Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.67 average.
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 08:20   #26
timwootton

A very textural crack willow - showing where it got its name from and a superbly evocative Munchian treescape. I could see this image sitting nicely on a gallery wall somewhere.
Regarding ''Masters' '' use of technology - there's no doubt some would have used all that was available. Grids have been used for hundreds of years as a mechanical aid to drawing, and tracing has its roots way back. As for computers; of course they'd have been used - I mean, Leonardo the greatest of them all (?) would not only have embraced the technology, he'd probably have been the one to have invented it!
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 10:41   #27
username

Munchian indeed Tim....[i can almost hear the 'scream']..! Wonderful trees crack willows...i find all natural forms inspiring as i walk about my local patch. To tell you the truth...owing to the paucity of birds at times in my area...it's no wonder my attentions are diverted elsewhere!

Of note...the pic..[taken with my trusty/ever-handy mobile phone]!..next to the willow..[the Van Gogh-ish spaghetti trees] is a potential visual aid for an encounter i had with a peregrine other day.

Whilst in the field i noticed a slightly un-natural 'twitch' within a flock of woodpigeons on a distant horizon. Now to a birder...this was the equivalent...[using a fishing analogy]...of suspecting a 'bite' having observed your 'float' bobbing suspiciously on the water! To cut a long rambling story short...[and seeing as i cannot write like J.A Baker]....a peregrine then caused the pigeons to burst into a swirl of panic. Perhaps i will combine my spaghetti image with this enigmatic falcon at a later date....[i may even use paint']

Here's another quick 'morph'....original colour pencil work o mine...then put thru photoshop blender to see what compositions/textures appeared etc....[in other words...buggering about]...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	241248  Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	241249  

Last edited by username : Thursday 4th February 2010 at 10:59.
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 14:22   #28
username

Latest owl explorations....a morph in progress...

ps...when i eventually went kip last night a male tawny owls melancholy hooting serenaded me to sleep.....

pps...[and no...before someone is tempted to say it]....the owl was not inside my flat on the end o me bed...i think he was parked on a neighbors roof...

ppps....these pics originate as did the first 'lot' i posted....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	owl 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	241280  Click image for larger version

Name:	owl 2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	241281  Click image for larger version

Name:	owl 3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	241282  
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 14:26   #29
timwootton

Superb l-t s - a wonderful bird painted so that mixture of delicacy and power comes through. I like the morph, too - but, as a skua fan, the original has such a lot going for it. Fabulous.
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 14:36   #30
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
Superb l-t s - a wonderful bird painted so that mixture of delicacy and power comes through. I like the morph, too - but, as a skua fan, the original has such a lot going for it. Fabulous.
I'm a huge skua fan myself Tim.....i did the Hebs once in Maytime to witness their spectacular northwards migration....[very treasured memories]!

I agree on 'morph v original' of the skua pic....what fascinated me more...rather than the actual subject of LTS..was the way 'the process' transformed and animated the textures within the waters.

ps....i think that a dipper or a forktail would perhaps be more suitable against the turbulent morph waterfall effect....
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 14:58   #31
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

I see these as book covers, eye-catching and intriguing. The skua is a gem, unconventional composition that is just full of energy and excitement, and the morph is interesting too. Yes, I could see a dipper fitting well into that scene too.
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 16:25   #32
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
I see these as book covers, eye-catching and intriguing. The skua is a gem, unconventional composition that is just full of energy and excitement, and the morph is interesting too. Yes, I could see a dipper fitting well into that scene too.
Book covers perhaps....or maybe an 'owl calendar' for the visually fixated...[and possibly quite demented]..

ps...as an antidote for all the morphing movement images....i thought...[for some reason]...that i'd just mix it up a bit and just attach a couple of, hopefully, more relaxing photo's that literally reflect my fascination with water and movement.....[yadda yadda and so forth]....

pps...as a self designated spokesperson for 'Pondlife International'....i would just like to say that i can't wait until spring arrives when dragonflies will once more grace the air...[having been aquatic creatures for so long].....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tadpole-web.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	241320  Click image for larger version

Name:	tadpoles-web.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	241321  
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 18:01   #33
nickderry

I think I'll have to make it a resolution of mine to 'get lost' in these sort of scenes when I'm out a bit more often. So much abstraction and form that is just ignored (me being very guilty of this - but I'm terrified of frogs, so I've an excuse!) Particularly enjoy watching the shadows of surface tension.
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 18:11   #34
timwootton

Bit of a herpophile meself, User - did a lot of work with Drs. Rob Oldham & Mary Swan @ Leicester Poly many years ago (GCnewts). I don't get to see many amphibs up here unfortunately. These images strike a chord - cheers.
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 18:17   #35
username

Quote:
I think I'll have to make it a resolution of mine to 'get lost' in these sort of scenes when I'm out a bit more often. So much abstraction and form that is just ignored (me being very guilty of this - but I'm terrified of frogs, so I've an excuse!) Particularly enjoy watching the shadows of surface tension.
It is amazing what images lurk within and beneath surfaces when you take the time. It may be because i am particularly fond...especially in the summer...of observing dragonflies and all manner of bizarre insects...that i 'zone in' on these 'little universes'...and they are really 'other' worlds....!

ps...you will have to get over your 'frog phobia' Nick...do you have the same feelings about snakes...?...[not that that's important or in anyway relevant]....
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 18:24   #36
nickderry

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
It is amazing what images lurk within and beneath surfaces when you take the time. It may be because i am particularly fond...especially in the summer...of observing dragonflies and all manner of bizarre insects...that i 'zone in' on these 'little universes'...and they are really 'other' worlds....!

ps...you will have to get over your 'frog phobia' Nick...do you have the same feelings about snakes...?...[not that that's important or in anyway relevant]....
No, it's just frogs, snakes I love. Well, frogs I love too, just can't go too near them, and it's just frogs over about an inch long. Big toads and small frogs are no problem, green frogs scare the heeby jeebies out of me and common frogs are the devil. Perhaps it's odd, but I also have a phobia of small plastic gifts in Kinder Surprises and cornflakes.

apart from that, I can assure you I'm quite normal!
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 18:44   #37
username

Quote:
No, it's just frogs, snakes I love. Well, frogs I love too, just can't go too near them, and it's just frogs over about an inch long. Big toads and small frogs are no problem, green frogs scare the heeby jeebies out of me and common frogs are the devil. Perhaps it's odd, but I also have a phobia of small plastic gifts in Kinder Surprises and cornflakes.

apart from that, I can assure you I'm quite normal!
...that made me laugh...obviously...[hence the giggling bouncy grape icon]..!

Actually...you have just given me an idea on what i'll 'play with' next...and as Tim is a herpophile...[is that strictly legal]?...i'm sure he won't object!

I am ridiculously attracted towards snakes and have been all my life...[have seen some incredible species in various parts of the world but have never seen an 'eye-lash viper'...[i think that's what it's called]...? One day maybe!
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 18:55   #38
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Book covers perhaps....or maybe an 'owl calendar' for the visually fixated...[and possibly quite demented]..

ps...as an antidote for all the morphing movement images....i thought...[for some reason]...that i'd just mix it up a bit and just attach a couple of, hopefully, more relaxing photo's that literally reflect my fascination with water and movement.....[yadda yadda and so forth]....

pps...as a self designated spokesperson for 'Pondlife International'....i would just like to say that i can't wait until spring arrives when dragonflies will once more grace the air...[having been aquatic creatures for so long].....
The one on the left is particularly striking.

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 19:52   #39
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaryVSong View Post
The one on the left is particularly striking.
Yes...thank you SV..it is a favorite of mine...and no need to 'tamper' with..

Okay..now for a quick quiz....[please don't all yawn at once]...!

The attached image has not been distorted by me in any way...[i took it a whiles back now]....any guesses as to species.....?

ps...[a clue]...it's not a frog..bird...or anything you might find in a Kinder egg..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	006 - Copy.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	241376  
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 19:58   #40
nickderry

I can see something sort of dolphinesque in there.
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 19:59   #41
solitaryVSong

My first thought was Mayan sculpture, but what is it doing underwater?

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 20:08   #42
username

Okay...i did say that this was a quick quiz....another clue....

ps...'Birdyboy' Ads was interested in seeing these creatures....so i happened to have been digging around thru some of my foreign travel 'stuff'.....and saw that my photos needed 'work' doing to them!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	007 - Copy.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	241380  
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 20:50   #43
timwootton

Ooo shark! - But I've no idea on species.
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 20:57   #44
username

Well i could give another clue with a line from 'that' film....

"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat".....
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:06   #45
username

Another image...[again..not distorted in any unnatural way]....it is just the pure effect of the water rolling off this beast..! Eyes may be drawn towards the more dolphin-like profile on the raising swell towards right of picture...[however..if you look to left of picture...you will see the piercing dark eye]!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	009 - Copy.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	241390  
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:31   #46
dantheman
Bah humbug

Watching this thread with interest; liking

Agree with Tim and Nick re the Skua, although I think it a slight shame it got morphed into an upside-down Hoopoe - the original is far too worthy on its own. (Also gettting a worrying feeling from the following images in post 29 - look more like scary porkers (animal farm nightmare?) to me ...!! )

Some captivating images at any rate .. the earlier owls especially

Before you leave owls for waters totally new, I have one 'altered' image if you would like/don't mind that I post?? ... (not quite in the same vein, or quality, but hey ... )

Dan
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:42   #47
birdboybowley

Cool Great White pics User......looks like we'll be heading there September-ish....as to the the previous postings...cool! Loved the original pencil skua - who'd've thought you had talent eh???? ha ha Did you really draw the wrinkly old dude too???

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:42   #48
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Watching this thread with interest; liking

Agree with Tim and Nick re the Skua, although I think it a slight shame it got morphed into an upside-down Hoopoe - the original is far too worthy on its own. (Also gettting a worrying feeling from the following images in post 29 - look more like scary porkers (animal farm nightmare?) to me ...!! )

Some captivating images at any rate .. the earlier owls especially

Before you leave owls for waters totally new, I have one 'altered' image if you would like/don't mind that I post?? ... (not quite in the same vein, or quality, but hey ... )

Dan
Scary porkers...? [chuckle]....tis all in the eye of the beholder this 'art-lark' Danthe!...and actually...it's all part of the interest, to me anyway, how folk interpret images....etc...
All good fun...and speaking of which..please do feel free to contribute with any images...or comments...that you might have....more the merrier!
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:56   #49
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
Cool Great White pics User......looks like we'll be heading there September-ish....as to the the previous postings...cool! Loved the original pencil skua - who'd've thought you had talent eh???? ha ha Did you really draw the wrinkly old dude too???
Great stuff Ads...roll on September-ish eh?....[dam...whenever i think of great whites i just wanna go back there]. Try and leave a few open windows..[so to speak]...regards dates on which to go sharking in South Africa. Can be a bit like organizing pelagics...all weather dependent...[when we went the sharky bloke told us that the previous week bad weather had scuppered some folks trips]...!
Guaranteed you will run out of superlatives if you clap eyes on Jaws!!....i was on cloud nine..[possibly even cloud ten]!...after the 'experience'...

ps...yes..i did draw the wrinkly old bloke...in carandache...[have i spelt that right]?...i could even show you a self portrait o mine....but i won't...because it will look tooo frightening...perhaps i will draw myself with a bag on me head....
Old Thursday 4th February 2010, 23:44   #50
birdboybowley

That face was damned good mate, really!! Never been good at people, especially when it came to adding colour to the portrait...top stuff! Sharks have me a-drooling already!

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: