• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difficult thrush? Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Coati

Yo Vi Quetzales!
;)
Caribbean Lowlands

Poor image but need for list

Swainsons?

Ta
Rich

Attachments

• IMG_2431Swainsons Thrush.jpg
    IMG_2431Swainsons Thrush.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 164
Hmm, listed in Caribbean Lowlands, uncommon on Caribbean slope?

thanks for suggestion, it may be that sorry pic is not good

No more pics Motmot - sorry.
I'm just going through the tail end of trip pics in the vain hope of adding more to the list :)

Canesten , very funny!

Rich

My gut feeling was White-throated Thrush, based on the upperpart colouration and heavy throat streaking (Cley-coloured Thrush would be paler and warmer above and have slightly thinner streaks). However, individuals do vary and could well be a Cley-coloured. White-throated Thrush can be seen down to nearly sea level. I would expect White-throated Thrush in forest, while Cley-coloured would be in more open country (with some overlap in the middle).

Tom

Hi
Birdboy -sorry for delay

pic was taken near Puerto Viejo, so Caribbean lowland in secondary forest/farm environment. October time
looks too chunky for a Clay colored - I wish it had turned round lol
Rich

Hi
Birdboy -sorry for delay

pic was taken near Puerto Viejo, so Caribbean lowland in secondary forest/farm environment. October time
looks too chunky for a Clay colored - I wish it had turned round lol
Rich

Not saying it can't be a W-t Thrush but that would be a (very) rare bird on location. I lived there for 6 months and also have birded the whole south caribbean area many times and never found this species. C-c Thrush would be much more likely.

Edit: you mean Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí (NE caribbean lowlands) or P.Viejo de Talamanca (SE caribbean lowlands/coast)? A classical crican question...

Last edited:
That would be de Talamanca; CR is amusing sometimes as loads of places have the same names as I'm sure you know.Where did you live btw?

Rich

looks too chunky for a Clay colored

Not to sound rude, but I find it weird that you're ruling out Clay-colored based on chunkiness, yet originally considered Swainson's Thrush to be an option.

My vote is for Clay-colored, for what it's worth.

Not to sound rude, but I find it weird that you're ruling out Clay-colored based on chunkiness, yet originally considered Swainson's Thrush to be an option.

My vote is for Clay-colored, for what it's worth.
Swainsons was a poor idea
I don't know what possessed me lol
As a beginner I must learn to take ALL factors into consideration when making ID.s

Rich

It could well be a Clay-coloured Thrush. Looking through my photos I see that they tend to be much paler brown than this bird, but it could be affected by shade. In any case, there is a lot of variation. I have attached a picture (second photo) of one that is at the duller end of the spectrum and similar to the Costa Rican bird. I was also looking at the throat markings and many Clay-coloured Thrushes have streaking that is similar to the Costa Rican bird.
Nearly all the White-throated Thrush photos in my collection show a very clear yellow orbital, but the one attached (first photo, taken in January, so not a juv) does not seem to show it (assuming I did not make a mistake in the identification of this bird, which I am starting to think is a real possibility). The eye of the Costa Rican bird is a bit covered over, but clearly does not show the distinctive eye ring seen on most White-throated thrushes (see third photo).
I'm coming round to Clay-coloured, but still not 100% sure.

Tom

All photos taken in El Salvador - 1 by John Jackson, 2 by me, and 3 by Leti Andino

Attachments

• Whi-th Thrush Cerro Verde Jan 05 J. Jackson.jpg
    Whi-th Thrush Cerro Verde Jan 05 J. Jackson.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 51
  • Cley-c. Thrush ABC Oct 03.JPG
    Cley-c. Thrush ABC Oct 03.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 46
  • SVIM, Turdus assimilis Nov 06 LA (1).jpg
    SVIM, Turdus assimilis Nov 06 LA (1).jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 43
Hi Tom

You did make a mistake with that first thrush: it is a Rufous-collared (Turdus rufitorques). It was on the volcano (Santa Ana?) near San Salvador.

John

Hi Tom

You did make a mistake with that first thrush: it is a Rufous-collared (Turdus rufitorques). It was on the volcano (Santa Ana?) near San Salvador.

John
You are absolutely correct. Here is a second shot of the same bird showing the white streaking to the undertail coverts, which Howell and Webb describes as distinctive. I haven't looked at one of these all dark immatures before and I guess I may well have been missing them in the past. As you guessed, the photo was taken at Cerro Verde, which is beside Santa Ana.
With that one cleared up I am also now pretty convinced that my guess of White-throated Thrush for the Costa Rican bird was also in error. It seems that it must have been a Clay-coloured Thrush.
For the record, Rufous-collared Thrush is not found much further south than El Salvador and certainly has never been seen near Costa Rica.

Tom

Attachments

• Whi-th Thrush Cerro Verde Jan 05 J. Jackson (1).jpg
    Whi-th Thrush Cerro Verde Jan 05 J. Jackson (1).jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back