• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do blackbirds... (1 Viewer)

mary99

make strange calls at dusk?

My daughter and I saw a bird on ariel of a house last night. It was blackbird sized and was black (but against the sky hard to tell) with a thin beak (not orange)

It was making a low 'pink pink pink' sound with a robot like trill at the end it reminded me a bit of a myna bird... my description may leave a lot to be desired as I'm a newbie.

Can blackbirds do this or was it something else? It was quite a quiet call so not an alarm call.

I've tried the rspb identifier but unless it was blackbird I have no idea.

The pink-pink-pink call is classic Blackbird at dusk, somtimes it means dont mess with me, or your in my roosting place to another Blackbird. But Blackbirds being as they are sometimes he could just be letting off steam after a bad day!! As the season is now getting underway, maybe another male took off with the female he was trying to woo.

I find that the Male Blackbird makes all sorts of sound anytime of the day lol. I have actually sometimes heard that shrill alarm call that they have in the middle of the night oddly enough. I think the Female can make that shrill too. I know she can make like a clucking noise, like a ticking noise to herself. But Male blackbirds are noisy, but still is one of my favorite bird singers ever. Reallys feels like Spring and Summer for me whenever I hear a Blackbird sing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back