Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 28th March 2010, 17:20   #26
colleenc

lovely work, maybe Vagabonds for a title, since we have no idea where they are from the spare bg.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th March 2010, 05:16   #27
inghamb87

Jackie, that looks more like a picture than a painting! Amazing job.
Old Monday 29th March 2010, 09:53   #28
Woody

A couple of swells!

Can't help but think of Fred Astaire and all those 'Top hat and tails' type films whenever I see penguins.

Lovely painting with a bucket-load of character.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Monday 29th March 2010, 10:36   #29
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

gorgeous piece of work, an instant smile, and happy days on the beach - I'm sort of reminded of Mary Poppins' day out in it.
Old Friday 2nd April 2010, 20:20   #30
Jackie Garner

Nothing to do with my art, but just thought I'd highlight an exhibition in the UK (Gloucester, to be precise) of interest to birders. Nature in Art www.nature-in-art.org.uk is showing a selection of work by George Lodge to celebrate the 150th anniversary of his birth. Unsurpassed in portraying raptors, he's probably best known for his plates for Bannerman's "Birds of the British Isles". This is a rare opportunity to see Lodge's originals instead of reproductions. The exhibition's on until 9th May, so don't miss it!
Old Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:11   #31
Woody

Wish I was closer to this one Jackie. I love George Lodge's work.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Saturday 3rd April 2010, 07:51   #32
RussB
Going for Gold

Just checked your stuff out Jackie - the Great Grey Shrike is simply wonderful, and would look very nice on my living room wall! I'll definitely be dropping in at the Birdfair. Keep 'em coming.

Russ
Old Tuesday 6th April 2010, 17:03   #33
Jackie Garner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
Keep 'em coming.
OK, here's another one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackcap sketches.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	252020  
Old Tuesday 6th April 2010, 17:13   #34
colleenc

lots of attitude with a min of detail...and your signature play of pencil with wc very nice.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

Old Tuesday 6th April 2010, 19:47   #35
RussB
Going for Gold

Wonderful Blackcaps, Jackie. Tell me please, what pencil and paper combination are you using for the sketches? As a bit of novice climbing a steep learning curve I have to ask everybody this!

I'm continually inspired by the art work on this site.

Cheers

Russ
Old Tuesday 6th April 2010, 20:27   #36
Jackie Garner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
What pencil and paper combination are you using for the sketches? As a bit of novice climbing a steep learning curve I have to ask everybody this!
No, you're not a novice - you've posted some lovely sketches on BF.

I almost always use Derwent Graphic 3B or 4B pencil for sketches, though for this particular piece I used a 2B, but only because I picked up the wrong pencil without realising! The paper was Fabriano Artistico Extra White, Cold Pressed surface, though I sometimes use Hot Pressed if I want a really detailed piece. I used watercolour paper as I knew from the outset I wanted to use a mixture of paint and pencil. Had it just been pencil I would have used a fairly smooth cartridge - probably Arboreta as I like the off-white surface that doesn't give off so much glare in bright sunlight.

Hope that helps.
Old Tuesday 6th April 2010, 20:36   #37
nickderry

love this sheet Jackie - it seems all the blackcaps have arrived here now, they were singing everywhere today and those big curious eyes peering past that snouty fine bill are as real on this page as they are in the field. Great stuff.
Old Wednesday 7th April 2010, 02:28   #38
solitaryVSong

I was about to say that you've gotten some very nice gestures here. But I didn't know what the birds are since they don't look familiar to my American eyes. Now I know what they are. So: nice sense of movement in those black caps!

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 15th April 2010, 11:44   #39
Jackie Garner

The new Bird Art and Photography magazine has just dropped through the studio letterbox. What a fabulous publication. Articles on John Busby and John Gale and a terrific "artist's sketchbook" feature from Chris Rose make this an inspiring debut for the magazine. There's a gallery guide, book fests and factual information too - plus some stunning photographic images. Highly recommended! Here's the link:
http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/ope...andphotography
Old Friday 16th April 2010, 12:13   #40
buzzard12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
love this sheet Jackie - it seems all the blackcaps have arrived here now, they were singing everywhere today and those big curious eyes peering past that snouty fine bill are as real on this page as they are in the field. Great stuff.
Yet to see one here, judging from your thread I reckon France gets the spring migrants about 4 weeks ahead of Sweden, unfair head start in my humble opinion
Blackcap page is superb, buzzing with life and suppleness. So very well seen and drawn, thanks for posting...
Old Friday 16th April 2010, 12:16   #41
buzzard12

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12 View Post
Yet to see one here, judging from your thread I reckon France gets the spring migrants about 4 weeks ahead of Sweden, unfair head start in my humble opinion
Blackcap page is superb, buzzing with life and suppleness. So very well seen and drawn, thanks for posting...
Interesting new magazine, looks mouthwatering and sure to be unavailable of the shelves here in Sweden...
Old Saturday 17th April 2010, 17:40   #42
clive2604

hi jackie,lovely page of blackcaps! thanks for the link for the mag it looks very interesting ive just ordered one!
Old Tuesday 20th April 2010, 10:22   #43
Jackie Garner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12 View Post
Interesting new magazine, looks mouthwatering and sure to be unavailable of the shelves here in Sweden...
I think it's subscription only wherever you are. They're website probably gives more information about availability overseas.
Old Tuesday 20th April 2010, 10:34   #44
Jackie Garner

Exciting news for me - the Bird Fair team have invited me to be the guest artist demonstrator for their "Spotlight On..." event. Each year they choose a different artist to demonstrate a painting from start to finish in front of an audience - in just one hour. That last bit is slightly scary as my paintings usually take a good deal longer than that! Never mind, I'm up for the challenge. Previous artists have been Chris Rose, Ian Lewington, Bruce Pearson, Peter Partington and Darren Woodhead, so I'm in very good company. It will be on the Saturday lunchtime in the events marquee, so if that's your day for Bird Fair - come on down.
Old Tuesday 20th April 2010, 17:21   #45
colleenc

fantastic Jackie congratulations! burrrr....I'm way too shy in front of others to do that, can hardly draw if someone else is around... even just out sketching.

Old Tuesday 20th April 2010, 19:55   #46
RussB
Going for Gold

I usually attend on the Friday, Jackie. I spend at least a couple of hours in the Art marquee browsing through sketchbooks - this is heaven for me. Anyway, I shall call at your stand. I'm after a Great Grey Shrike portrait, by the way, so I'll be doing extra browsing this year!

Russ
Old Tuesday 20th April 2010, 21:26   #47
nickderry

You'll love it Jackie, though it can be stressful painting in front of groups of people - just take some nurofen with you just in case - last time I painted at a public thing I had a terrible headache.
Old Wednesday 21st April 2010, 10:50   #48
Jackie Garner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
You'll love it Jackie, though it can be stressful painting in front of groups of people - just take some nurofen with you just in case - last time I painted at a public thing I had a terrible headache.
Good tip, Nick - and I think a nice glass of wine afterwards might be quite therapeutic too!!! Seriously, I'm looking forward to it. I'm used to painting in public and doing talks and demos for art or wildlife groups. The timescale's a little shorter than usual but as long as I'm well prepared I should be ok.
Old Wednesday 21st April 2010, 11:01   #49
Jackie Garner

On the subject of painting in public, what's the best/funniest/most ridiculous comment any of you have experienced while wielding a paintbrush? One of my favourites was someone who heaped praise my sketch of a moorhen and then said "What is it?". I hope they were just unfamiliar with the species rather than being unable to recognise it from the sketch, but you never know!

Another favourite was the occasion when two young girls were watching me sketch. One suggested I should charge £19.99 for the sketch, whereupon the other fell about in peals of laughter and said "No one's going to pay that much for it!". That gave me a laugh too.
Old Wednesday 21st April 2010, 11:27   #50
nickderry

I often paint outside, but usually there are very few people about to see, and most of them are either birdwatchers or just plain ignorant of what I'm doing. In Lanzarote, I was sketching trumpeter finches through my scope in the Timanfaya National Park, when all of a sudden two gun-wielding Guardia Civil appeared in front of me waving their fingers and shouting "no fotos!, no fotos!", trying to remember any Spanish I had (a few weeks before my first Spanish lesson) I replied, "no fotos! erm, dessiner, er pencil, aves, uccelli, birds, fincho trumpetero" and invited them to look through my scope, "ah Crows!" they exclaimed, laughed and walked off with a "no hay problema".

The only time I've ever painted at a bird fair (fête de la nature Seloncourt) also known as a little mushroom exhibition in a village hall. I had so many children trying to touch the painting, I nearly stabbed one with a pencil. The ones that always make me laugh are the ones that say they don't like what I do at all. In the words of the great Dr Frank 'n' Furter "I didn't make him, for YOU!" One at my Slimbridge exhibition thought he was talking to Andy Forkner, and told me how much he admired one of my owls (that wasn't mine) and how he thought that Mr Derry's modern crap was rubbish. Well, I was on my 4th glass of free wine at this point - after agreeing with him, and saying that I can do much better, getting more and more insults out of him, I finally let the penny drop (his wife had already understood - I just gave her a wink and a smile) and led him over to Andy where he bought the painting off him straight away. I wonder if it was him that came back a few weeks later and bought the only one I sold - (the cheapest one in there!)

Ah, people are fun sometimes.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: