, 16:46   #14
fugl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahawk View Post
Seems this thread is aimed at the misdemeanours of those dastardly non native Grey Squirrels. Our cuddly, innocent little Red Squirrels are also partial to the odd egg or two aswell.
Stand back--here we go again!
BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Monday 18th January 2010, 17:05   #15
LabradorDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahawk View Post
Our cuddly, innocent little Red Squirrels are also partial to the odd egg or two aswell.
Which is probably an important factor in the conclusion that grey squirrels aren't a significant threat to birdlife: they don't act much different than their native relatives with regards to taking eggs (though with their habitat differences, I could believe it if someone found that the greys were raiding species that didn't ever deal with reds).

Here in the States, grey and fox squirrels are known to take eggs sometimes, but I get the impression that our red squirrels (different genus than grey, fox, or Eurasian red squirrels) have much more of an appetite for eggs and chicks, as well as taking over cavity nests. These guys aren't nearly as widespread in cities and towns, though.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: