Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 5th February 2010, 12:47   #1
Ruby

Birdwatching Magazine - Kent Sightings

Hi,

As readers of Birdwatching magazine will know, there is a section containing details of rare or notable bird sightings, which is organized on a county basis and submitted by volunteer compilers.

For the last 3.5 years, the sightings for Kent has been compiled and submitted by yours truly, despite the fact that I actually live in Surrey (that'll teach me to complain, when I noted that the sightings for Kent were hitherto absent!!)

This wasn't too much of an issue at first, as I used to visit the usual Kent birding hotspots fairly regularly, but these days my birdwatching is pretty-much confined to local patchwork here in Surrey. The crunch is shortly to arrive, as I will be moving house and am therefore likely to spent even less time in Kent.

So..... is there anyone out there willing to take on this duty - it takes about an hour or so a month to compile - as I feel that I've done my stint (geddit) over the last few years. Obviously it would be quite a shame if one of the premiere bird-watching counties in the UK reverted back to being unrepresented.....so come on you Kent birders, the plate is waiting to be stepped up to!!

Rgds.... Ray
Old Friday 5th February 2010, 19:37   #2
Cheshire Birder

It would be a sad state of affairs for such a good county not to appear in Birdwatching magazine.

CB
Old Saturday 6th February 2010, 08:14   #3
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Birder View Post
It would be a sad state of affairs for such a good county not to appear in Birdwatching magazine.

CB
My thoughts exactly!!

I was shocked when I noticed that Kent (alone amongst virtually all UK counties) was absent from the mag in the first place, and even more shocked when no one from Kent could be found who might like to take up the baton - which is why I've been doing it for the last 3.5 years.

In addition to this plea, I have also put a request out on the Kent Ornithological Society forum and, fair to say, am yet to be trampled in the rush of volunteers!

Rgds.... Ray
Old Saturday 6th February 2010, 15:10   #4
gordon hamlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
Hi,

As readers of Birdwatching magazine will know, there is a section containing details of rare or notable bird sightings, which is organized on a county basis and submitted by volunteer compilers.

For the last 3.5 years, the sightings for Kent has been compiled and submitted by yours truly, despite the fact that I actually live in Surrey (that'll teach me to complain, when I noted that the sightings for Kent were hitherto absent!!)

Rgds.... Ray

Hi Ray,

I've edited your copy for BW every month so thanks for all your input. If you drop Matt Merrit an email at the magazine, I'm sure that he will try and find a replacement for you. As you say, we need a Kent report.

Cheers,

Gordon
Old Saturday 6th February 2010, 15:38   #5
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon hamlett View Post
Hi Ray,

I've edited your copy for BW every month so thanks for all your input. If you drop Matt Merrit an email at the magazine, I'm sure that he will try and find a replacement for you. As you say, we need a Kent report.

Cheers,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon - I remember the conversations that we had at the time (about tide tables!)...

I've alerted Matt that I will probably have to finish up, but I had hoped to find him a ready-made replacement - it'll make me feel a bit better if I don't just shuffle off and leave the post unfilled....

All the best... Ray
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: