Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.67 average.
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 00:53   #101
username

Thanks for all the very kind comments!...tis appreciated when i know that some o you folk enjoy my exploratory....and perhaps unconventional... interpretations of 'nature'..!

I am always very well aware that some of my images may not 'sit right' with some 'viewers' as it is far from traditional artists works...[guess maybe i'm more of a photographer than a 'true' artist]...what do i know?

ps...[Nick].....i love working with shadows!....am glad that you may have enjoyed some o them...! Natural objects subjected to a light source sometimes reveal very interesting hidden images...[interesting to me that is]!

pps...[Deborah4].....it is hard to describe the 'stuff' that i feel compelled to do sometimes! I was never a big fan of surrealists [perhaps surprisingly]....i was always more of a Monet/Chagall 'fan'... Am glad you enjoyed perusing my artistic? 'offerings'...

ppps...[Tim]...'Mutts nuts'...? Chuckle! Pleased you like the dragonfly image ....!
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 09:38   #102
ed keeble

dingin' falcon shadow too

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 10:26   #103
ChrissyM

I love the waterworld ones, spent hours taking dragonfly images last year. I love what you have done with this one. It almsot looks like that encaustic art which I would dearly love to have a play with too....but I get messy enough as it is without wax.

The cormorant works really well with that sort of wavy wave ;-)
Some really interesting images in here, nice to see a different side to photoshop. I confess to only using it as a necessary evil when my photo's need tweaking. Have you played with any of the HDR programs?

I also enjoyed the images you have taken with images from textures. Natures art :)
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 18:35   #104
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
I love the waterworld ones, spent hours taking dragonfly images last year. I love what you have done with this one. It almsot looks like that encaustic art which I would dearly love to have a play with too....but I get messy enough as it is without wax.

The cormorant works really well with that sort of wavy wave ;-)
Some really interesting images in here, nice to see a different side to photoshop. I confess to only using it as a necessary evil when my photo's need tweaking. Have you played with any of the HDR programs?

I also enjoyed the images you have taken with images from textures. Natures art :)
Dragonflies are one of my passions Chrissy! To think they spend most of their lives under water and then 'blossom' into these winged wonders....what an amazing life cycle...and such awesome predators!!

I am a complete novice with photoshop....[and am so busy having fun with my limited abilities that...as yet...i have not 'played' with the many functions]. And here i shall confess my ignorance...'what is an HDR program'..??!...[told you i was ignorant]...
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 18:42   #105
username

Couldn't resist taking these shots within the environment i found myself in today....

ps...the graffiti was not my artwork...and was presumably created by the local 'wildlife' artistes.....

pps...i did warn 'you' that i might post any images that intrigued me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	244987  Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	244988  Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	244989  Click image for larger version

Name:	005 (2).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	244990  
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 19:08   #106
timwootton

There's more of that stuff I like to call good! The buddleia behind the pipe is a terrific piece of observation - would make a very clever painting and the artists' colours on the grafitti pics I'm sure aren't in my colour-wheel (more's the pity).
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 19:11   #107
ChrissyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Dragonflies are one of my passions Chrissy! To think they spend most of their lives under water and then 'blossom' into these winged wonders....what an amazing life cycle...and such awesome predators!!
I agree. I have never really got into the insect thing until last year and the first one I got a good image of was a beautiful demoiselle. I couldn't believe the colours.......and so it went on. My entire mission in life became to capture a decent pic of a migrant hawker

Quote:
I am a complete novice with photoshop....[and am so busy having fun with my limited abilities that...as yet...i have not 'played' with the many functions]. And here i shall confess my ignorance...'what is an HDR program'..??!...[told you i was ignorant]...
I think you could spend a long time finding all the functions in photoshop.
HDR is short for High Dynamic Range. I don't have a program but I have been playing on a copy that my OH has. It is meant to make images look more real as experienced by the human eye...but I confess to manipulating images with it and making them look a little unreal but full of colour. I like colour :)
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 19:13   #108
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

great stuff, much as graffiti can be an eyesore, it is great from an art point of view ( I very much subscribe to the idea that art ain't always pretty) One of my favourite views of a wallcreeper was on a graffiti covered wall.

Who would paint their house lurid pink? Is Rod Hull reincarnated, and where is Emu?
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 19:21   #109
ChrissyM

Quote:
Couldn't resist taking these shots within the environment i found myself in today....

ps...the graffiti was not my artwork...and was presumably created by the local 'wildlife' artistes.....

pps...i did warn 'you' that i might post any images that intrigued me...
Both myself and another artist have been having a long debate over the net on our blogs....about "Who's art is it anyway? "
Much of it is where we have taken an image of something that started of as something a bit different. For example, I took a pic on holiday of a photographer who in turn was photographing a model ;-)

She took a great photo of a carving in the middle of a forest somewhere that had weathered and then passers by had added their own touches..

I do think that graffiti in certain circumstances has a certain appeal when weathered and battered by elements :)

I have a favourite old brick building that I keep meaning to stop at when the oil seed rape is in flower. I never managed last year and much to my disgust this lovely old brick tumble down building aquired a rather large "K" on it at the end of the year. I confess to being really annoyed but after the winter, it has weathered a little and I do think it has a certain something. I still wish I had stopped last year though
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 20:54   #110
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
great stuff, much as graffiti can be an eyesore, it is great from an art point of view ( I very much subscribe to the idea that art ain't always pretty) One of my favourite views of a wallcreeper was on a graffiti covered wall.

Who would paint their house lurid pink? Is Rod Hull reincarnated, and where is Emu?
Chuckle!!

Erm....how can i answer your question as to 'who' would paint their house pink...without perhaps offending certain sensibilities that some folk may hold..? The 'environment' in this particular part of Leicester, where i took these pix, is very 'run down' shall we say...sort of a throwback type wasteland...[think 'Shameless'] The pink building...is in fact...a massage parlor... [and no...i don't know the color of the 'inside' of 'establishment]...should you be tempted to ask!
I have a fascination...[yes...another one]!...with derelict 'places'....there is always something of 'interest' to my eyes...even if it's only a weed poking thru the concrete.....

ps...will post some more 'stuff' later...but in the meantime....here is an 'actual' image i took of...guess what?...yep...an owl..! It wasn't so much the owl that i found interesting...[which they always are of course]....but the the vivid pinky red farm machine on which it was perched....

ps...thanks for all the kind comments...[will respond soon to individuals...unless i get sidetracked again]...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	245009  
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 21:02   #111
Woody

I absolutely love old, derelict, rust ridden places. The problem of course is that they're often beloved of druggies and gangstas too! But there's always something interesting to see and you've picked out some good stuff there.

I've been photographing bits of an old railway bridge recently, all rust and decrepitness.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 21:05   #112
nickderry

lol, don't worry - stereotypically I'm one of those certain sensibilities supposed to live in a lurid pink house - well what's what they said at school anyway. Nothing offensive in there, Still, doubt I would go that far!
Superb place to catch a little owl there, it's been too long since I last saw one, they're such great little birds and this is a great little scene you've captured!
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 21:36   #113
ChrissyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I absolutely love old, derelict, rust ridden places. The problem of course is that they're often beloved of druggies and gangstas too! But there's always something interesting to see and you've picked out some good stuff there.

I've been photographing bits of an old railway bridge recently, all rust and decrepitness.

Mike
Hmmm, great inspiration by username...perhaps we need a rust and decrepitness thread...I do have a few contenders myself.........
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 21:47   #114
username

Quote:

Mike
The textures and colors of aging 'materials' always captivates me...whether metal...wood..stone...etc. My 'beachcombing' proclivities are ever-present...even amidst dereliction...!
I have acquired all sorts of 'bits and pieces' on my world wide travels...[attached is a pic of just 'some' of the many stones that have come from all corners of the planet]....

ps...am particularly fond of desert terrain.....and the sculptures produced therein....[the 'artist' being the natural weathering elements].....

pps...[Nick]...thing i like about that little owl pic is the fact that there is a jagged crack in metalwork just below him]...!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	020.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	245021  
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 23:21   #115
timwootton

WOW (again) this really is one feck of an image, I just had to re-share it. The crack is almost ridiculously perfect (like a comic book lightning bolt).
Cracking job!!! - sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.JPG
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	245039  
Old Friday 26th February 2010, 08:55   #116
username

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
WOW (again) this really is one feck of an image, I just had to re-share it. The crack is almost ridiculously perfect (like a comic book lightning bolt).
Cracking job!!! - sorry.
It makes for an unusual setting doesn't it..? [and no 'tinkering' with image on my part]!
I have a great love of 'this sort' of juxtaposition regards nature subjects. Sometimes 'such a happening'..[like the little owl comp]...is so fleeting...that even if i were to possess the great artistic skills with paint/pencil etc...[like some of you guys have]..i would not be able to capture the moment to my satisfaction. I always have my mobile phone camera with me...[which is my 'fleeting image' capture device]!....so even if a 'happening' occurs...maybe owing to a particular direction of light/shadow....i can 'preserve' the scene instantly.

ps...the comic book lightening effect probably particularly appealed as i am an old comic book 'fiend'....[love super heroes n villains]..sci-fi...etc. [think this sci-fi influence leaks thru into my images at times...if not all the time...

pps...i am even working on images of 'wildlife' that may occur on other planets........[yes...i am 'bonkers']...
Old Friday 26th February 2010, 10:02   #117
Woody

Just thought I'd share a couple of the bridge images. Fascinating stuff, I've got loads!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rust1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	245077  Click image for larger version

Name:	rust2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	245078  Click image for larger version

Name:	rust3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	245079  Click image for larger version

Name:	rust4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	245080  Click image for larger version

Name:	rust5.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	245081  

Old Friday 26th February 2010, 10:17   #118
Woody

And on a similar vein to your excellent lil'owl.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kesinbarn.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	245083  

Old Friday 26th February 2010, 10:54   #119
nickderry

these textures and patterns are as rich as a Klimt, Mike.
Old Friday 26th February 2010, 11:20   #120
timwootton

All good stuff.
Old Friday 26th February 2010, 14:01   #121
username

Quote:
Just thought I'd share a couple of the bridge images. Fascinating stuff, I've got loads!

Mike
I found that 2nd 'rust pic' of yours interesting Mike. It reminds me of continental drift...! In that 2nd pic the rust patch to the left looks like North America and the gulf of Mexico...the un-rusted parts of metal have a water quality.....[or maybe it's just my eyes and an over active imagination...?!

Nice Kes picture...love the yellowed moss roof tiles. My mate has got some wonderful shots of Lesser Kestrel in Spain set against 'such' tiling...without which...all you have is just a pic of a Lesser Kes. Which is fine...but the background is oh so important...[i seem to be a master of stating the b******g obvious...apologies to all you fine artists]!
There's so many bird photographers around these days who think that all they have to do is get an 'in focus' close shot of a bird...[which is okay...but]....they don't appeal to me on an artistic level...ie...no composition...no thought to backdrops etc....

ps...[Nick]...Klimt..!! Now your talking..!

pps...[Ed]....you mentioned that 'shadow falcon' image a whiles back...i was quite amazed how 'it' appeared thru playing with a piece of 'interesting' wood of mine. I think that within every 'object' there is another image waiting to be released....
Old Friday 26th February 2010, 20:19   #122
birdboybowley

Some great images on here User....I have a penchant for reflections, clouds..and as much as i dislike abstract art, I love abstract in nature

Name:	cambodia 06 (22) (Large).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	245157Click image for larger version

Name:	cambodia 06 (570) (Large).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	245158Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz 06 Broome - Lamington (447) (Large).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	245159Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz 06 Pt 1 Perth - Broome (640) (Large).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	245160Click image for larger version

Name:	WA 04 (535) (Large).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	245161

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 26th February 2010, 20:21   #123
birdboybowley

And of course, the plain silly....!

Name:	France 03 (251) (Large).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	245162

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 26th February 2010, 20:54   #124
username

Love those reflection pics Birdyboy....[gorgeous 3rd image....and great combination in 4th pic forming that 'creature']...

And really like the 'silly-un' too.....!

Both these attached images are 'water' based...and one relates to the earlier graffiti...[whilst a local pond was 'dry' someone did a 'scribble' on the side of concrete basin...i noticed this when the pond filled up again whilst looking for dragonflies]!
Second image again is a pond and the complex root system around the edges...[and yes'''i've obviously 'tinkered' a bit with image]...

ps...birding highlight of the day was a female peregrine over Leicester town center...[or as Frankie Boyle calls Leicester City center...'its like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle Show].....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	245171  Click image for larger version

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	245172  
Old Saturday 27th February 2010, 00:02   #125
ed keeble

Quote:

pps...[Ed]....you mentioned that 'shadow falcon' image a whiles back...i was quite amazed how 'it' appeared thru playing with a piece of 'interesting' wood of mine. I think that within every 'object' there is another image waiting to be released....
It was the flickering wingtip that just made that one. As for inanimate objects that have the subliminal but unmistakeable jizz of special birds, well that's a topic in itself..personally I can never see a compact little WWII Sherman tank without thinking of a Wallcreeper with its swivelly turrety head and beak..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	w creeper scan0001 copy.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	245192  

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: