• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (5 Viewers)

Thanks, been to the area several times over the years not just for Green Woodpecker! Lesser Spotted is high on my list "to see" but no luck anywhere so far.

Very little chance of Lesser Spot in Falmouth I'm afraid. I think I've heard of some old reports in the Truro area and some might just exist in the far east of the county but reports are very sporadic.

Green Woodpecker should be fairly easy to get in the Cemetery at Swanpool though.

Thanks, been to the area several times over the years not just for Green Woodpecker! Lesser Spotted is high on my list "to see" but no luck anywhere so far.

Over the border on the eastern edge of Dartmoor, Yarner Woods is a top spot for Lesser Spotted. I did a recce and a subsequent visit there just before Christmas with a mate from Australia just to get LSW, saw it on both occasions, although the second time was only briefly. Great spot for close views of Marsh Tit also as they come to the feeders there.

Off of Falmouth Hotel today 09:30: 45+ Divers (mostly Black-throated in a loose raft). 4+ grebes, 1 Red-necked, 1 Slavonian and, later, 3 unidentified heading towards Swanpool.

Hi Samuel
I have recently found quite a few dead frogs at College Reservoir.
Have just reported it to the email address in your link.
At first I thaught it might be Heron leftovers but reading that article I fear not.

Colleague at work told me about a Wagtail roost inside the grounds of Treliske. Hundreds of birds gathering about 620pm (that was yesterday) in an enclosed kinda courtyard surrounded by hospital blocks.

Colleague at work told me about a Wagtail roost inside the grounds of Treliske. Hundreds of birds gathering about 620pm (that was yesterday) in an enclosed kinda courtyard surrounded by hospital blocks.

Yes quite a sight when you are so close.
They must have been using it for some time. I saw them about 6 years ago when visiting.

I was down on Lizard today surveying Marsh Frits but saw this from the car lying at the side of the A394 on the way back (near the entrance to the quarry). Would have been a welcome patch bird :-C

Attachments

• DSC03876.jpg
    DSC03876.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03877.jpg
    DSC03877.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC03878.jpg
    DSC03878.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 32
Quick early patrol out at 8am this morning

Swanpool
15 Fulmar on or above cliffs towards Sunny Cove
Goldcrest
Shags
BH Gulls

Tunnel Beach
Razorbill
GN Diver
Shags

A quick nip down to Swanpool with bins and camera.

The 3rd winter Med Gull was still using the lagoon. I also heard the distinctive trilling of a Firecrest on the East side of Swanpool, roughly half way along the length of the lagoon, in the area of woodland bordering the Cemetery. Sure enough, a couple seconds patience was rewarded with decent but brief view of the stunner before it receded back into the woodland singing.

The 3rd winter Med Gull was still using the lagoon. I also heard the distinctive trilling of a Firecrest on the East side of Swanpool, roughly half way along the length of the lagoon, in the area of woodland bordering the Cemetery. Sure enough, a couple seconds patience was rewarded with decent but brief view of the stunner before it receded back into the woodland singing.

Firecrest is a good spot. I only bagged them at Devoran and Hayle last year. Not in the Falmouth area :-O

Firecrest is a good spot. I only bagged them at Devoran and Hayle last year. Not in the Falmouth area :-O

Might well be hanging around for a while longer. ;) It was singing quite regularly from the holly bushes on the other side of the road and was viewable from half way section on the East side of Swanpool, roughly where the benches and bin are.

Might well be hanging around for a while longer. ;) It was singing quite regularly from the holly bushes on the other side of the road and was viewable from half way section on the East side of Swanpool, roughly where the benches and bin are.

Excellent! I'll have a sniff around ;)

Went Stithians Res on the way home after work:
4 GC Grebe (2 pairs)
Slav Grebe
Cormorant
(No Sand Martins yet)

Also Swanpool/Swanvale
GS Woodpecker calling from tree by pump station
Redwing in Swanvale NR (bit surprised to see that one)
4 Robins in extreme close vicinity
Long Tailed Tits

LBB Gulls and GBB Gulls at the washing station on the pool

Last edited:
A few more updates to come but a bit busy with deadlines at the mo.

Found a couple Mallards in weird places last Friday and Sunday. A bit weird to see at least 4 Mallards feeding and resting in the surf zone off Castle Beach and it was the first time I've ever knowingly seen a pair of Mallard in Swanvale!

Attachments

• DSC04299.jpg
    DSC04299.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC04198.jpg
    DSC04198.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 39

The 3rd winter Med Gull was still using the lagoon. I also heard the distinctive trilling of a Firecrest [/B

Found a couple Mallards!

Nice to read that you've managed to connect with some actual live birds for a change - congrats on the Mallard especially ( ;) )

Mostly been quiet for me - two Swallows so far this spring, Black Stork over north, plenty of Red and Black Kites, that kind of thing.

Divers and stuff still about?

Nice to read that you've managed to connect with some actual live birds for a change - congrats on the Mallard especially ( ;) )

Mostly been quiet for me - two Swallows so far this spring, Black Stork over north, plenty of Red and Black Kites, that kind of thing.

Divers and stuff still about?

Good to hear from you :t: Glad nothing too gripping yet 8-P I'll be heading to Germany between 13-21st April so good to know the Black Kites are on the move, really hoping I connect with some this time.

If I was keeping a Swanvale list I'm sure I'd be punching the air when I saw those Mallard!

Diver numbers have decreased substantially since you left, particularly between 1st and 15th March. However, numbers weren't too bad today though with 13+ BTDs (including 1 sum. plum.) in the bay with 5 GNDs, 1 RNG and a Slav. I also found a 1st winter Black Guille on Friday!

I checked the Falmouth Cemetery again today for the Firecrest and did hear it singing heartily near the chapel but I never actually set eyes on it.

Apologies for the lack of posts on here, I've been a bit busy etc (excuses excuses 8-P ). I have kept my blog relatively up to date with more sightings so it's defo worth a check if you want a more thorough account of recent patching :king:

Attachments

• DSC04126.jpg
    DSC04126.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 53
I have kept my blog relatively up to date with more sightings so it's defo worth a check if you want a more thorough account of recent patching

I try and look now and then ;)

Spring is here! Flock of 39 swallow over Asda carpark about 18:45.

There's usually good numbers of Sand Martin passing through College Res at around this time, followed by the Swallows a little later. House Martins then can follow, but they're a bit intermittent, then the Swifts a month or so later.

Catkins etc out, but not quite as spring-like in vegetation terms as I was expecting!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back