Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 27th February 2010, 22:06   #51
Sancho
Registered User
 
Sancho's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Purcell View Post
I find my 65FL and Baader is warmer rather than yellow but it's not "blue white".

Care to say more, Sancho?
When I compare my Zeiss ep´s to the Baaders, the Baaders don´t appear to have a yellow cast in comparison. But when I compare the Baaders to the naked eye, looking at whitish cloud on the horizon, for example, the view does appear to have a slight yellowish cast, but not as pronounced as the Zeiss ep´s. It doesn´t bother me, and maybe you´re right, "warmer" might be a better description. I´ll check again tomorrow.
Sancho is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 28th February 2010, 17:33   #52
Kevin Purcell
Registered User
 
Kevin Purcell's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
When I compare my Zeiss ep´s to the Baaders, the Baaders don´t appear to have a yellow cast in comparison. But when I compare the Baaders to the naked eye, looking at whitish cloud on the horizon, for example, the view does appear to have a slight yellowish cast, but not as pronounced as the Zeiss ep´s. It doesn´t bother me, and maybe you´re right, "warmer" might be a better description. I´ll check again tomorrow.
That's about what I see in my non-LT 65FL. Warmer with the Baader and more to yellowish with a non-LT Vario.

In fact this is what I though you said originally ... that's why I was a bit surprised. Probably just biased by my own view.
Kevin Purcell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 28th February 2010, 17:58   #53
Sancho
Registered User
 
Sancho's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Purcell View Post
That's about what I see in my non-LT 65FL. Warmer with the Baader and more to yellowish with a non-LT Vario.

In fact this is what I though you said originally ... that's why I was a bit surprised. Probably just biased by my own view.
It probably is what I said originally, Kevin. I can´t seem to keep a solid, consistent opinion on anything. BTW, my Zeiss is non-lotutec too, in 85mm. Although the 40xw is a lovely ep, the more I use the Baader zoom, the more I like it and consider it my "default" eyepiece. The 40xw is handy to keep in the kit-bag in case it rains, though, as the Baader isn´t waterproof. (I don´t know really to what extent heavy rain would damage it...probably not at all). Anyway, as regards the new Zeiss scopes, I don´t think they´re for me, I´m really getting used to the Diascope and learning to like it a lot.
Sancho is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st March 2010, 01:14   #54
KorHaan
Forum Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,235
Hm...

It closely resembles my old Nikon Spotter XL 16-47x60.
That was a very good piece of kit, unfortunately as an eyeglass wearer for me the ocular was wrong; no twist-in-twist-out eyecup, not even a rubber fold down one.
It gave me a bit of a tunnel view, especially at higher mags.

I was quite fond of the focuser being on the ocular end, didn't need a panhandle on my tripod head.
I'd like to see more pictures from all sides of this supposedly new Zeiss.
April 1 makes me a bit suspicious.

Regards,

Ronald
KorHaan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 30th March 2010, 02:21   #55
raymondjohn
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 113
Dear all

It must be nearly time for the sale of the new diascopes. Any reviews will be gratefully read as I am hopefully going to be a purchaser in the future.

Yours

Raymondjohn
raymondjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 30th March 2010, 20:42   #56
Bitterroot Birds
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 45
I am also very interested in the new Zeiss Vario eyepiece. I would think that any major optical system changes (of the body) would be heralded on the website, but I find that they only mention of improved stray-light control. Could the heavier listed weight could be primarily a result of the addition of full rubber armoring?

I wonder if current Diascope owners, like myself, could reap most of the benefits of the new system by purchasing the new eyepiece (as mentioned in earlier posts).

I would like a higher top-end magnification with my Diascope 65.

I will have to wait and see...
Bitterroot Birds is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:50   #57
John Russell
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cologne
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterroot Birds View Post
I would think that any major optical system changes (of the body) would be heralded on the website, but I find that they only mention of improved stray-light control.
I spoke to my dealer on the 'phone the other day (he had just sold my Zeiss Conquest on commission) and asked him about the new DiaScopes. He said that despite retaining the focal lengths of the old Diascopes, they had been optically redesigned and were now the market leaders.
As far as I am concerned, the bomb is now ticking but I will wait a few months for any teething troubles to be sorted out and then do an extensive comparison with the Swaro ATMs before taking the plunge.
Personally, I regret the lack of a WA option below 30x/40x. The latter is much too high for general use, although with the Diascopes one does have the possibility of using astro eyepieces.

John
John Russell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 31st March 2010, 12:52   #58
AlbertoJ
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 79
Does anyone know about new Zeiss price in Europe?

Prices in USA are :
85 FL body: $ 2400.
65 FL body: $ 1900.

http://www.zeiss.com/C12568CF0020629...Price_List.pdf

Last edited by AlbertoJ : Wednesday 31st March 2010 at 12:55.
AlbertoJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 31st March 2010, 19:27   #59
jgraider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,056
At those prices one would have to ask himself why choose the new Zeiss over the Kowa Prominar 883/884?
jgraider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 1st April 2010, 01:21   #60
AlbertoJ
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
At those prices one would have to ask himself why choose the new Zeiss over the Kowa Prominar 883/884?
We don´t know about optical performance of new Zeiss and eyepieces compared to Kowa 883/884.
Kowa´s price is $ 2310, almost the same as Zeiss.

Zeiss has an important advantage over Kowa : can use Astronomy eyepieces.
AlbertoJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 1st April 2010, 20:47   #61
Vámibimbero
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 26
Dear all,

At www.orniwelt.de the new scopes from Zeiss are available. Price for 65 mm bodies: 1745 EUR, 85 mm bodies: 2295 EUR, 30/40x fixed ocular: 365 EUR, 15-45/20-60 ocular: 565 EUR, new megazoom 20-75x: 695 EUR, ever-ready case 175 EUR. Other shops offer the older modells in better price than before.

By the way, I am very intrested to read a comparative test about the new and old Zeiss modells or even an exhaustive test from the new modell. Today price is important and Zeiss have the chance to make a huge step forward.

Best regards

Vámi

Last edited by Vámibimbero : Friday 2nd April 2010 at 18:39.
Vámibimbero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 1st April 2010, 22:05   #62
jgraider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,056
They will need to make a huge step forward just to compete well with the Kowa.
jgraider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 30th April 2010, 21:52   #63
garry1366
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beverley
Posts: 888
Are they out yet? Anyone seen one?

G
garry1366 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 5th May 2010, 17:01   #64
ingle1970
Registered User
 
ingle1970's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: GB
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1366 View Post
Are they out yet? Anyone seen one?

G
yep, available now, if your feeling rich ...

http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/new-zeiss-d...-85-i3117.html
__________________


'You have rightly chosen,' said God, 'for in my garden of Paradise this little bird shall sing for evermore, and in my city of gold the Happy Prince shall praise me'.
ingle1970 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 5th May 2010, 17:56   #65
Chris Galvin
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 840
@garry1366

I tried both of them over the Bank Holiday whilst at an optics event in Sweden. I found both to be very sharp but I just could not get on with the geared focus wheel. I found it difficult to use and took several efforts to get birds pin sharp. Fortunately it was T-shirt weather because if I had been wearing gloves I'd have got very frustrated with it. I can't understand what is wrong with the twin focus wheel that Zeiss and others have used in the past.

But it may just be me :-)
__________________
Chris Galvin
Opticron
Chris Galvin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 6th May 2010, 00:43   #66
garry1366
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beverley
Posts: 888
Thanks Ingle, I am rich, relatively!


Chris, I only ever use the slow focus wheel on my current zeiss 65 never found the need to use the rapid one yet. Interested how this will translate to the new mechanism

G
garry1366 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 6th May 2010, 09:28   #67
mak
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Galvin View Post
@garry1366

I tried both of them over the Bank Holiday whilst at an optics event in Sweden. I found both to be very sharp but I just could not get on with the geared focus wheel. I found it difficult to use and took several efforts to get birds pin sharp. Fortunately it was T-shirt weather because if I had been wearing gloves I'd have got very frustrated with it. I can't understand what is wrong with the twin focus wheel that Zeiss and others have used in the past.

But it may just be me :-)
Chris.

Is there a particular manufacturer, where everything is easy to use!!!!!!
A close friend of yours and fellow BF member tried it and within 5 minutes found it very easy to use, so yes maybe it was just you.

mak

Last edited by mak : Thursday 6th May 2010 at 09:36.
mak is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 6th May 2010, 14:46   #68
albatrosviajero
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: spain
Posts: 197
Hello,

The new megazoom is OK for the old Diascopes? What magnification with the 65 and the 85?

Thanks,
Albatros
albatrosviajero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 6th May 2010, 21:21   #69
garry1366
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beverley
Posts: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrosviajero View Post
Hello,

The new megazoom is OK for the old Diascopes? What magnification with the 65 and the 85?

Thanks,
Albatros
15-56 and 20-75 I believe

G
garry1366 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 16th June 2010, 07:58   #70
zone8848
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: nottingham
Posts: 54
after quite some time of being out of stock, I just noticed the new diascopes are avaliable at eagleoptics, both the 65mm and 85mm versions, and pretty cheap compared with the new Leica and swarovski, with that kind of price, there is even no need to get old Zeiss diascopes any more, I just hate the yellowish cast... doesn't feel like a zeiss view at all.
zone8848 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 16th June 2010, 10:07   #71
mooreorless
Registered User
 
mooreorless's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntingdon,Pa.
Posts: 3,393
I notice the Zeiss Victory PhotoScope 85 is pretty cheap.;-)
mooreorless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 16th June 2010, 20:32   #72
Kevin Purcell
Registered User
 
Kevin Purcell's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by zone8848 View Post
after quite some time of being out of stock, I just noticed the new diascopes are avaliable at eagleoptics, both the 65mm and 85mm versions, and pretty cheap compared with the new Leica and swarovski, with that kind of price, there is even no need to get old Zeiss diascopes any more, I just hate the yellowish cast... doesn't feel like a zeiss view at all.
Pretty cheap? The new 85FL is $2400 (no EP). The 65FL is $1900.

This must be a new usage of the word "cheap" that I'm not familiar with

http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/zeiss

You're not confusing the new scopes with the previous models closeouts/demos at EO?

They still have "old" 85FL lotutec demos for $1269 and the "old" 65FL lotutec (new stock) for $1250.

Which is cheap for the 85FL (especially given the prices of the other top scopes). A rather good deal especially if you team it with the Hyperion zoom for $215.
Kevin Purcell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 17th June 2010, 03:29   #73
zone8848
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: nottingham
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Purcell View Post
Pretty cheap? The new 85FL is $2400 (no EP). The 65FL is $1900.

This must be a new usage of the word "cheap" that I'm not familiar with

http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/zeiss

You're not confusing the new scopes with the previous models closeouts/demos at EO?

They still have "old" 85FL lotutec demos for $1269 and the "old" 65FL lotutec (new stock) for $1250.

Which is cheap for the 85FL (especially given the prices of the other top scopes). A rather good deal especially if you team it with the Hyperion zoom for $215.
actually from the photo i thought the EP is included, but seems it's the price for body only, as on further checking the INCLUDED tab, EP is not mentioned,still not sure it's included or not, if included then it's the best choice, but if not, with a $700 eyepiece, the new zeiss diascope is not that good a choice for birders.
zone8848 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 17th June 2010, 03:33   #74
Kevin Purcell
Registered User
 
Kevin Purcell's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,778
The EP is not included -- they're body only prices.
Kevin Purcell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 30th June 2010, 13:55   #75
Hermann
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,674
The really interesting question is how good these scopes are. The Kowa 883 is the scope to beat (or at least to equal), and that's pretty difficult I reckon.

However, if they're optically at least a bit better than a cherry Nikon ED III and a cherry Nikon 82, I'll have a very close look at the 65mm. I don't think I'll ever want to carry one of those 85 mm monsters again, but a really good 65 mm with the new vario might well make me put my trusty old Nikon ED III in the cupboard.

Hermann
Hermann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ed spotting scopes peter5 Spotting Scopes & tripod/heads 11 Thursday 29th October 2009 17:00
spotting scopes mikethehat Information Wanted 4 Friday 28th November 2008 11:00
Finder scopes on spotting scopes? Cyclops Nikon 51 Wednesday 17th October 2007 22:04
Spotting Scopes The Stokoes' Zeiss 5 Thursday 13th July 2006 21:04
Spotting scopes Al Streit Tips For New Birders 3 Tuesday 6th May 2003 21:47



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.25472307 seconds with 35 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:27.