Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.67 average.
Old Saturday 30th January 2010, 18:26   #1
username

'Images'

Despite having much trepidation about starting such a new thread amongst such great wildlife artists...i thought...[eventually]...well why not..?
I am sure that it will be not to everyone's taste but is meant to be playful and perhaps thought provoking....[yes...you will probably think..'why does he bother]...
My inspiration comes from the natural world...[believe it or not]!...and i have always possessed an endless fascination for textures and composition...whether that comes from geological forms or clouds...or...[well..basically anything that attracts my eye]...!

So here goes nothing....

Last night i became focused on 'owls' and i post an original pic of mine from many years ago...[a normal picture]... The other images are my photo compositions distilled from natural forms that i have collected....[and then put thru the blender which is the 'evil' photoshop].....just for fun...just to see what images can be created....

ps....perhaps other fun-minded folk might care to dabble in the dark arts of image alchemy....or maybe not....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	240420  Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	240421  Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	240422  Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	240423  Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	240424  

Old Saturday 30th January 2010, 21:03   #2
timwootton

Magical !
Are these all derivatons from the original painting?
Fabulous.
Old Saturday 30th January 2010, 22:17   #3
username

Only the snowy owl is original artwork Tim.....[this artwork was stolen long time passed...it was a large pastel work...and now i only have photo's of that piece...and they don't show the detail that was in original].

The 'bizarre' images are a combination of found weathered wood...combined with other 'items'! The 'owl-like' face is...in fact...the inside of an actual 'nut' split in half which i found whilst out in the countryside...!
I combine the materials...[as in a studio]...and 'light' the scene...and have fun..

With the 'owl-like' images i just attempted to create a 'feel'...gothic..ghostly...etc...[such feelings that ill-informed folk had about these creatures in the past]....
Old Sunday 31st January 2010, 21:12   #4
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post

The other images are my photo compositions distilled from natural forms that i have collected....[and then put thru the blender which is the 'evil' photoshop].....just for fun...just to see what images can be created....

(:
I think they look fantastic- especially collected together as a four like that

"fresco" is worth a whirl (or whizz) when next you crank up the p'shop blender- but maybe its already one of your weapons of choice

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 31st January 2010, 21:23   #5
username

Cheers Ed.....! I think they make an interesting combination too...[i would wouldn't i]..?

Today me and my mate 'went a birding' over to Frampton Marshes in Lincs today. I couldn't resist 'capturing a few of the images of iced water...[please note that these pics aren't 'tinkered with' apart from slightly darkening the images]....! The second 'one' almost has an oil painting quality about it...

ps...had great day out...my 'fav'..male hen harrier...plus excellent views of twite..snow bunt and lapland buntings and the awesome visual treats of masses of Brents flying over....

pps...oh...and i also collected an 'interesting' piece of wood...[might come in handy at some point]....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	240703  Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	240704  Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	240705  Click image for larger version

Views:	175
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	240706  
Old Monday 1st February 2010, 14:04   #6
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

User - you should be thoroughly ashamed! .......* for not having come here and posting earlier - these are wonderfully creative, things you see become your plaything and you find so much surprise in there - I would love to have the guts to be this creative! Love it!

*look! I did dots!
Old Monday 1st February 2010, 14:19   #7
timwootton

. . . . . dots are the new black, don't ya know . . . .
Love these, User - I like to think I can appreciate photography as an art-form - and a camera really starts to work as a creative tool when in the hands of a painter (a painter being someone who sees in colour, as far as I'm concerned). Tip-top.
. . . . .
Old Monday 1st February 2010, 18:55   #8
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
User - you should be thoroughly ashamed! .......* for not having come here and posting earlier - these are wonderfully creative, things you see become your plaything and you find so much surprise in there - I would love to have the guts to be this creative! Love it!

*look! I did dots!
[chuckle]...!! I know i should be ashamed Nick...but...as folk who know me well...i have always been 'shameless'...

I must admit....i was quite nervous posting my 'images' as i was unsure of the reaction [as it seems 'out of place' somewhat]?...especially when surrounded by so many talented wildlife artists.
Tis great to get the positive responses from you folks...and i find it very refreshing that me using photographic and other playful techniques does not offend certain sensibilities...[which i have found in the past]!

So...[having said all that]....'beware'.....there will be endless experimental images winging there way onto you're screens if i get carried away again...[which i undoubtedly will]... Cheers....

ps..Tim...i have noticed that the 'dot-virus' seems to be contagious....[chuckle]...!

Last edited by username : Monday 1st February 2010 at 18:59.
Old Monday 1st February 2010, 19:06   #9
Apodemus

I always.......suspected......that you had an artistic streak.....and now you've started posting don't just ................ stop! I love both these sets.
Old Monday 1st February 2010, 19:44   #10
Andrew H

......?
Old Monday 1st February 2010, 21:04   #11
birdboybowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
......?
Not sure if that's a serious q, or not. If not, User's quite 'dotty' (to say the least!) with his wording
User keep those images a-coming!

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st February 2010, 22:48   #12
username

Dots to one side......here's just a quicky...[so to speak]...and an example of an image i found...

[Sort of fits in with my earlier 'owl' theme...and is just a bit of a coincidence]...

Earlier tonight, on my desk, the lighting caught the underside of my battered old cigarette tin....i hadn't noticed the image before....the attached image is the result....

ps....i added one small white 'dot' to this pic.....

pps...the image works better against a dark background of some kind as the light source diffuses onto the right hand side...[and if i was better at computer wizardry i'd fix that....!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	240962  

Last edited by username : Monday 1st February 2010 at 22:55.
Old Monday 1st February 2010, 23:14   #13
birdboybowley

Good eyes mate...looks like it's flying into a thick evergreen forest...v atmospheric

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 00:07   #14
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
Good eyes mate...looks like it's flying into a thick evergreen forest...v atmospheric
Yeah...it's quite a wacky thing i reckon Ads....but that 'bleeding' white on the right of image doesn't sit well with my senses....looked fine on my pc beforehand....[oh for a dark background to encapsulate]...!

ps...Apodemus.....am pleased you like my visual stuff..!
Despite not originating from Bohemia...i do...[however]...seem to possess Bohemian 'tendencies' it must be said......[you must have picked up on this...obviously]..!

pps...AndrewH.....? [chuckle]..!
Old Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 08:18   #15
timwootton

Lovely - looks to have a burnished quality. I wonder how you could transpose this type of textural image to act as a base for perhaps a painted image? Or maybe, a fully worked up digital piece - possiblilities are vast.
And with apologies - does this help at all?. . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	009new.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	240982  
Old Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 09:44   #16
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Yeah...it's quite a wacky thing i reckon Ads....but that 'bleeding' white on the right of image doesn't sit well with my senses....looked fine on my pc beforehand....[oh for a dark background to encapsulate]...!

ps...Apodemus.....am pleased you like my visual stuff..!
Despite not originating from Bohemia...i do...[however]...seem to possess Bohemian 'tendencies' it must be said......[you must have picked up on this...obviously]..!

pps...AndrewH.....? [chuckle]..!
More brill. I guess you want to keep the bright white on the right, to convey that flying-from-the-light atmosphere? Otherwise you could staunch the bleed by selecting and taking the white down by -10 notches or so.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 12:01   #17
username

Tim.....yes...i agree the possibilities are endless with such an image...and thanks for putting black border on! Tis still not 'right' yet to my eyes....[i may faff around with it later but...as usual..i have been creating 'new stuff'].
It has crossed my mind that i could..actually...render any of my 'stuff' using conventional mediums...oil paint etc. I am tempted to get me old 'brushes n colours out'...tho don't know now if i'd remember which way round to hold a brush! Such is the absorbing nature of this computer rendering 'tool'..! [yes...i know...i sold my soul to the devil a long time ago]..
Actually...talking about the effects of PC's on the human psyche...[which i seem to be]!...i remember i did an 'actual-real' picture ...many moons ago reflecting the effect...[hhmmm...will dig it out perhaps and post later]...nothing to do with wildlife art tho....[great...no rules]...!

Okay...am gonna have a look at some of my diabolic computer tinkerings of late last night to see if they hold up to the 'new day...new eyes'...[think i was still on the 'owl' thing]....
Old Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 12:56   #18
nickderry

exciting image - love it, the owl is exactly as it should be, a sort of alchemy between itself, the sky and the branches.
Old Tuesday 2nd February 2010, 13:17   #19
username

Quote:
exciting image - love it, the owl is exactly as it should be, a sort of alchemy between itself, the sky and the branches.
Quite bizarre how...[having seen the inside of my baccy tin many times]..tho i knew there was a whitish 'smudge' of some sorts on the brassy inside of lid...it was only by chance..positioning of light etc...that it caught my eye...[maybe it was because i was in the 'owl-zone]? More like the twilight zone eh...?

I attach a few of last night's 'ventures' continuing with the 'night-bird' theme...
...first image is more simplistic and is really just me admiring the textures of stone....[have collected many 'pieces' from all round the world to remind me of the fantastic complexities within the geological landscape]...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	241007  Click image for larger version

Name:	009 (3).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	241008  Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	241009  Click image for larger version

Views:	154
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	241010  
Old Wednesday 3rd February 2010, 21:53   #20
timwootton

Top quality illustration, mate - clear to see where the creativity comes from. These are fascinating pieces, they really are.
Old Wednesday 3rd February 2010, 23:15   #21
nickderry

superbly mysterious and attention catching.
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 00:30   #22
username

Forgive me if i woffle and 'drift' a bit on this post...but as i have just returned from.......i may be even less 'clear' than usual..

I was discussing with a birdy mate, albeit briefly, down the boozer...[about 'art' in all it's many forms]...and it is a strange 'thing'...these..[whatever they are]...computer 'enhanced' visuals...
Now i used to dabble in oils..[pastels etc]...and i admired, at an early age, the works by 'true' masters in the art world...ie....Chagall...Francis Bacon...[who's pub i used to frequent in Soho at one point...tho i never met him unfortunately]. Now what would such artists make of the artistic 'tools' now available to many folk....spawned by computers..?
I guess that Warhol would have had few reservations....[and while i'm in 'woffle mode'...i might as well come clean about being a huge Velvet Underground fiend]...

Okay...alcohol fueled 'musings' over....time for transitions.....

ps....computer 'sculpted' from a pic i took of a tree....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	241226  
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 01:01   #23
nickderry

ooooh! Spaghetti trees! I'm really enjoying these.

As for using technology available, I suppose that it's all valid - for example, if I do a picture where I like the composition, but do a naff paint job on it, I often use tracing paper to transfer the composition to another piece of paper to start again, but would it be wrong for example to take a quick photo of it and use a digital projector to transfer it?

Wonder how much they cost?
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 01:06   #24
nickderry

Quote:

over 1000 euros - I'll just have to learn to draw better!
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 01:18   #25
username

Quote:
ooooh! Spaghetti trees! I'm really enjoying these.

As for using technology available, I suppose that it's all valid - for example, if I do a picture where I like the composition, but do a naff paint job on it, I often use tracing paper to transfer the composition to another piece of paper to start again, but would it be wrong for example to take a quick photo of it and use a digital projector to transfer it?

'Spaghetti trees'?.....like it...

Trying to be 'ever so slightly' serious in a semi-intoxicated state....it is actually interesting what you say about transferring compositions...'rights n wrongs' as you say....using photo's etc...
Now i know of many...few..?...artists who use such techno-aids in order to reach the required 'settled' composition. Of course 'early masters' never had the 'tools' that are available to us now....but that was then..things move on.
I suppose what remains is the 'eye of the beholder'....

ps....as i'm slightly 'gone' i'll stick a few more images up...[i will probably regret it in the morning]...

pps...one pic is 'the' tree i morphed the last 'owl...but not an owl' pic from in last post....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	241227  Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	241228  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread