Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 21st January 2010, 01:01   #1
Charlie600
Shutter Bug

Do ducks have teeth?

I had the opportunity to photograph Long-tailed Ducks last weekend and quite a few of the shots I took showed what appeared to be well defined tooth like structures. I spent a lot of time this week on the web trying to educate myself. I found a number of references to lamellae - hair like structures and Pecten - comb like structures. Function was related to preening and filtering food. The information I found was rather sketchy and vague and I am still having a hard time getting my head around this observation. The "teeth" on these birds don't look like they would be much use for filtering. If I am correct, these birds include eels and fish in their diet. It seems that the structure would function more for gripping than filtering. I would appreciate comments and references to information. It would be really interesting to hear from someone who has actually handled one of these ducks. Are the lamellae as sharp and as hard as they look in the photo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	097F100116E1119-2.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	239036  
BF Supporter 2009 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Thursday 21st January 2010, 01:33   #2
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

No not teeth but the inside of their bills has severed edges to grab bugs and underwater weed in the water. Would be nice to see a wide grin from them though

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Thursday 21st January 2010, 02:56   #3
fugl

No duck has “true teeth”, of course, though some have specialized adaptations for filtering (e.g., shovelers) or for the gripping of large slippery prey (e.g., mergansers). I just looked up LT Duck on BNA-online, but found no reference to “lamellae” or “teeth” except a bare mention of the former in connection with the bill of the duckling. According to BNA, LT Ducks have a varied diet including small prey of various kinds as well as fish & mollusks, so either of the suggested functions—filtering or gripping—would seem to be a possibility.

Anyway, very interesting photo. Thanks for posting it. With luck someone will come along with definite information about the function of the “teeth”.

Last edited by fugl : Thursday 21st January 2010 at 03:07.
BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Thursday 21st January 2010, 06:02   #4
Fozzybear
Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter

I saw this on Mallards when I photographed them some time ago - can be quite bizarre when you see them at first! Here's a close view:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulforsdick/3280954359/

I guess that it's to help them tear off and rip up vegetation since a smooth bill wouldn't give them that good a grip on the wet weeds they often eat.
Old Thursday 21st January 2010, 19:43   #5
Jabberwocky

Here's a shot of a Goosander (common merganser) I got last year. Shame its not quite in focus but you can see why they're called sawbils.

Lewis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	168-goosander.jpg
Views:	1229
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	239115  
Old Thursday 21st January 2010, 20:22   #6
Fozzybear
Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter

Yes it really is very clear on Goosanders, I'd noticed that on the ones I see here too.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: